Upgraded - the Revell Venator

Republic or Emperial  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which in your opinion is the better scheme?

• Republician Red Stripe
    • Emperial Grey

hi again

I just finished putting on the turbo lasers and finishing the super structure and took some pics, so I thought I would quickly share these with you

This is the finished superstructure - I've wired it so I can just plug it in so at final installation, it's easier to deal with.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

And here is the main battery:

IMG_0548-1.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

I think the next update, I should either be finished or damn close to it

Thanks for stopping in again!

MH

hmmm, it does seem that I may have overlooked the brightness factor when I was planning the build, so unfortunately, there is no dimmer.

Well, not much I can do about it now, but fortunately, it's a smallish mistake that I'll have to live with. It's also not going to help shooting in such a dark setting either as the camera seems to intensify the lights. I'm playing around with the new flash to try and get better, more even shots

I will definitely have to look into that more closely on my next build, so thank you for pointing out that aspect. :thumbsup:

MH,

Glad to see you made it home in one piece. Hope you got me email re the engines.

For the overly bright blue lights on the sides of the superstructure, are you able to pull out the LEDs and then hit them with about 800 grit wet paper ? This will diffuse the light and make them more in line with the conning tower window lighting.

Speaking of the conning towers, did you put a blue LED in each one ? That is what I am thinking of doing.

Haven't done much on ny build for a few weeks due to numerous visitors. But I shall try and get the engines done in the next couple of weeks then move onto the top plate and the superstructure.

Your work is most awesome mate. I think I might take mine to the Melbourne Expo next year (2013) so I won't have to compete against you.....

Looking forward to seeing your finished build. Keep up the excellent work mate.

Cheers,

Dave.

thanks Dave - sorry for the delayed reply - I haven't been in front of the computer much over the past few days - been to busy building for once!! It was too late for me to change some of the LED's, but I did replace the uber bright one with a frosted LED, so that should hopefully tone it down.

Well, I've almost finished it now; I just have to finish off the display and add one last clear coat after some minor paint touching up and I will call it finished - finally!!

I've weathered it with blast burns etc, so that should distract the viewer from the "interesting" paint work.

All the lights work and look good - although there are obvious flaws which you will see soon enough.

I managed to get the 2 halves of the hull to mate nicely, so that's all sealed up and with no light leaks that I can see.

So, my next post should be my last in terms of building this project. With that, I just want to quickly say thank you to all of you who have viewed and followed my thread and especially to those who have taken the time to comment on my work. I also certainly wasn't expecting a view count of over 19,000 when I first started it! :wacko:

I'm also really sorry I'm such a slow builder :rolleyes: My next one will be quicker (I hope) but I'm not to sure if I'll do a WIP thread again - probably just a display case entry.

See you all again in a few days time :cheers:

MH

OK everyone, that moment I never thought would get here has arrived - I have actually finished this project! (well,..almost - still have to black out a few fibers here and there but overall, it's done)

I'm going to get the missus to take some better shots and from there, I'll do up a picture/scene in Photoshop (when I learn how to use it properly), but these pics give you the idea.

Part 1

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

part 2 coming up...

Edited by The Madhatter

When you first started this project, it inspired me to start a Sci-Fi kit of my own. I haven't gotten one on the bench yet (too many irons in the fire already), but I still want to do a few. I really looked forward to your updates, because every time I looked at your progress, it got my creative juices flowing to work on my own stuff. So much has already been said about how good this is, and I don't really know what more can be said about it. It is simply magnificent. I know you've said before that there are things you aren't happy with, but from my screen, I can't find them. I just hope I can my stuff to look half as good as this. Truly, truly spectacular, I'm just sad its over.

So now the question is, what next?

-Dave

thanks very much Dave - I feel kind of sad to. I've worked long hours on this and it feels weird to be finished (almost).

As for what's next - I'm not sure yet. First thing is to move into my new house and set myself up in there. After that, I'll take a short break to spend more time with the missus and the boy and then maybe I'll build a 1/32 SU27. I don't know if I'll go to this much trouble again anytime soon (lighting etc) but I do have the Cordoba in mind for a super detailing project. The lessons I've learned from this build will be taken over to the next build and so I hope it will be better quality.

Saying that, I am really happy with how this ones come out though.

Thanks again Dave

Wow Simon, she turned out absolutely incredible! These are the photos I have been waiting to see since the very first post in this thread. Like Dave, I was inspired to build something Star Wars related from following your build here (hence the AT-RT I built). Thanks for sharing your work with us here, it has been a blast to follow along! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Cheers,

Alby

Thank you very much Tanis, Ken, Alby and Phil for your kind words - It's been a pleasure to share it with you all. It's also very humbling to be the source of someone else's inspiration. LOL - normally I'm the one being inspired!

See you all around the boards :woot.gif:

Si,

As I said on another forum, this rocks !!!

Will you be taking it to the modelling expo this year ?

Let me know when you start your next build. I will be very interested in following it.

Peace bro,

Dave.

:worship: That's all I have to say...

Seriously, awesome job. You have created a little masterpiece.

I'm looking forward to seeing some finished, Photoshopped pics of this baby in a nice star-field!

Like this but with better pictures (more depth of field):

Venator_1.jpg

:cheers:

Edit: Once you do get some good, final pics you really should share this build in the "Display Case" for those builders who don't visit the Sci-Fi forum.

Edited by Zactoman

Chris - that's awesome (the pic you've done). I am intending on doing something like that, but maybe have it in the middle of a battle scene - like at the opening scene of ROTS.

Not completely sure what I'm going to do yet but when it comes to Photoshop: I'm going to get the missus to do it for me as she was a pro photographer (although her subjects were typically human)

I'm just trying not to over do it on the whole posting pics thing. I think people have already had enough of looking at it and I don't know how many more angles I can cover :rolleyes: Don't want to over saturate it!

Wizard - sorry for the delayed reply - I missed your question. I'm in Australia, so unless your over here, chances are, it'll just be on the net where you can look at it unfortunately. It will be at the Melbourne Expo at Queens Birthday this year, so for those of you here in Oz, if your interested, that's where it will be, and at the Inter-club meeting at WSMC later on.

• 3 weeks later...

I must congratulate you on the completion of this phenomenal project, Sir! Actually more of a career...? I sort of intended the BOTY title for 2011, when this all began, but I doubt we'll see anything so amazing in this twelve-month as well. What's up next? Gonna be a tough one to follow! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Such kind words coming from you, Diego, is very humbling (IMO - you are one of the most talented builders out there) so a huge thankyou!

Chippy - thanks to you as well mate! I never tire of reading your posts :) As for what's next, I am thinking of doing a scratch build/ kit bash of my own design (or a borrowed one - although unlikely. I can't seem to translate my design from my head to paper)

I'll begin work on it at some point this year. I really need some help from someone who's done a lot of scratch building to help me with the basic framework design.

Thanks again guys

MH

(edit: can't spell to save myself)

Edited by The Madhatter