Tamiya WWII Aircraft

That would be great..I'd love it if Tamiya would scale down their Betty and Irving, and it would be cool if they's do a 1/72 P-51B/C as well.

I have been waiting for years for Tamiya to scale down their Swordfish to 1/72.

It looks like I will have to build the Airfix or Matchbox kit to make that finally happen. :)

I love reading these types of threads, getting an insight into certain things. As a few have stated, and Jennings likely the best... Tamiya keeps it quiet until it's out, and they make what they want. Very nice indeed.

Then... there's reality... another popular aircraft with many already made versions finds it's way to the LHS shelves (some great, some horrid, and most in between). Quite a few people were rolling their eyes over another Spit. Granted, it's an amazing kit on it's own, but I'm all in with what fishwelding is saying. Something unique, but good quality is a welcome surprise from them.

So, yes, Jennings or anyone else... get on the phone, contact those execs, make like friends, and convince them they like a certain type of aircraft. We'll all get together for a vote, and cross our fingers.

in the mean time, I'm going back to the work bench and pout over the copious amount of work left on what should have been quick and simple builds...

They'd really rock our socks if they suddenly produced (gasp!) an airliner. Something classy-historical, too, like a 1/72nd scale Constellation, or a Vickers Viscount.

I have been waiting for years for Tamiya to scale down their Swordfish to 1/72.

It looks like I will have to build the Airfix or Matchbox kit to make that finally happen. :)

Are there substantial shape problems with the Matchbox kit? I built it under the RoG guise, and although it was simplified, I thought it went together well. I remember thinking that provided what was included was reasonably accurate (I had no idea), it would make a good, cheap starter-piece for someone unafraid of scratchbuilding detail, or serve as the basis for a popular aftermarket set. After all, the Swordfish does have its colorful history and dedicated fans.

Or a Fisher XP-75!

Or mayhaps a B-18 Bolo. Imagine that; a Wagnerian-opera-of-a-kit including an airplane that practically builds itself, a set of late-1930s aircrew all suited up, and perhaps a 1936 panel-van in Air Corps markings, all for the price of two years' tuition, books, living expenses and beer money at an elite, private New England college. That would be a level of business madness you could not help but admire.

Edited by Fishwelding
But what about their 1/48 Spitifre Vb? It has a "b" in it. And maybe one day they will finally do two seater F-16"B" models. :)

That's a 'b' not a "B". And they will have a hard time doing a two-seat F-16 that isn't a D, since the kit is a C.

Nyah! :coolio:

Edited by Jennings
Or mayhaps a B-18 Bolo. Imagine that; a Wagnerian-opera-of-a-kit including an airplane that practically builds itself, a set of late-1930s aircrew all suited up, and perhaps a 1936 panel-van in Air Corps markings, all for the price of two years' tuition, books, living expenses and beer money at an elite, private New England college. That would be a level of business madness you could not help but admire.

Touche!

Hey, what am I worried about, they made my favorite and I've got 3 of them on the workbench right now! Gotta love the P-47. I think I'm going to spend tonight priming. Between the Jugs, the two Mustangs (F-6B and F-6D) and the two Spitfires (Mk VIII and IX), not to mention the L-4, I'm gonna be busy for months!

Jon

They did do a P-51B....

I'm just sayin....

Maybe a B-32 also..... (speaking of which, someone DOES need to a 48th scale B-32!)

Heck, somebody needs to do an injection tool B-32 in ANY scale. I've got the Aviation Usk B-32 vac kit in 1/72 and it is nice, but injection styrene would be even cooler. I recall somebody scratchbuilt one in 1/48 for an IPMS Nationals a few years ago, but I guess the modeling gods were not appeased enough to render one to the rest of us mere mortals.

And yes, I forgot all about the P-51"B". So, Tamiya HAS done something with a "B" in it (not a lower case "b") afterall!!! :wacko:

I never said "hasn't", I said "isn't" - as in future tense :wacko:

Don't forget about the Anigrand B-32. Apparently it's one of his less sucky kits.

J

Now if we could just get some magic growing potion, we'd be all set! I would love to see a large scale Dominator.....

Now if airplanes are referred to as "she", wouldn't the B-32 be the "Dominatrix"?

I'm just sayin....

Now if we could just get some magic growing potion, we'd be all set! I would love to see a large scale Dominator.....

Now if airplanes are referred to as "she", wouldn't the B-32 be the "Dominatrix"?

I'm just sayin....

Got any plans for nose art? <_<

In the case of Tamiya - it's what the head honchos like. Period. The plastic kit side of Tamiya is the playground for the company execs. The huge majority of their money is made on RC products, much of which you don't see outside of Japan. Plastic kits are an afterthought. The reason they did a 1/48 Dewoitine 520 is because one of the head guys liked it. There's no other reason for them to have done it.

J

Well if there is one person who would know the answer, it's you. By the way, many thanks for your input on the ESCI article I wrote over on Swanny's. ;)

As for Tamiya's decisions being no more than the whim of it's executives - I find that fascinating. No economic run quantities, martet analysis or customer surveys needed... just churn out what you like and take it as it comes.

Sounds very un-businesslike.

It's a helluva luxury to be able to "toy" around with a product side-line to suit your own tastes. I wonder if I can convince them to "like" the P-80....

Edited by dahut
I heard they were releasing a 1/48 B-17, so the rumor you heard can't be true! :monkeydance:

:coolio:

A Tamiya 1/48 17??!!!! Awesome!! That's what us model geeks have been praying for! Oh man I can hardly wait...! I first heard about this new B17 about 15 years ago, then about once or twice a year, every year since then. I'm so glad it's finally coming, thank you Lord. Please put me down for 3 of them please.

Larry

..firmly planted in cheek. :yahoo:

Interesting

This is from TamiyaBlog.com

RC MODELS

* 1/10 R/C STADIUM BLITZER (2010)

* 1/10 R/C TOYOTA ALTEZZA RACING VERSION (TT-01D TYPE-E CHASSIS) DRIFT SPEC

* 1/10 R/C NISSAN 370Z (TT-01 TYPE-E CHASSIS)

* 1/10 R/C FORD SVT F-150 LIGHTNING (TT-01 TYPE-E CHASSIS)

* 1/10 R/C MINI COOPER ’94 MONTE CARLO (M-05 CHASSIS)

* 1/10 R/C RAYBRIG HSV-010 (TT-01 TYPE-E CHASSIS)

* 1/10 R/C HONDA CIVIC TYPE-R R3 J.A.S. MOTORSPORT (TT-01 TYPE-E CHASSIS)

* 1/10 R/C WEIDER HSV-010 (TA05 ver.II CHASSIS)

* 1/10 R/C AVANTE (2011)

Tentative price including tax 52800 yen. The main chassis is equipped with a CPR unit was assumed. Mechanical response to the current FRP double deck, not made. Changes, including increased strength carbon material. Riyadanpasute carbon material can be. Same package size and design models to reprint the original box. Parts will be reproduced in blister. Tamiya original decals with changes in detail. The front knuckle machined aluminum parts and change the intensity increased while pursuing the same shape. Specifications can change the oil o-ring to be a lower cap ring that can be easily replaced. For unspecified motor is still attached. Be able to reproduce the image of the original gold color. Number of turns, motor can, end bell, colored stickers are to be considered.

* XB NISSAN 370Z (TT-01 TYPE-E CHASSIS)

* XB TOYOTA ALTEZZA RACING VERSION (TT-01D TYPE-E CHASSIS) DRIFT SPEC

* [TRF] HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTOR TRANSPEED BRUSHLESS OCTA-WIND 4.5T

* [TRF] HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTOR TRANSPEED BRUSHLESS OCTA-WIND 5.0T

* [TRF] HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTOR TRANSPEED BRUSHLESS OCTA-WIND 7.5T

* [TRF] HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTOR TRANSPEED BRUSHLESS OCTA-WIND 8.5T

* [TRF] HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTOR TRANSPEED BRUSHLESS OCTA-WIND 9.5T

* XB BUGGY CHAMP (2009) (WITHOUT R/C SYSTEM)

* 1/10 R/C BMW M3 GT2 2009 LIGHTWEIGHT BODY PARTS SET

* 1/10 R/C LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO LP560-4 SUPER TROFEO LIGHTWEIGHT BODY PARTS SET

* TRF417 CENTER ONE-WAY SET

* TRF417 FRONT ONE-WAY SET

* 1/10 R/C HONDA NSX 2005 GT LIGHTWEIGHT BODY PARTS SET

* 1/10 R/C EUNOS ROADSTER BODY PARTS SET

* 1/10 R/C VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE BODY PARTS SET

* M-05 BLACK PLATED FRAME SET

* M-05 RED PLATED FRAME SET

* 1/10 R/C MINI COOPER RACING (M-05 CHASSIS) (w/FINISHED BODY)

* EXPEC GT-II 2.4G RADIO CONTROL SYSTEM

* [OP] M-06 ALUMINUM SERVO MOUNT

* [OP] M-CHASSIS REINFORCED GEAR SET

* [OP] DN-01 FRONT DISH WHEELS (PINK)

* [OP] DN-01 REAR DISH WHEELS (PINK)

* [OP] F104 SEPARATED UPPER DECK SET (Tentative)

* [OP] F104 HEAVY PIVOT POST (Tentative)

* [sP] 1/10 R/C ENDLESS 370Z BODY PARTS SET

* [sP] 1/10 R/C VODAFONE MCLAREN MERCEDES MP4-24 BODY PARTS SET

* [sP] M-06 A PARTS (CHASSIS)

* [sP] M-06 B PARTS (BATTERY HOLDER)

* [sP] M-06 D PARTS (GEARBOX)

* [sP] M-06 E PARTS (DAMPER STAY)

* [sP] M-06 PRO 3x34mm BALL-HEAD SUSPENSION SHAFT

* [sP] M-06 URETHANE BUMPER

* [sP] TRF417 LOW FRICTION FRONT DRIVE BELT

* [sP] TRF417 SPUR GEAR (111T)

* [sP] TRF417 SPUR GEAR (113T)

* [sP] TRF417 BALL DIFF PLATE (2PCS.)

* [sP] TRF417 FRONT DIRECT CUP (2PCS.)

* [sP] TRF417 CROSS JOINT SET

* [sP] 1/10 R/C RAYBRIG HSV-010 BODY PARTS SET

* [sP] 1/10 R/C HONDA CIVIC TYPE-R R3 J.A.S. MOTORSPORT BODY PARTS SET

* [sP] TRF417 WHEEL AXLE (2PCS.)

* [sP] TRF417 ALUMINUM DIFF JOINT SET

SCALE MODELS

* 1/35 U.S. HOWITZER MOTOR CARRIAGE M8 “AWAITING ORDERS†SET (w/3 FIGURES)

* 1/35 U.S. LIGHT TANK M5A1 “PURSUIT OPERATION†SET (w/4 FIGURES)

* 1/12 YAMAHA YZR-M1 ’09 FIAT YAMAHA TEAM (ESTORIL EDITION)

* 1/20 TEAM LOTUS TYPE 78 1977 (w/PHOTO-ETCHED PARTS)

* 1/24 LEXUS LFA

* 1/32 SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE Mk.XVIe (Tentative)

* 1/48 JAPANESE NAVY KOMATSU G40 BULLDOZER (FINISHED MODEL)

* 1/48 KETTENKRAFTRAD w/INFANTRY CART (FINISHED MODEL)

* 1/20 Tyrrell P34 1977 MONACO GP, No.3 (FINISHED MODEL)

* 1/12 DATSUN 240ZG (Tentative)

* 1/24 VW GOLF RACING Group 2

* 1/24 RENAULT 5 TURBO RALLY

* 1/35 U.S. M60A3 105mm GUN TANK

* 1/100 BOEING B-52D STRATOFORTRESS

* 1/24 VW KARMANN-GHIA COUPE 1966 MODEL

* 1/24 CITROEN 2CV

* 1/24 FIAT 500F

* 1/24 FIAT ABARTH 695SS

* 1/24 ALPINE A110 1600SC

* 1/24 ALFA ROMEO GIULIA SPRINT GTA

FOR KIDS

* MINI 4WD STARTER SET w/AVANTE CLEAR SPECIAL (2 TYPES)

* 1/32 FULLY COWLED MINI 4WD SONIC SABER PREMIUM (SUPER-II CHASSIS)

* MINI 4WD ALUMINUM HEX MOUNT SET (RED 10mm,15mm)

* MINI 4WD ALUMINUM HEX MOUNT SET (BLUE 10mm,15mm)

* 1/32 FULLY COWLED MINI 4WD TRIDAGGER X PREMIUM (SUPER-II CHASSIS)

* MINI 4WD PINION PULLER (BLUE)

* 1/32 SUPER MINI 4WD LIBERTY EMPEROR

* 1/32 SUPER MINI 4WD TOM GHODY SPECIAL

* 1/32 SUPER MINI 4WD “SHAO BAI RONâ€

* 1/32 SUPER MINI 4WD BIG BANG GHOST

* 1/32 SUPER MINI 4WD LIBERTY EMPEROR BLACK SPECIAL

TOOLS & PAINTS

* MODELER’S SIDE CUTTER α (GRAY)

* HG REVERSE ACTION ANGLED TWEEZERS

* HG REVERSE ACTION STRAIGHT TWEEZERS

* TAMIYA WEATHERING MASTER G SET (FOR FIGURES I)

* TAMIYA WEATHERING MASTER H SET (FOR FIGURES II)