Upgraded - the Revell Venator

Republic or Emperial  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which in your opinion is the better scheme?

• Republician Red Stripe
    • Emperial Grey

thankyou Phil, Els and Kuman (and everyone else) for taking the time to post - I really do appreciate it. Please don't think I'm craving attention, but its nice to know that the time it takes to get everything uploaded and posted etc is worth it when people comment.

I do intend to keep doing this WIP and I will update it again soon once I have the first of the sidewalls done.

Thanks for stopping by ! :cheers:

:lol: thanks guys - I'm glad you like it. I hope to have the first 2 front side walls finished by the end of the weekend.

It's the Melbourne Model exhibition tomorrow :woo: I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the awesome talent that's out there again this year!!

Unfortunately, my Venator won't be there until next year, so I am sorry to the Aussie's here who wanted to see it. I must have been pipe dreaming when I said I should have it done by now. :unsure:

Thanks again for your interest everyone

Si :cheers:

hi guys

quick update before I head to the Model Expo. First set of side wals are done and I know I have heaps more to do but I thought you might like to see where I'm headed with the rest of them

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

I'll post more once the rest of them are finished

See you again soon

Si

wow! This kit is becoming more and more amazing with each update. This is simply outstanding. I used to think that the OOB Venator had really good detailing for an injection kit but I was so wrong. What you've done makes it so much more real.

Keep up the amazing work MH

Thankyou again for sharing!

Thomas

Thanks Thomas - glad you like it :coolio:

Well, a quick update for you. I have completed another section of the walls in record time - 10.5 hours spread out over a week I think I need to slow down :lol:

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

as always, please feel free to critique or comment and thanks again for stopping in

Have a great weekend!

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have a major problem that I am going to put out a call for help with.

I am in urgent need of replacement parts for the Venator - namely the hanger bay doors on the side. Due to a very unfortunate accident last night they were both left completely unusable.

Does anyone have these parts that they can make a good quality cast from?

I'm hoping someone is able to help me out with this dilemma as I don't want to have to buy a whole kit just for 2 parts.

If you can, PM me and we can talk business

Thanks everyone

Si

EDIT: well, I sourced some replacement parts today so my crisis has now been averted. Thanks for watching and I'll post some more pics soon

Si

Edited by The Madhatter
  • 4 weeks later...

Gidday Blake - first and foremost - welcome to ARC!!

Thankyou for taking the time to register and post your comments too - I feel quite humbled

I am sorry for not posting any updates in a while. I'm on a bit of a break from it - after 10, almost 11 months, straight working on it, I am slightly over it. I will finish it - I just need to feel more love for it than I currently have now.

Once my parts come back from the caster on the second week of August I will pick up where I left off. I have almost finished the last of the small side walls - just a few more ledges and surface detail to add and then that is done and dusted. I have the 4 larger walls left to do after that and then the final wiring and fiber optic installation.

To everyone else who has been following my build - I thank you for your patience as well. I know that most of you will know exactly how it feels at some point to be tired of a single long term project and feeling like your not making any real progress :rolleyes: It'll pass......

See you all again soon with an update :)

Si

Hi MH

I was wondering what happened. I can understand what it feels like to loose interest in a project - I'm a builder by trade and know just how hard it can be to keep the love going!

I'll be looking forward to your next installment

Thanks again

Thomas

Thankyou Thomas :)

OK, a very small update for you all now - I have finished (well almost - still need to drill out the FO holes) the smaller set of sidewalls and have begun work on the Lower hull plate's upper ledge surface

I will be starting the larger sets of sidewalls tomorrow and will post some pics once they're done, so I promise that the next update will be much bigger and better

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

Thanks again everyone for stopping by

See you again soon

Si :wave:

Well, the fun begins: there are 118 fibers (give or take a few) in this small section alone and I have gone through 10 drill bits just to get to this stage - and I still have the other 3 to go

This has taken the better part of 3 nights to do - mostly because I had to walk away from it every so often to give the ol' patience a break

Fiddly things...

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

I'll post again once the other ones are finished and test lighting begins, but I thought you may like to see where I'm up to - which isn't as far along as I would like to be

thanks for tuning in

MH

As i can see u already use fiber optics ,so i dont think you will need anything from me.Btw the amount ans quality of scratch building - detailing is spectacular!!! :wub: :deadhorse1::woot.gif: :woot.gif:

Thanks Amen!

It's my first ever crack at using FO's, so we'll just have to wait and see if it all works out alright but so far so good ;)

My circuitry work is a bit crude and probably no where near as tidy as it ought to be but it seems to function ok and I haven't melted the plastic as yet :woot.gif:

Alby and Jason, as always, thanks for your continued interest!!! I reckon I should be ready for test lighting the whole front section in the next couple of weeks (I'm waiting on more drill bits to arrive so I can finish drilling out the holes on the remaining 2 sidewalls) Naturally, once that's done and the Fibers are all threaded and the LED's all wired up, I'll post some pics

thanks again guys!

Are you finding any issues with bend radius with the FO? And have you found the lighting to be relatively even? What ultimately will be your light source?

Keep up the great work!

gidday Mark

I haven't installed the sidewalls to the bottom part of the hull yet, but a test flex of the fibers showed I shouldn't have to much of a problem getting them in

As for the ultimate light source: good 'ol LED's, all with their own resistor soldered on and each one will be wired to it's own set of Pins on the circuit board. By soldering a resistor to each one, I should eliminate the need for a complex circuit board and as I won't be wiring this up to flash or fade it makes it even easier to deal with.

I bought the Madman Lighting kit for it at the very beginning and the circuit board in that: A) wasn't big enough for what I had in mind and B) didn't work anyway - which was a bit disappointing as I had thought about using the flasher function to light up the Turbo Lasers with.

When you ask about even lighting do you mean the spacing of the holes or does each LED produce the same amount of light? If it's the latter, I made sure I bought all the same kind's of LED's and resistors to avoid uneven light.

Sounds like as good plan. The lighting eveness was more a reference to the intensity of the light at the "windows". As an example,sometimes "more" bent FO won't be as bright as less bent. And to add extra frustration, sometimes two pieces that look like they are pointed the same at the same bulb will still be different intensity at the "window" end. Since LEDs have limited field of view, do you have a feel for hbow many FO strands you can use with a single LED? I'm assuming these are 4-5mm class LEDS.

Having done a FO model once (and gone through many drill bits and much fiber...), I'm really leaning towards a bravo alpha fluorescent tube for this kit.

I'm planning on using about 4-6 LED's for every the front sidewalls - 2 white and maybe 4 or 5 blues - depending on space. I'm going to try stuffing as many fibers into a short piece 5mm section of tube as I can and then have the LED slipped into the other end and heat shrink tubing both ends to stop light bleeding.

Either that or I'm going to construct a small box like structure to house the fibers and LED's.

I believe that the angle in which you cut the ends of the fibers will have a big effect on the intensity of the light, so end fiber will have to be cut as square as possible - which won't be easy for the side walls given the extra detail I have there

Hi everyone

Time for a quick build update.

I've finished detailing the lower ledge of the bottom hull plate and I just have to cut away at the side wall supports to allow the FO's to flow out un-interrupted, which I'll do tonight.

You can't really see a lot of the detail as it's all white, but once it's painted and washed, the detail will stick out more. I'm debating whether or not to detail the upper plates ledge as you won't really see it (unless you invert it but honestly, how often will that happen once it's finished?)

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

I'll post some more pics once I have finished the sidewalls and they're all threaded :)

thanks for tuning in!

MH