Revell 1/144 Shuttle/Stack build/STS-133 - Finished!!!

That is some really tight spraying/detailing on the ET, Mike. I don't know how you avoided over-spray into the grooved areas. Excellent job

Thanks! I just spray in real close and hold the airbrush straight. With the airbrush I can spray very close and control how much air and paint is sprayed. It doesn't give off much over spray at all.

Edited by crowe-t

You know, I have to admit sometimes I've wondered if Mike might end up putting himself in the funny farm for the amount of obsessive work he's put into this model (mainly on the MLP, that is still beyond crazy considering what it started out as). I think part of that is down to the standard K2Pete laid down with his cutaway shuttle. But I have to admit the eye candy has been something worth watching and I'm taking some notes down for my next build as to what to focus on. I'm just sticking with the shuttle though, not the MLP. :coolio:

I kind of feel like Yoda coaching Luke here... "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny" ;)

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the nice comments. :) I have gotten a bit further into the details then I initially planned, especially the details on the MLP. However It's been a lot of fun and I've learned quite a bit on this build.

Manfred, the cover isn't blue. It's painted with Interior black that's lightened slightly with some Radome Tan. Zombie_61 suggested that when lightening black to use an off white color so it won't appear blue-ish. I did just that using the Radome Tan and it worked very well.

If you look at the pictures I posted further up on this page the cover's color looks correct. The blue tint in that picture is a result of the lighting.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Wow, wow, and WOW Mike! Your paintwork is just as impressive as your techniques for adding/correcting detail...not that I expected anything less from you. ;) Photographed under the right conditions (i.e., lighting, background, etc.) I'm sure you could convince people this was the real deal. Stunning work!

Al

Al, Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Today I got some more painting done. I masked and painted 2 areas on the back. They appear to be a slightly darker shade on the actual ET.

IMG_5690_zps423a8b47.jpg

IMG_5696_zpsc12b0e25.jpg

I also started painting the feed lines that run vertical on the ET. I have a bit more control painting them individually although it's taking more time and tape. :(

IMG_5687_zps34775976.jpg

IMG_5704_zpsf0520542.jpg

IMG_5699_zpsa6f8bd82.jpg

IMG_5700_zps42c122aa.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
...I also started painting the feed lines that run vertical on the ET. I have a bit more control painting them individually although it's taking more time and tape. :(

I know exactly what you mean. I don't own an airbrush, so I've had to get pretty creative with masking tape and stencils at times. Time consuming, to be sure, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what needs to be done if you want it done right.

Al

Mike,

It is looking outstanding!!

Troy

Thanks Troy!

I know exactly what you mean. I don't own an airbrush, so I've had to get pretty creative with masking tape and stencils at times. Time consuming, to be sure, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what needs to be done if you want it done right.

Al

Al, I was considering painting them all at once but too much can go wrong that way.

Mike: any reason why you wouldn't paint the fuel lines before gluing them onto the tank?

Those lines are molded onto the tank so unless I removed them completely and made new ones I didn't have much of a choice.

Mike,

I wonder again and again that you can brush so narrow ranges, without overspray on the areas that are not masked. :rolleyes: I suspect you are using for an extra fine airbrush nozzle? How big is the diameter of this nozzle for such narrow areas and which diameter do you use otherwise, and how big/small is the brush distance?

In any case again a great clean work, one is already used by you, very well done, continue to. :worship:

I'm already eagerly waiting for your MLP, am looking forward to the colors. :rolleyes:

:wave:

Manfred, Thanks for the compliments! :)

I just posted the picture showing the areas I masked with the Tamiya tape. Before I sprayed the paint I completely covered the rest of the areas I did not want painted with some paper to avoid any over spray on those areas. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture at that stage.

I'm not really sure of the exact size of the nozzle I used. I used a Paasche VLS airbrush with the Fine Tip needle on these areas. I sprayed with the airbrush nozzle about 5 mm or so away.

The Shuttle, ET and SRB's are almost done. After this I'll finish the MLP. I still have to finish the SSWS piping and glue the TSM's on and then I'll start painting it.

As of now I'm considering using Testors Model Master Acryl Neutral Gray for the MLP's base color. For the SRB Blast Chamber's water barriers I'll most likely use Testors MM Acryl Insignia Red. It's a slightly darker shade then regular red and should blend a bit better for this small scale. I still have to test the color to see if it works. I'm thinking a regular red might be too obvious at this scale.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

I finished painting the feed lines on the front of ET. This evening I brush painted all the frost ramps and straps.

Manfred, I posted the first picture for you. :lol: I wrap paper around the areas I don't want painted right before I start spraying. I actually remembered to take a picture this time. :D

IMG_5714.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2133-1.jpg

IMG_2136-1.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Manfred,

The black and red rings are decals. I used 1/32" wide black decal stripes and 1/64" wide maroon decal stripes from Microscale for those. Microscale only has the maroon color in 1/64" but it doesn't seem much narrower then the 1/32" black stripes. Maybe it's mis-sized so I got lucky. It seemed much easier to use decals then masking and painting them.

I first applied the white putty to get the shape of the insta-foam and masked around the putty and painted them the rust color( a mix of Polly Scale Rust and SP Daylight orange).

I'll most likely just paint the same rust color under the the skirts to represent the insta-foam like you suggested.

I actually used that same picture you posted as reference.

Hi Mike,

have you used softener for the decals of the narrow SRB rings? The rings look beautifully uniform, was that not difficult to do?

Edited by spaceman

Hi Mike,

have you used softener for the decals of the narrow SRB rings? The rings look beautifully uniform, was that not difficult to do?

Hi Manfred,

Those decals are from Microscale. I used Microscale's Micro Set and Micro Sol decal setting solutions to soften the decals so they adhere to the raised rings. It was very time consuming making sure each decal was straight and sitting on top of each ring. I think it took about 20 minutes to apply each ring.

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

have you applied the whole decal ring or divided in several pieces? :rolleyes: I could imagine, that it was certainly a nerve racking operation? :woot.gif: But all rings look so great, outstanding!!! :worship:

• 2 weeks later...

I finally glued the Tail Service Masts in place on the Revell MLP and have been working on the SSWS piping. Due to the SRB blast chambers shorter length I only went with two down pipes per side instead of the three that appear on a real MLP. It was an unavoidable compromise but considering this MLP is far from accurate it's acceptable and at first glance appears to look right. I still have to apply putty to the areas where the larger pipes transition to the smaller ones. There's just a few more small details and it's ready for paint. I'm hoping it'll be in primer early next week.

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

:jaw-dropping: Woooooooooooooooooooooow,

you were very diligent in the meantime, this is a remarkable mile stone. :clap2::clap2: :clap2:

The orbiter looks great on the MLP, and the SSWS has got many new details. :woot.gif:

I must make you a great compliment, excellent work you provide off in this small Revell MLP. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Now I'm looking forward to the color and can no longer expect it. :coolio: