Upgraded - the Revell Venator

Republic or Emperial  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which in your opinion is the better scheme?

• Republician Red Stripe
    • Emperial Grey

Hi again everyone

Just a quick update for you. I have finished detailing the superstructure and it finally has a primer coat on it. Overall, I'm really happy with it, but a part of me thinks I may have over done the detailing which I think can be evident in the closer pictures. Close up it looks cluttered but from the proper viewing distance it looks really good - well at least I think so. I leave it to you to judge for yourselves...

There is some filling to be done here and there and also need to finish constructing the all important light boxes. I have already made one box and cut the blue plastic window inserts out, so at least its only one more to do and they don't take to long to make.

IMG_6984.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

IMG_6999.jpg

IMG_7011.jpg

IMG_7010.jpg

IMG_7016.jpg

IMG_7021.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_7019.jpg

As always, thank you for stopping in! :cheers:

Si

Hi Madhatter,

Great job you done, you have use all place possible. I've the model, when I compare your work with mine in progress (in fact, in box waiting to be continued), it's impressive. :thumbsup:

Hi everyone

Sorry to post again so soon, but I was really unhappy with the pics I posted. Now that the missus is back from her trip, I finally get to use the SLR and can now post a few pics that I feel do the superstructure more justice (well, I think so)

Thanks for looking! :wave:

IMG_9945.jpg

IMG_9922.jpg

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9939.jpg

IMG_9934.jpg

Thanks for your post BTW Tanis - I think I'm using too much space sometimes :woot.gif:

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone

Just a quick update. I've started on the two bridge's now and hope to have them finished and primed by next weekend.

IMG_9949.jpg

IMG_9951.jpg

You can just see the dark blue inserts made from a clear blur plastic document folder behind the window frames - I've test lit this and although there are a lot of light leaks to fix, it does look really effective.

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9923.jpg

IMG_9930.jpg

IMG_9934.jpg

IMG_9935.jpg

Thanks again for stopping by! See you next time :wave:

Industrial Light & Magic. They're the company (owned by Lucasfilm LTD) who did the special effects/computer animation work for the Star Wars movies (and many other movies). The Venator class ship is one of their creations.

Cheers,

Alby

thanks Alby - I should've guessed. It's a great compliment though - thankyou! Do you know if ILM did an actual model of the Venator or was it all just CGI modelling?

MH-

I assume it was a CGI model, like most of the ships in the prequel trilogy. That's what cool about seeing your build (as well a few of the others I've seen posted elsewhere), it gives a us chance to see what she'd look like in three dimensional form.

Cheers,

Alby

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Well, time for an update. The conning towers are pretty much finished - still a few light leaks to plug but that will happen nearer to final painting as I'll seal up the leaks with putty and then paint (hope that works :pray: )

Other than that, I'm really happy with how its shaping up!! I think final assembly will prove to be a real challenge but it's completely do-able

The lighting in these photos isn't the greatest as it's way to wet here to photo graph outside, but you get the idea ;)

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Next up are the side walls and then the final wiring up and then the home stretch....it'll be on to painting :woot.gif:

Thanks for stopping by :wave:

Edited by The Madhatter

Hello there MH

I am a long time watcher & visitor of ARC and also of your build. I finally have gotten off my aging behind and signed up mostly so that I can add a comment on your amazing Venator thread.

I have been watching your progress on both this website and on your photobucket account since you first posted your work. I am a HUGE fan of Star Wars and your work is truly inspiring. I actually want to restart modelling because of your Venator - I haven't made a thing for about 15 years!

The level of dedication to the detail you have put in is something to be in awe of. I thank you so very much for sharing your work with us all.

I look forward with baited breath for your next installment

Thomas

Hi Thomas

Wow - I'm a little lost for words - I don't think I remember being the source of someone's inspiration so I am unsure of what to say other than thankyou for not just your kind words but also for making the effort to join so you can post.

I do hope you get back into modelling, it is a great way to pass the spare time!

I was beginning to think that my Venator was only interesting enough for a few people to comment on, so you have renewed my enthusiasm for continuing to do this WIP thread.

Thanks again Thomas and I hope to see your work on ARC someday - oh, and by the way - welcome to ARC!

Si

Edited by The Madhatter
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just a quick update. Spent the weekend building the turbo lasers which was challenging due to the smallness of the brass rods and my large hands

The side walls have been started but I am finding out as I go that it'll take a long time to do :blink:

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

Thanks for looking in. Please feel free to comment or critique

MH, I haven't visited your thread in a while. Amazing progress. Simply amazing work! I really like what you did with the turbo lasers, great idea. I don't know if I'll have the skill to pull that off on my Venator, but it does make those turrets look SO much better. What size brass rod did you use for those turrets?

I'm going to have to break out the magnifying headset to attempt something like that, the old Mk. 1 eyeballs aren't quite what they used to be.

Hey guys

Thanks for stopping by again Jason and Alby! Its always nice to see you make the effort to comment :woot.gif:

The cannons are just brass rods of 1mm and 1.5mm diameter slipped inside each other. The end pieces are drilled out hex bolts from Wave.

I'm lucky enough not to need magnifying glasses yet although I do possess one - it does come in handy sometimes :)

In all honesty bro, you don't need a large amount of skill to do these - you just need to know how to measure and use a modelling saw. The rest is just patience, time and a few beers to keep it all together! :cheers:

Hey guys

Thanks for stopping by again Jason and Alby! Its always nice to see you make the effort to comment :woot.gif:

The cannons are just brass rods of 1mm and 1.5mm diameter slipped inside each other. The end pieces are drilled out hex bolts from Wave.

I'm lucky enough not to need magnifying glasses yet although I do possess one - it does come in handy sometimes :)

In all honesty bro, you don't need a large amount of skill to do these - you just need to know how to measure and use a modelling saw. The rest is just patience, time and a few beers to keep it all together! :cheers:

Uh, a few beers?! Something tells me my model would not look so good after a few beers......

Your few and my few may be a ways apart. I'm thinking like 7-8 constitutes a few. :D

Mmmmmm, beer.......

Nicely done! How many cannon sets are there? I know of the two main banks along the bridge sides, are there others?

Hey Mark

There are 8 in total - 4 along each bank.

That makes 32 small cuts of brass rod: 16 @ 1.5mm and 16 @ 3mm

Thats plenty enough for me!! :D

Hey-

Looking awesome!

Please keep this WIP going! I am really enjoying watching your work, though I don't post as often as I should. Still eyeing the one on my shelf!

Regards,

Phil

I have been following your thread with great interest and should have posted something earlier. The work you have done on this kit is incredible.

Els