Tamiya Spitfire Mk1

I just opened this kit and I am getting ready to start it. I recall sometime ago I read somewhere that there were a couple of modifications that were required as Tamiya used proto drawings when moulding this kit. I think there was mention of something on the wing surface that was molded for only gear up and needs to be corrected and something else about the gun vents or something like that. I know I am not providing the best hints but does anyone know what I am referencing and where I can find detailed information on how to make the nessesary changes to build a true Mk1?

there really isnt any difference between gear up or gear down on the upper surface..the onr thing that will change is if the flaps are down. there is a small door near the trailing edge that opens to all room for the flap mechanism.

others can tell you anything else that needs to be fixed.

Sean

From the start of WWII, the gun muzzles did not protrude from the wing l/e; until May, 1940, all seats were metal, so green or black; before May, 1940, there was no armour behind the seat; rudder pedals, until September 1940, had only a single crossbar; there was no explosive charge fitted to the IFF, until very late 1940, so no detonator buttons on the starboard wall; there was no "black box" down by the pilot's left calf - Tamiya measured up a Mk.I, which had a multi-channel radio fitted, instead of the mapcase, we believe; the upper wing surface comment is probably due to some confusion - early Marks (up to the Vb) had a small bulge over the wheel well, then there was none, then post-war a much bigger one was introduced; if the radio controller on the port wall is a circular box, you need an aerial from mast to rudder, but, if it's an oblong box, you can leave it off. That's all that I can think of, at the moment.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

You don't specify the scale, and I'm not sure that the kits have the same flaws. My information applies to the 1/72. The Tamiya kit has too fat a fuselage where the wing meets, but I see nothing that can be done about it. The wing has an incorrect planform: the ellipse has been assumed to start where the trailing edge meets the fairing to the fuselage, whereas it should start near the centreline of the aircraft. At the fairing, the trailing edge should already have a slight curve rather than going straight out. This is very small at this point, but affects the shape of the curve to the tip. As a result there is too much chord, reaching a maximum where flap meets span. You can try filing/sanding the trailing edge to improve this but beware of over-shortening the flap chord.

I recall disliking the propellor and the exhausts, but don't recall just why.

There has been comment about the length of the rear fuselage and the position of the cockpit, but I think these are confusing the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits: the Tamiya is fine on these points.

As with all shape/accuracy matters, look at the model with the comments in mind and if it still looks ok to you, fine.

You don't specify the scale, and I'm not sure that the kits have the same flaws. My information applies to the 1/72. The Tamiya kit has too fat a fuselage where the wing meets, but I see nothing that can be done about it. The wing has an incorrect planform: the ellipse has been assumed to start where the trailing edge meets the fairing to the fuselage, whereas it should start near the centreline of the aircraft. At the fairing, the trailing edge should already have a slight curve rather than going straight out. This is very small at this point, but affects the shape of the curve to the tip. As a result there is too much chord, reaching a maximum where flap meets span. You can try filing/sanding the trailing edge to improve this but beware of over-shortening the flap chord.

I went ahead and built one anyway (got it cheap) and sitting next to my other Spits, that wing just looks *off*. Fortunately the way I display them all in the cabinet, you can't see it from an angle where it matters. On the other hand, that aside, it was one of the nicest kits to build that I've run into. The engineering and the fit were top-notch.