Bomb Squads Probing Suspicious Cargo Flights

Hi Holmes,

I just heard on the news that the one in the UK was not a bomb but was made to look like a bomb. I suppose they were testing out our security measures before they placed real ones on the planes.

My local news also said that UPS facilities in New York and New Jersey were shut down for suspicious packages.

Edited by twong

Sounds like a number of alerts here in the U.S. involving UPS cargo planes.

News reports all aircraft are now on the ground and one in Newark, NJ has been

cleared. Something about a rash of suspicious packages that originated in

Yemen. Federal and local agents are on the case.

Edited by Kalashnikov-47
Hi Holmes,

I just heard on the news that the one in the UK was not a bomb but was made to look like a bomb. I suppose they were testing out our security measures before they placed real ones on the planes.

My local news also said that UPS facilities in New York and New Jersey were shut down for suspicious packages.

I never got the final answer to that one ..MY colleague was flying out to CALGARY on 9/17 and he and his wife and sons family

were evacuated from the terminal as were all the other terminals at Manchester International Airport...

"

Their flight to CANADA was delayed by 2 hours and the passengers were told "that a suspicious baggage was found and all had to be evacuated"

Well I hope the security is tightened .......and they fail to penetrate the security!

I've been watching this with interest. Was watching SKY news live and the commentator was going on about two things---

1_ 'The package was found on the UPS cargo jet and it was diverted to Brtish airport----

At the same time---the scrolling 'ticker tape' at the bottom of the screen was saying that the package had been found at the UPS distribution depot!!!!?????

2_ The package apparently contained a laser printer toner cartridge like this one---moving his hand to show the cartridge on his desk---and reports state it had wires and powder coming from it----anybody handled a laser toner cartridge?

You know, the kind with the odd wire and powder all over it?

WOT!!!!!!

There could be some poor bloke in Yemen right now trying to find out where his cartridge is that he sent for repair.

The point I'm making lads is that ---A. The media haven't a bloody clue what they're talking about about and ---B. The massive over-reaction with 'suspicious' packages suddenly being found everywhere is somewhat OTT.---C. At the time of writing this, not ONE was been proved to be anything dangerous. Now it's ----' they were a trial run' WOT!! Why have a trial run which lets everyone know what to look for? Just send the real thing, at least one will get through and cause a lot more problems.

I don't know about you lot but here in Edinburgh, I pass 'packages' every day simply because some untidy and thoughtless sod couldn't be bothered to find a trash bin!

Rather saddened rant over :whistle:

I looked at the picture provided by the establishment media. It looks like a pcb board from a cell phone and a smashed up toner cartridge...

That's what it looks like to me as well. To be honest, it looks like a pretty poor attempt at making something look like a bomb - the sort of thing a university film student would make as a prop. Might well be AQ (after all, the threat/fear of terrorism is just as effective as actually performing terrorism), or it might well be 'wannabes'. If I were the cynical sort, I'd be thinking 'Hmmm, US mid-terms coming up, who is going to get the biggest political boost by either proving terror plots are being stopped/proving that terrorists haven't gone away'.

Thank goodness I'm not the cynical sort, though.

Vince