1/48 F-105D "Memphis Belle II"

This is the venerable Monogram F-105D kit. I rescribed it and gave it a loadout of 3,000 lb. M-118 bombs. The bombs and center-line tank are from the Cobra Company "Rolling Thunder" resin set, and they are superb. I also added a Legend ejection seat and Eduard photo-etched details. Decals are by AeroMaster, and the SEA camo colors are Testor's Model Master. Exhaust and speed brake petals were painted with Alclad II and Testor's metalizers.

This kit took over a year to build, and during this time I read "When Thunder Rolled" by Ed Rasimus and "Thud Ridge" by Jack Broughton. I highly recommend these books to anyone building a Thud model because they provide so much context and history for the Thud and the men who flew it.

f-105_1.jpg

f-105_2.jpg

f-105_3.jpg

f-105_4.jpg

f-105_5.jpg

f-105_6.jpg

f-105_7.jpg

f-105_10.jpg

f-105_11.jpg

f-105_12.jpg

Edited by CrowTRobot
yeah, a very good solid work, very accurate! Oh, could you tell us the secret making such exact yellow stripes on the bombs? Maybe..decals?? no...or?

Thank you! The yellow stripes are painted. I painted them first, then I masked with very thin strips of Tamiya tape that I cut with a scalpel and a steel ruler. I followed this with a coat of olive drab. I used Tamiya tape on the canopy and windscreen too. It is fantastic stuff for fine masking.

:lol: OH I give up!!!....the builds I'm seeing within the last few days seem to be the work of modeling gods, add those to what's been done previously and there's a simple phrase to describe it..and that is BLOWN AWAY!!!!. That "Thud" is ready to go downtown , where all the lights are bright, until it puts them out.

'Nuff said,

Super job on the F-105

Thank you!

I think that's the 105 that's in the AF Museum too. I have those decals for my 32nd Thunderchief.

Yes it is, and there are lots of good reference photos for it out there on the Internet. Oddly enough, I have 3 different books on the F-105, but there are no pictures of this plane in any of them.

Excellent work. It is always a nice surprise to see what some time and skill can do with an older kit, and turn out such great results. I like the small touches you've added (the canopy latches).

Well done!

Jeff

• 1 year later...