Airbrush Cleaning

Hey there guys, quick question I need some advice on. I use to use enamel paints and had a jar of lacquer thinner for cleaning my airbrush and paint cups with. But I find I use more and more acrylic paint now and I find it is harder to clean out the airbrush and cups with my jar of lacquer thinner after using Tamiya paints.

Is there a better cleaning solution for cleaning out my airbrush and cups after painting with acrylics?

Windex, or any other ammoniac based window cleaner should do the trick. Its also good for thinning the paint with that, I don't recommend thinning tamiya acrylics with lacquer.

The use of ammonia based cleaner on airbrush is controversial. Yes, it cleans effectively. But ammonia is known to attack brass and chrome plating. It was reported that ammonia based cleaner dis-color plated brass airbrush over time.

I do not have first hand experience with ammonia based cleaner to report. I just avoid ammonia based cleaners which MAY cause problem.

I second RichardL that "Isopropyl alcohol also makes a great cleaner for acrylics".

Meths / Methylated spirits / denatured alcohol is also pretty good for cleaning when using acrylics. I use it as it is easier to find than isopropyl & usually much cheaper - but as with all these things, if you are running it through your airbrush, adequate ventilation is required.

I use Vallejo Acrylics for painting(Air and model range), and their airbrush cleaner for cleaning and thinning. I use water for the initial cleaning, and the AB cleaner to remove the last bits(I also believe it serves as a protective/lubricating agent)

The use of ammonia based cleaner on airbrush is controversial. Yes, it cleans effectively. But ammonia is known to attack brass and chrome plating. It was reported that ammonia based cleaner dis-color plated brass airbrush over time.

I do not have first hand experience with ammonia based cleaner to report. I just avoid ammonia based cleaners which MAY cause problem.

Thanks for the warning. I use an ammonia based cleaner, and have yet to spot a problem, such as discolouration or reduced performance. However my airbrush use is so infrequent, that I probably would not notice problems even if I used battery acid to clean it :whistle:

I will keep this info in mind.

I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner off ebay some time ago and every couple of models I put the entire airbrush in and give it a good clean with just a little bit of dishwasher detergent in the water. It's amazing how much dried paint comes out of the brush into the water even though I clean the airbrush thoroughly between each colour when i'm using it.