Mystery Launch off California

Just saw this on the BBC

Mystery missile launch reported off California coast The vapour trail was seen not far off the coast of Los Angeles Pentagon officials say they cannot explain reports of a missile launch off the coast of California on Monday.

A CBS News helicopter captured what looked like the vapour trail of a missile rising from the water about 35 miles (56 km) offshore.

"Right now all indications are that it was not [defence department] involvement in this launch" Pentagon spokesman Col David Lapan said.

The Pentagon does not consider the missile a threat.

"So far we've come up empty with any explanation," Col Lapan said. "We're doing everything we can to try to figure out if anybody has any knowledge of what this event may have been."

Under normal circumstances, the launch of a US missile would require several different authorisations and notifications, but none are evident.

It is unclear if the suspected missile was launched from land or sea.

If they dont know what it is, or where it came from how can they say its not a threat? big toy rocket if it went 35 miles up!

Julien

With both Vandenberg AFB and San Nicolas Island in the region, I would imagine they are some how connected to it. However it doesn't say much for NORAD if this went undetected. Sounds like they are covering something up :lol:

Oh my... looks nothing else like an approaching airliner to me, trailing a large contrail, which is getting displaced by different high altitude winds at the more distant parts. If this was anything going up, the trail would not have the same red sunset glow color from "bottom to the top".

It looked weird whatever it was. I don't necessarily think it was a missile since it was so far off the coast and heading north. If it was a missile test, it would have ended up in BC or Alaska. Vandenberg shots tend to head due south to enter polar orbit.

Are there any gunnery ranges north of Catalina island? Maybe something like a ship launched SAM or an AAM got punched off by mistake and the lighting was such to make it look like more then it was.

Oh my... looks nothing else like an approaching airliner to me, trailing a large contrail, which is getting displaced by different high altitude winds at the more distant parts. If this was anything going up, the trail would not have the same red sunset glow color from "bottom to the top".

I concur, it's not moving that fast in the closeup footage...maybe, maybe not, but airliner seems a probable explanation. Of course, nobody will believe the Pentagon if that's what they say....

Alvis 3.1

Okay, I'll let you in on the truth. It's us (Canadians). We're beginning our attack on the US. We plan to ocupy California. It will become the 11th Canadian Province - known as Nosnowland. We'll go there on our holidays!!

So if all you Californian's would be so kind as to quietly head over to Nevada and Arizona. But don't get comfy there - we'll be taking those places next.

Edited by Tilt

Yup....looks like a N-Korean missle launched from a sub. The red contrail proves it's a communist missile....the Red Communists do that on purpose.....best to Nuke N-Korea before they do it again........can never be too safe. :D

Okay, I'll let you in on the truth. It's us (Canadians). We're beginning our attack on the US. We plan to ocupy California. It will become the 11th Canadian Province - known as Nosnowland. We'll go there on our holidays!!

So if all you Californian's would be so kind as to quietly head over to Nevada and Arizona. But don't get comfy there - we'll be taking those places next.

Ya.....as soon as Canadians learn to speak spanish.

Dude, all you have to do is ask, we'll GIVE it to ya'. We'll even throw in Nevada as a bonus. Of course the only condition is you have to take it all lock, stock and barrel, baggage and all. Sorry, it's part of the deal.

Bill

Ya.....as soon as Canadians learn to speak spanish.

Hey, when my daughter was younger...and still watched "Dora the Explorer"...I knew a little Spanish. Does this count?? lol

BTW....what ever happened to the missile? If it didn't go into orbit then it would have to come down somewhere. How deep is the water in the area? Safe to assume......if the US didn't launch it......they will have ROV's deployed looking for it.

Dude, all you have to do is ask, we'll GIVE it to ya'. We'll even throw in Nevada as a bonus. Of course the only condition is you have to take it all lock, stock and barrel, baggage and all. Sorry, it's part of the deal.

Bill

Well, you see Bill. This is a tricky thing. There's a few States that we most certainly do NOT want. And it always seems they're added in as a package deal. It's just not gonna work. I mean come on......we gave you Celine Dion so that we wouldn't have to take possession of "those" States!! :D

Bill

Isn't Nevada where the "Mustang Ranch" is located? :D