Upgraded - the Revell Venator

Republic or Emperial  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which in your opinion is the better scheme?

• Republician Red Stripe
    • Emperial Grey

Chris - that's awesome (the pic you've done). I am intending on doing something like that, but maybe have it in the middle of a battle scene - like at the opening scene of ROTS.

Not completely sure what I'm going to do yet but when it comes to Photoshop: I'm going to get the missus to do it for me as she was a pro photographer (although her subjects were typically human)

I'm just trying not to over do it on the whole posting pics thing. I think people have already had enough of looking at it and I don't know how many more angles I can cover :rolleyes: Don't want to over saturate it!

Looking forward to seeing the Photoshopped pics when they are done!

For me personally, you can't post too many pictures of a nice model like this and if by chance you do, I'll get my fill then move on.

Of all the pics you did post, you didn't post any over-all shots of the completed model. I'd still love to see a few over-alls from different angles.

And once you do get the final Photo-shopped pics done, I'd again encourage you to post them (and some of the others) in the Display Case or Critique Corner so those modelers who don't venture into the Sci-Fi forum don't miss out.

:cheers:

Hey thanks Chris

I didn't notice I hadn't taken that many overall shots - good point. I'm still trying to work out how to use Photoshop Elements. The wife doesn't know much about it either as she is used to working with the older versions. Personally, I didn't think that there would be to many differences in them, but apparently there is - aside from being way more advanced in overall functionality. Just quietly, I think that she's just forgotten :woot.gif: To be fair though, not only has she not been in the industry now for 8 years but she hasn't had the use for it either.

I had a look at a tutorial that was posted on another thread, but it states: "Working with Photoshop 7 and only Photoshop 7". Once I read that, I pretty much stopped reading as it seemed to be not applicable. However, I still might take the time to read it later as I think the principles should still be the same for both programs (but please feel free to correct me)

I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials out there to help me with this sort of thing, so I'll just have to spend some time looking for what I need - which at the moment is pretty minimal.

However, once I've done it, I will post some pics in the "Display Case" forums

Cheers mate! :cheers:

MH

It’s been a while since I used Elements so I’m not sure what the differences may be. I do recall it lacked some of the features of PS, hopefully not the one’s you’d need to make this easy.

I’m a self-taught dabbler but here’s how I do it:

First open the pic. This will be the background layer that I won’t alter in any way.

Next I select the model using the polygon lasso tool.

You can set the feather to 0 pix and just click-click-click all the way around, copy and paste it to a new layer. Create a new layer behind this and drop in a star field and you’re done.

Flatten the layers and save it under a new name.

Or...

I like to use a slightly blurred edge, a little in the front and more along the back edges. This helps create a little depth and makes it look less pasted.

There are a few ways to go about this.

You can select the ship with 0 feather as above and use the blur tool along the edges, or...

Set the feather and select different sections of the ship.

I might set the feather to 2 pix and select the front edge and part of the middle, reset the feather to 4 or 5 and Hold the + key and select the rear edges, 3 or 4 and select the sides, etc. Then copy paste it to a new layer. Play around and vary the feather to your liking.

Hope that helps getting the PS juices flowing.

If you want to do a full battle scene like you mentioned, you’re on your own!

Have fun with it!

:cheers:

• 2 months later...

your being too kind but thank you none the less :cheers:

I did briefly think about selling it a few months ago when I was moving, but I'm not sure who would actually buy it considering it's many flaws :rolleyes:

Besides, I personally feel its not good enough to sell (by which I mean it was my first ever crack at detailing something therefore, not really in a sell-able condition). Especially at a high enough price to recover the cost in parts or labor.

And the fact I quite like it comes into the equation :woot.gif:

• 2 weeks later...

well - I'm pretty darn stoked as a friend of mine just told me the Venator took out first place in the Senior Sci-Fi Division of Melbourne Expo!

It's the very first time I've entered anything into a competition, so a great result if I do say so myself :woot.gif:

well - I'm pretty darn stoked as a friend of mine just told me the Venator took out first place in the Senior Sci-Fi Division of Melbourne Expo!

It's the very first time I've entered anything into a competition, so a great result if I do say so myself :woot.gif:

Hey Madhatter, it was due for this one! :thumbsup:

Saw your fantastic build with my own mk1's at expo and took a load of pics. Superb!!

• 2 weeks later...

:blush: that's very nice of you to say so - thank you! And welcome aboard the ARC wagon!

Hope to see some of your work here soon :thumbsup:

And thanks to you as well Mike - sorry for the delay - I haven't checked the actual boards much lately and didn't see you had replied. I hope you got to see it before the battery died.....for the second time. I knew I should have plugged it into the mains :doh:

See you all again soon

MH

Edited by The Madhatter