Upgraded - the Revell Venator

Republic or Emperial  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which in your opinion is the better scheme?

• Republician Red Stripe
    • Emperial Grey

A bit belated, but welcome aboard!

The work you've done here is superb. I have the same kit so I'll be watching this thread intently for ideas for my build. I only hope I can do it justice after seeing this. :thumbsup:

A bit belated, but welcome aboard!

The work you've done here is superb. I have the same kit so I'll be watching this thread intently for ideas for my build. I only hope I can do it justice after seeing this. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jason! If you want to see more photos, I have some more on photobucket - just search for Revell Venator and you'll find 3 pages so far. My photography skills aren't the best in the shack, so don't go expecting world class photographs if you decide to take a look :rolleyes:

I'm absolutely positive you'll do a brilliant job on your kit!!

the hardest thing about doing it this way is that you need to devote a huge amount of time and patience for cutting the tiniest slivers of plastic and making sure you have a good magnifying glass :blink:

still, it will be worth it in the long run :pray:

Edited by The Madhatter
  • 2 weeks later...
Very nice work!! I know how to recycle my spare box now :thumbsup:

thanks man....my spares box isn't really equipped for sci-fi so am a little short of decent looking parts that are relatively in-scale.

Am struggling to find cool looking odd bobs things to add to it to give it more texture

• 3 weeks later...

hi again everyone

well, the bottom section of the hull is pretty much done, just have to finish off the hangar and add a few bits and bobs here and there

next, it's onto the side walls and then finally the main super structure.

IMG_7651.jpg

IMG_7595.jpg

IMG_7600.jpg

IMG_7665.jpg

IMG_7669.jpg

IMG_7677.jpg

IMG_7687.jpg

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

IMG_7697.jpg

I'm still struggling to decide on which scheme I like and have even entertained the thought of painting it in some kind of splinter camo but done in different shades of gray.

I mean, this kit is so far from being movie-accurate already do you reckon it would make too much difference at this point? I don't know - I'm in two minds about it - so the question is -

Should I risk it and go for a bit of a radical scheme or should I stay conservative/safe and go with a regular scheme?

Edited by The Madhatter
I'm still struggling to decide on which scheme I like and have even entertained the thought of painting it in some kind of splinter camo but done in different shades of gray.

I mean, this kit is so far from being movie-accurate already do you reckon it would make too much difference at this point? I don't know - I'm in two minds about it - so the question is -

Should I risk it and go for a bit of a radical scheme or should I stay conservative/safe and go with a regular scheme?

My thoughts are to make it whatever you want. It is sci-fi so by it's very nature is open to whatever you wish it to be. I think you live a little and paint it whatever you think looks good. In the past I've used sci-fi stuff as an outlet to maybe do something unusual that you wouldn't normally do when building your average run-of-the-mill aircraft. It is a good opportunity to let loose and have fun.

whatever you do, I'm sure it will look outstanding.

My thoughts are to make it whatever you want. It is sci-fi so by it's very nature is open to whatever you wish it to be. I think you live a little and paint it whatever you think looks good. In the past I've used sci-fi stuff as an outlet to maybe do something unusual that you wouldn't normally do when building your average run-of-the-mill aircraft. It is a good opportunity to let loose and have fun.

whatever you do, I'm sure it will look outstanding.

Hey Jason

Thankyou for your kind words on this and your previous post - I don't think I'll be hearing from George just yet :cheers:

especially when I am yet to paint it and that's where I'll either end up with a showcase or a suitcase

I just love all the extra work you're doing on this! And it's all so well done too ... the piping looks perfect, the cuts of the million little pieces of styrene look perpendicular. It's just too bad most viewers will just look at it and not even realize, or appreciate, all the extra detailing you've done to it.

But we do! Thanx for posting, and don't feel like you have limit your posts to just once a month ... post often!

Nice job!

Pete

Great work so far!

I have a question about optic fibres. How do you install them? do you leave longer parts out and cut them after all the painting is done? Seems to me like that on one of the pics but would just like to be sure?

Hi Sebastijan

This is my first attempt at modeling with F.O's so for me its just a case of have a go and then pray for good results. I have done a lot of research and read and re-read articles on installing them and each article pretty much tells you the same method

You're right about leaving a bit of the fibers sticking out from the edge - I'll trim the protruding ends off flush with the surface after I've sprayed on the last coat of matte.

To anchor the fibers in place, I've just used plain modeling glue.

I've been using a Dremel Stylus to drill out the holes for better accuracy and speed of drilling - plus you don't break so many bits using it. To make the 1/36 Collette bite and hold the bit, I wrap the non sharp end of the bit in masking tape

have a look at this link for more info - its where I got a lot of my info from: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=82731&sid=5f7e97821e9d5d06f4df2be695f5e38e

Thankyou for looking and enjoy the rest of your weekend! :thumbsup:

I just love all the extra work you're doing on this! And it's all so well done too ... the piping looks perfect, the cuts of the million little pieces of styrene look perpendicular. It's just too bad most viewers will just look at it and not even realize, or appreciate, all the extra detailing you've done to it.

But we do! Thanx for posting, and don't feel like you have limit your posts to just once a month ... post often!

Nice job!

Pete

wow - thanks Pete. I've seen the work that you've done on your cut-away shuttle, so your comments are a great compliment

Unfortunately, I can really only post about once a month because that's how long it takes me to get anything done on it! :D

:pray: I'm hoping to have this finished for the Melbourne Model Exhibition in June but it's not looking to promising. However, I have the house for 2 weeks to myself, so I intend on pushing forward with this build a bit more and not have any distractions aside from work so fingers crossed, I'll get more done and post more pics

Thanks again for looking and posting Pete! :)

ok - seeing as you asked so nicely..... :whistle:

a couple more pics:

IMG_6879.jpg

IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6871.jpg

IMG_6873.jpg

still needs tidying up and some minor filling here and there but its coming along nicely.

I've started back on the smaller engines again in an attempt to get that part finished

see you again soon and once again - thanks for looking :wave: