Fokker EIII - Scratch - 1:72

Hi guys,

This is my first topic in the Classic Aviation Forum

I'm working in this project for a while trying to build a plastic model from parts designed for paper models.

I downloaded a free paper model version of the EIII from the link bellow and scaled it to 1:72 inside a CAD program.

The goal is to print the parts and tack glue to a styrene sheet.

EIII_02.jpg

http://www.modele-kartonowe.com/

This is the instruction sheet from the paper model:

EIII_06.jpg

Here the drawings are being vectorized in the CAD program:

EIII_03.jpg

Here the first parts were cut from the styrene sheet:

EIII_09.jpg

EIII_10.jpg

EIII_11.jpg

EIII_12.jpg

Cheers,

Marcos.

Interesting Idea and good progress in building! But... How do you create the wings? By cutting and then scribing-sanding or there was another method? And how about the symmetry of their profliles?

Propeller looks like main I made for Academy's Sopwith Camel many years ago ;) Fine! May be the tips of it is a bit thick...

Interesting Idea and good progress in building! But... How do you create the wings? By cutting and then scribing-sanding or there was another method? And how about the symmetry of their profliles?

Propeller looks like main I made for Academy's Sopwith Camel many years ago :banana: Fine! May be the tips of it is a bit thick...

Thank you Snorry.

The wings are being built yet, but I usually cut it from thick styrene sheet and try to approach the cross section geometry by sanding with a sanding block. Then I go to the scribing process. I will work a little in the tips of the propeller before go to painting. Thanks for the tip :rofl:

Cheers,

Marcos.

Have you made engine yourself?

I did the engine block from styrene disks cut with a tool in the first picture bellow. The cylinders came from a plastic rod threaded with the tool in the second picture (I don't know how to say in English). Here are the pictures:

EIII_38.jpg

EIII_33.jpg

EIII_39.jpg

Cheers,

Marcos.

neca12, HOLMES, Neil and BOC262,

Many thanks.

neca12, I think that it will be a hard job to do ribs in this scale ;)

Cheers,

Marcos.

Have you considered skinning the aerofoil with 5 thou plasticard, with the ribs scribed from the back?

Neil

Edited by tnuag
I think that it will be a hard job to do ribs in this scale

No, Its not a hard job, it just time consuming :) This work goes in two stages - firstly you had to draw the rib lines on the wing, secondary - you take scalpel with five or so new surgical blades (classic style, I cant remember the exact blade number) and carefully scribe space between ribs with blade perpendicular to surface. Blade had to move from centre to the edges. It takes hours of scribing, but result would be nearly perfect. I have tested this method on small surfaces, when I made from scrath new elevators for 1/72 A5M, and it should work on the wings too.

But may be there is an easy way I dont know...

I think that it will be a hard job to do ribs in this scale

No, Its not a hard job, it just time consuming :) This work goes in two stages - firstly you had to draw the rib lines on the wing, secondary - you take scalpel with five or so new surgical blades (classic style, I cant remember the exact blade number) and carefully scribe space between ribs with blade perpendicular to surface. Blade had to move from centre to the edges. It takes hours of scribing, but result would be nearly perfect. I have tested this method on small surfaces, when I made from scrath new elevators for 1/72 A5M, and it should work on the wings too.

But may be there is an easy (and quick) wayto make ribs I dont know...

I just thought of maybe using dremel, and just a little by little sanding it very carefully. I don't really know possibilities of Dremels, this is just an idea :)

btw, this is my favourite type of project(I haven't done any, but I hope I'll do some one day), scratchbuilding WWI plane :explode:

Edited by neca12
I just thought of maybe using dremel, and just a little by little sanding it very carefully.

Key word - "very carefully". Very-very, on very high rpm, but there still will be a good chance to ruin all the work by one innacurate motion. Or you should do sanding with so great care it takes very same amount of time if there was a hand work with scalpel.

But there are another techniques of ribbing: scribing lines and then gluing into this lines strtched sprue. Then adding some putty around this and sanding with paper. I have try this once, but without success: the stretched sprues dont glued firmly on all their lenght, and when I start sanding, they start partially detach off the surface :) May be I do something wrong - I dont know. And, overall, you easilly can flood surface of wings with excess glue...

But here:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_25628.html

shown, how to make scratch-build wings in 1/72 from paper! This guy use fishing line for ribs, and acrylic putty for wood. And the result:

od4Hi-8032f7.jpg

looks not bad. And all building process had take just one month...

PS. The airplane in that thread is 1911 Hakkel V - first russian amphibious seaplane.

Edited by Snorry

neca12 and Snorry,

Many thanks for the information and tips.

I´m working in the basic shape of the wing now and figuring out how to represent the ribs.

Maybe with scribing lines for this model, but the work with nylon wires would be interesting. I will do some tests and post the results here later.

Cheers,

Marcos.