All three sets are now available at my website: www.Zactomodels.com

MiG-23 Splitter Plates:

Front_quarter.jpg

MiG-23 Pylons:

Pylons_side.jpg

APU-60-1 Launch Rails:

APU-60_BD3_Aphid.jpg

(Shown with MiG-21 BD3-60-21 pylon and R-60 Aphid Missile, both sold separately at my website.).

APU-60-2 Dual Aphid Launch Rails:

APU-60-2_6.jpg

(Shown with MiG-23 pylons and Aphid missiles, both sold separately at my website.).

:thumbsup:

Edited by Zactoman

Pylons are finished and I'm working on the instructions for them.

The set will include the two large APU-23s and four BD3-60-23s (2 for fuselage and 2 optional for wings)

APU-23_8.jpg

APU-23_9.jpg

More pictures >>>here<<<.

APU-60 Single Aphid launch rail is finished and soon to be released (shown on MiG-21 pylon with Aphid). These will be sold in pairs.

APU-60_Aphid_2.jpg

Dual Aphid launcher will also be done.

Creating the patterns for the splitter plates has proven to be a real challenge (for my eyes).

I began by creating accurate drawings in Illustrator.

I machined the side profile in a chunk of plastic and spray mounted a printout of the drawings.

Then came the challenging part, the holes.

Round one:

Poke holes through the drawing with a very sharp needle:

Holes1.jpg

Despite being very careful to poke the center of each mark the resulting pattern wasn't perfect.

Round two:

Adjust the hole positions with a slightly larger needle (compass point):

Holes2.jpg

The black wash is water soluble pencil (Stabillo All #8046).

Round three:

Using a larger compass point poke the holes to the proper diameter and depth:

Holes3.jpg

And wet sand with 1200.

Round four:

Fix mistakes and adjust holes:

Holes4.jpg

That's 1,442 times 3 = 4,326 pokes times two sides = 8,652 plus adjustments and corrections!

My eyes! :thumbsup:

More to come...

:cheers:

Those splitter plates look awesome, I'm glad you're making them because the kit's PE plates are so lame. And man you are insane.

As usual, my Paypal account is waiting.

With Zacto plates + TwoMikes cockpit + Linden Hill decals + Aires wheel bays, my MiG will be ready for the workbench. YEAH!

Terry

Edited by loftycomfort
Creating the patterns for the splitter plates has proven to be a real challenge (for my eyes).

That's 1,442 times 3 = 4,326 pokes times two sides = 8,652 plus adjustments and corrections!

My eyes! :D

More to come...

:whistle:

OMG!!! Chris! This is not just a real challenge, I would say - a real modeling exploit!

Bravo and my worship to the Master! :D

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

p.s. Take care of your eyes.

I began by creating accurate drawings in Illustrator.

I machined the side profile in a chunk of plastic and spray mounted a printout of the drawings.

Then came the challenging part, the holes.

Round one:

Poke holes through the drawing with a very sharp needle:

Holes1.jpg

Despite being very careful to poke the center of each mark the resulting pattern wasn't perfect.

Round two:

Adjust the hole positions with a slightly larger needle (compass point):

Holes2.jpg

The black wash is water soluble pencil (Stabillo All #8046).

Round three:

Using a larger compass point poke the holes to the proper diameter and depth:

Holes3.jpg

And wet sand with 1200.

Round four:

Fix mistakes and adjust holes:

Holes4.jpg

My eyes! :thumbsup:

More to come...

Please release this part in 1/72. :woo:

Chris, those intakes look great!

My original plan was to modify (basically build out of scratch) the intake splitter plates. I considered the perforations to be the biggest challenge, but since it looks you've managed to overcome the issue, I'll happily pay you for doing that tedious job!

• 2 weeks later...
Please release this part in 1/72. :thumbsup:
No :wave:
Can't wait! Will you be offering a combo pack of the pylons and intakes?
No combo pack. I'll be pricing each item as low as I think I can to still be profitable.

I do offer combined shipping though so there are some savings to be had.

I just ask that if you want to order multiple items (anything more than 1 item) to please e-mail me a list. I will then send a custom Paypal invoice with discounted shipping.

One side mostly finished:

Splitter5.jpg

Just a few small brackets to add to the back side for the cable cutters(?)/braces that go between the splitter plates and the fuselage. The kit includes 2 photo-etch parts per side for this where there should be 6 per side. I'll have the mounts on the splitter plates and include strip styrene for the actual brackets.

Splitter6.jpg

I will be posting these and additional pictures on my website with a text description of the steps required to improve the kit intakes.

Here in the front view you can see that I have increased the radius on the top corner and thinned the leading edges:

Intake1.jpg

Looking at the sides you can see that in thinning the leading edge I have removed the material from the outsides of the part and managed to add a curve the forward section:

Intake2.jpg

The forward portion of the underside should be relatively flat rather than curved:

Intake3.jpg

Intake4.jpg

A few minor tweaks make them look much more convincing.

More to come...

:thumbsup:

Amazing is right. Y'know, there's just *something* evvvvver so slightly PHAMILIAR about those intakes. I Just can't place it though... :jaw-dropping:

They say imitation is the sincerest phorm of phlattery!

J

Amazing is right. Y'know, there's just *something* evvvvver so slightly PHAMILIAR about those intakes. I Just can't place it though... :salute:

They say imitation is the sincerest phorm of phlattery!

J

Jennings,

I think the last poster who claimed that the MiG-23 splitter plate/intakes were copied from an F4 was shot down in flames.......

Once photos of the two were shown.

Just saying.......

Ken

Maybe not "copied", but you can't tell me there wasn't influence. Heavy influence. It's a fact that the tires on MiG-23s (at least the first generation) are the exact same size as F-4 tires, as they expected to quickly overrun USAFE F-4 bases, and would thus have a ready supply of superior quality tires. Or so I was told :salute:

J

Maybe not "copied", but you can't tell me there wasn't influence. Heavy influence. It's a fact that the tires on MiG-23s (at least the first generation) are the exact same size as F-4 tires, as they expected to quickly overrun USAFE F-4 bases, and would thus have a ready supply of superior quality tires. Or so I was told :thumbsup:

J

I took a photo at RIAT 1993 - at RAF Fairford during the first visit by a Tu-95MS.

It was parked next to a USAF B-52 - and was being 'refueled' from a USAF LOX cart.

IIRC, all the 'fittings' on WARPAC aircraft were NATO compatible - electrical & fuel connections etc.

Ken