Monogram 1/48 F-15A Eagle

Hi there, y'all :explode:

Inspired by FEDE guy's oustandin' build of this same kit, I went all the way down in my stash last weekend in order to retrieve it. It's been a while since I put an F-15 kit together, 'n' the Monogram kit seems to be such a decent one to start with; I've got the Hasegawa F-15C kit in the same scale too, but somehow I fancy buildin' an early Eagle. Unfortunately, all my reference is lying under a thousand boxes from my recent movin,' so, 'til I sort out the room required for it, I won't be countin' with any of it.

Hence, due to space limitations, I'm gonna go easy on this build; will see whether I can eventually fish out some resin seat for this build. I've got plenty of Plastruct styrene profiles, rod, strip 'n' tube to play with, as well as the needed hardware for the task. I neither have the paint nor the decals for this build, so I ain't decided which camo or outfit this bird is gonna be yet. Guess there's a lot of time for that.

Watchin' at the lower fuselage half, me's peeped a couple bulges that I can't quite remember whut they were or if they needed to be opened or not; here:

Monogram1-48F-152.jpg

See the triangular shape with a squared-off face aft the air scoop? Whut's with these? Need to be opened or sumthin'? Likewise, there are a couple of bulges right behind those triangular shapes which look like ventilations I don't know whether they need to be opened as well; here:

Monogram1-48F-15.jpg

Sorta hard to actually have the reference material to check 'n' yet not be able to access it, huh? This is whut I hate the most 'bout movin' out; not to mention the limited size of the space my new bedroom is! Have got to remember openin' both the window AND the door every mornin' before stretchin' in bed, y'know. :)

Many thanks, blokes! Cheers,

Unc²

Both of those are air intake scoops.

Awlright, Jay-Jay! How're ya doin,' bud? Really appreciate it, my mate.

The first large scoop is the primary heat exchanger aux inlet. The second is the exhaust for the heat exchanger.

Nooooice...!!! Thank ye, Stevie. :worship: Have ya got any pictures of either of 'em, mate?

How's the family doin,' chap?

Badda bing, badda boom. There ya go.

:blink: Oh...??? Me's afraid I'm more like "Durr, durr, durty, durty, doo..." especially when it's past 02:30 in the mornin' 'n' the neighbour downstairs is makin' all sorts of suggestive noises; to put it mildly. :explode: Incidentally; it's a she-neighbour, y'know.

Since it's a "A" model, here's a couple suggestions for markings:

scan0007-6.jpg

:woot.gif:Yeh...!!! 318th FIS is definitely one of my picks! No doubts 'bout it, ikar, mate. :thumbsup:

Thank ye for the suggestion, bloke!

Cheers, every one, 'n' be bad, ya hear?

Unc²

The ARC Walkaround section is your friend. Click me.

Hi there, HuMungous, mate! :coolio:

Thanks a million for the heads-up; in all honesty, me's already checked those awesome shots by Mr Middleton. In fact, Kenny has aided my mate Fefo with his Monogram F-15 build. Howeva, in spite of Kenny's great shots, the one picture showin' these details neither shows the primary heat exchanger inlet nor the engine coolin' air inlet viewed from the front 'n' behind, respectively. Ya see?

01.jpg

Have just posted Kenny's shot on that section I'm referrin' to just to explain myself - please, let me know if doin' this is wrong so I delete it right away, aye?

Besides, the RBF tags are protectin' the openings on Kenny's shot, which is why I'm still askin' for pics of those inlets 'n' exhausts openings.

Yes they are the Primary Heat Exchanger inlet and exhaust but the triangular opening in fronjt of them is the engine cooling air inlet and it is an open area that you can see the engine through it. My 2 cents.

Cheers

Thanks a lot, Ol' Crew Dog, bru! :) Say, is the engine coolin' air inlet fixed or does it opens 'n' shuts up in flight?

Me's back into the sin bin 'til tomorrow, mates... (aw, yeh... me's comin,' me's comin'...!!!) :pray: Half life...

Cheers,

Unc²

Juat an open hole, in fact looking into it you can see the engine. The heat exchanger inlet has a pillow cover installed with a remove before flight flag hanging off it. The exhaust has plate to which we would pressure fit in the exhaust ..

Hi there, HuMungous, mate! :wave:

Thanks a million for the heads-up; in all honesty, me's already checked those awesome shots by Mr Middleton. In fact, Kenny has aided my mate Fefo with his Monogram F-15 build. Howeva, in spite of Kenny's great shots, the one picture showin' these details neither shows the primary heat exchanger inlet nor the engine coolin' air inlet viewed from the front 'n' behind, respectively. Ya see?

01.jpg

Have just posted Kenny's shot on that section I'm referrin' to just to explain myself - please, let me know if doin' this is wrong so I delete it right away, aye?

Besides, the RBF tags are protectin' the openings on Kenny's shot, which is why I'm still askin' for pics of those inlets 'n' exhausts openings.

Thanks a lot, Ol' Crew Dog, bru! :thumbsup: Say, is the engine coolin' air inlet fixed or does it opens 'n' shuts up in flight?

Me's back into the sin bin 'til tomorrow, mates... (aw, yeh... me's comin,' me's comin'...!!!) :lol: Half life...

Cheers,

Unc²

The 318th is a good looking ship but I'm partial to the 5th myself. It's personal, partly because I spent two years with them and partly because I was invloved in designing the new markings for the F-15 when we transitioned from the F-106.

Hey ikar. Do you remember f15 tail number 760057, was the first pig I was Assigned at langle, she went to the 318 and then the 5th the last I heard.6057 is now in the boneyard. 20 years on 15 I sure miss her. Otee name='ikar' date='Nov 5 2010, 02:34 AM' post='2086671']

The 318th is a good looking ship but I'm partial to the 5th myself. It's personal, partly because I spent two years with them and partly because I was invloved in designing the new markings for the F-15 when we transitioned from the F-106.

Looking at what I have, this is the best I can come up with right now, it is a D but pretty much the same idea.

G3.jpg

G5.jpg

On this picture one thing I cannot remember off the top of my head is, if there is a vane/divider inside the opening, I want to say there is and it is cut on an angle.

G7.jpg

Or, you could do like these 57th FIS guys did:

1515.jpg

If you want to "plug" the exhaust, you could probbly put a spread a little bit of white glue, paint it red and then add a RBF flag to it and call it a day. Marginally easier than drilling it out.

More pics of a F-15D if you're interested:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/DDo.../F-15C%20Eagle/

Juat an open hole, in fact looking into it you can see the engine. The heat exchanger inlet has a pillow cover installed with a remove before flight flag hanging off it.

Hey, ya Ol' Crew Hound!

Uh-huh, so it looks like, bloke, but if ya check on Wayne's pics, the heat exchanger inlet looks like a swivellin' thing. Ever recall havin' seen the heat exchanger inlet shut - or retracted inside the fuselage, mate? Sorta envy ya 'n' the ikar chap havin' worked near those beautiful birds, y'know.

:lol: Whoa! The F-106 is another piece of hardware! I bet ya blokes in the 5th didn't want to let her go back then, right? I saw pictures of the Delta Darts wearin' the 318th Sqn. badge as well, 'n' lemme tell ya it was a tad hard for me to give up those markings in favour of the B-1B Chase Program on my F-106 build.

20 years on 15 I sure miss her.

:blink: 20 years! Me wonders whut the bloody hell are ya havin' a picture of a Fulcrum for avatar for. Kinda heresy to me, y'know... Me's tellin' yer Gunny, ya'll see! :lol:

Looking at what I have, this is the best I can come up with right now, it is a D but pretty much the same idea.

Noooooice, Wayne, my mate! :worship:

Those are awesome shots, bloke; more than enuf. They pretty much show whut I needed to confirm. Thanks a billion, chap! Where'd ya take 'em, bud? It looks as though the sun was pretty strong that day, huh?

On this picture one thing I cannot remember off the top of my head is, if there is a vane/divider inside the opening, I want to say there is and it is cut on an angle.

Yeh, there appears to be sorta a divide inside the exhaust openin,' aye? It's quite visible on at least two different pictures. Very noooice shots, fella; I real appreciate 'em.

Or, you could do like these 57th FIS guys did:

If you want to "plug" the exhaust, you could probbly put a spread a little bit of white glue, paint it red and then add a RBF flag to it and call it a day. Marginally easier than drilling it out.

Nay pluggin' either the inlet or the exhaust, Don; but thanks for the advice anyways. Ya see, I resent not bein' able to see through an openin' on a jet or prop kit, y'know. There's hardly ever been a build o' mine when I had decided to replicate any covers. Come to think of it, there's been none at all.

More pics of a F-15D if you're interested:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/DDo.../F-15C%20Eagle/

Awlright, Donnie...!!! :cheers:

Thanks a lot for yer help as well, mate. Appreciate it. There's enuf material to keep me busy through the weekend. Gonna start workin' on those items.

Danke schön to every one who's posted "them" help to me on this thread; sincerely. Hope to be able to give it back to ya some day.

Have a kick arse weekend, blokes!

Cheers,

Unc²

The Primary Heat Exchanger intake did move, infact it shut above a certain speed in the air and sometimes depending on the mood your jet was in (some were haunted and did as they please or just plain ol moody) on the ground during launch checks. We always were taught if it is suckin its blowin, too many a Crew Chief would hang their fingers inside the intake and have it cycle, 1800psi on the pneumatic actuator does not take kindly to having fingers in its way. The cover on the rear had a rubber insert that you hammer with your hand into the exhaust.

When I was in Transit Alert/ Crash Recovery at Lakenheath I recovered and worked on the Fulcrums for a month while they visited, thus the picture. I also worked on Flankers, Mirages, Tornado's etc.... you get the picture, any NATO aircraft that came in to Shop at the BX. I actually played Crew Dog on the F-15A,B,C,D,E,I,J and S models, J model on exchange when I was stationed in Okinawa, so you see the F-15 was apart of my life 10- 12 hours a day, 5-7 days a week for 20 some odd years. I had a better relationship with my Jet then my ex........

Next your going to ask why am I in Canada, well I met this wonderful woman when I retired and ..............

Cheers

Dave (Ol Crew Dawg)

Hey, ya Ol' Crew Hound!

Uh-huh, so it looks like, bloke, but if ya check on Wayne's pics, the heat exchanger inlet looks like a swivellin' thing. Ever recall havin' seen the heat exchanger inlet shut - or retracted inside the fuselage, mate? Sorta envy ya 'n' the ikar chap havin' worked near those beautiful birds, y'know.

:D Whoa! The F-106 is another piece of hardware! I bet ya blokes in the 5th didn't want to let her go back then, right? I saw pictures of the Delta Darts wearin' the 318th Sqn. badge as well, 'n' lemme tell ya it was a tad hard for me to give up those markings in favour of the B-1B Chase Program on my F-106 build.

:blink: 20 years! Me wonders whut the bloody hell are ya havin' a picture of a Fulcrum for avatar for. Kinda heresy to me, y'know... Me's tellin' yer Gunny, ya'll see! :lol:

Noooooice, Wayne, my mate! :worship:

Those are awesome shots, bloke; more than enuf. They pretty much show whut I needed to confirm. Thanks a billion, chap! Where'd ya take 'em, bud? It looks as though the sun was pretty strong that day, huh?

Yeh, there appears to be sorta a divide inside the exhaust openin,' aye? It's quite visible on at least two different pictures. Very noooice shots, fella; I real appreciate 'em.

Nay pluggin' either the inlet or the exhaust, Don; but thanks for the advice anyways. Ya see, I resent not bein' able to see through an openin' on a jet or prop kit, y'know. There's hardly ever been a build o' mine when I had decided to replicate any covers. Come to think of it, there's been none at all.

Awlright, Donnie...!!! :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot for yer help as well, mate. Appreciate it. There's enuf material to keep me busy through the weekend. Gonna start workin' on those items.

Danke schön to every one who's posted "them" help to me on this thread; sincerely. Hope to be able to give it back to ya some day.

Have a kick arse weekend, blokes!

Cheers,

Unc²

When I left the 5th they were still getting a few ships in. By that time they had managed to do a couple hard manuvers. One resulted in a couple panels getting torn off and they overstressed a second one and were planning to have it completely checked over and maybe sent back to the factory to be safe.

Some of the guys I talked to were happy to pick up the F-15 if for no other reason they didn't have to carry a genie.

Some of our guys ended up transferring to other types of aircraft.

• 2 months later...

Uncle Uncool Ohh God, I was losing it!!

Very good to start with that eagle, I'm almost finished with mine.

Hey if you need help just ask, you know, just shoot an e-mail ....

A big hug friend.

Greetings

FEDE