Revell 1/144 Shuttle/Stack build/STS-133 - Finished!!!

Regardless of the "compromises" you've had to make, your modifications have gone a loooooonnnnnngggggg way towards improving the heck out of the supplied MLP! If I have the patience to make half of the modifications you've made when I finally get around to building mine, I'll be happy.

Al

Thanks guys for all the nice comments! :)

I've been doing a bit of work each day and am hoping to get it in primer sometime this week. Once I'm up to that stage I just have to paint/weather the MLP and finish the weathering and final clear coats on the orbiter/ET/SRB's. I'm really looking forward to completing this project.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

I added a few more details to the SSWS. The piping around the TSM's is started. :) It'll be a few more days till I can get some primer on the MLP. These small details are time consuming. :(

Here are some pictures showing the new details added.

IMG_5798.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5795.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5787.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

this all still looks well, what you are building there, as it is used by you. :coolio:

Yes, yes the SSWS pipes are very time consuming, if you want as much detail as you scratch-building. Since I know still expected me what everything. :woot.gif:

Great compliment, you have been studying well all the details on the photos and you are very smart and clever to scratch-build it also. Also the TSM's I like better more and more. :rolleyes:

:wave:

Geez Lew-weez Mike! This is looking GREAT!

I just can't get over the amount of detail you and Manfred are seeing and putting into this tiny MLP model! Just keep doin' what you're doin', this is a real treat to watch!

Tell me, when you make all those bends in the styrene rod, do you use heat, like a flame, or do you just bend 'em, say, using your fingers?

Thanx Mike

Pete

Hi Mike,

this all still looks well, what you are building there, as it is used by you. :coolio:

Yes, yes the SSWS pipes are very time consuming, if you want as much detail as you scratch-building. Since I know still expected me what everything. :woot.gif:

Great compliment, you have been studying well all the details on the photos and you are very smart and clever to scratch-build it also. Also the TSM's I like better more and more. :rolleyes:

Thanks Manfred,

I almost, at times wish I was building a full scale 1/144 MLP, well almost. ;) I can only imagine all the time you are spending looking for and recreating all the fine details on your STS-6 MLP project.

Mike.

Geez Lew-weez Mike! This is looking GREAT!

I just can't get over the amount of detail you and Manfred are seeing and putting into this tiny MLP model! Just keep doin' what you're doin', this is a real treat to watch!

Tell me, when you make all those bends in the styrene rod, do you use heat, like a flame, or do you just bend 'em, say, using your fingers?

Thanx Mike

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I do love the scratch building but I am coming to the end with this one. I did get a bit carried away with this Revell MLP but it's good practice and I'm happy with the results. I'll finish the SSWS pipes around the TSM's and maybe... add some of the tiny cameras around the deck, maybe not. I also won't be adding the connections from the TSM's to the orbiter's umbilical panels. I hadn't planned for that earlier when I started making the TSM's and would rather not cover the umbilical panels. I kind of like how they turned out and this is after all a display base, not a scale MLP.

I used a hair dryer to bend the larger sized styrene rods(i.e. - 3.2 mm, 2 mm, 1.6 mm). The smaller 1.2 mm rods seem to bend just fine with no heat used. I wouldn't use a flame on these, that would melt the plastic too fast.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Bill!

I really wish you would get back to your 1/144 MLP project. I'd love to see that one completed.

Mike.

I would like to get back to that as well. For some reason I just can't get motivated to attack it and I don't want to force myself and not enjoy the build. But seeing yours and Manfred's builds, it does make me think about it more and more. Very inspiring from both of you guys!

Bill

Here's a small update. Today I continued the pipes on the TSM's. Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll have all the TSM pipes complete. Then just a couple small details and it's ready for some primer.

IMG_5802.jpg

IMG_5804.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

The pipes on the TSM's are almost finished. I attached the smaller diameter pipes. I need to finish them off at the tops and the TSM's will be done.

Today I started to make some of the cameras that are located around the pad. I don't have any pictures yet but will post some soon.

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

IMG_5814.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

all is looking great and outstanding! I astonished again and again, you can find always new details. I notice your project is slowly approaching the end, and therefore you give your whole love and special effort with many small details. Your TSM's also become real highlights. :worship:

Edited by spaceman

Hi Mike,

all is looking great and outstanding! I astonished again and again, you can find always new details. I notice your project is slowly approaching the end, and therefore you give your whole love and special effort with many small details. Your TSM's also become real highlights. :worship:

Thanks Manfred!

I'm getting towards the end of this project and will be happy to get it finished. :woot.gif:

Mike.

Y'know Mike, you and Manfred have really set the bar high for the rest of us when it comes to detailing such small-scale kits. I'm constantly amazed by the level of precise detail when I view your threads. Wonderful!

Al

Al,

Thanks for the nice words. :) It's been a lot of fun working on this project but I'll be happy to finish this one.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

I can't wait, finally to see the stack on your MLP. :woot.gif:

And what comes after that? Have you planned new projects, possibly a 1/144 B747 SAC kit with the Discovery? :rolleyes:

Mike, the show must go on, don't let us down ... :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hi Manfred,

I'm switching gears and will be building a Dukes Of Hazzard General Lee using a 1/25 scale Revell '69 Dodge Charger kit. After this shuttle build I'll need to work on a different subject. ;)

However my next real space build will most likely be an Airfix shuttle stack built as STS-135 Atlantis. It will be the first time I build an Airfix shuttle stack kit.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

okay, then put your STS-133 project to a glorious final countdown, I'm looking forward to your MLP painting. :rolleyes: And then treat yourself once a well deserved Real Space Modeling break and gather new strength. :nanner:

Do you plan building the Airfix stack also with a 1:144 MLP, or will you put the stack on the kit stand? :rolleyes:

I continued with the TSM's pipes and added the cameras to the deck. They're basically simple shapes but get the job done nicely. I also started adding the straps that go around the SSWS pipes. I have a few more to go and then I'll finish off the railings and add the ladders to the TSM's.

IMG_5819.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5827.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Manfred,

Thanks for the nice compliments. :) The TSM pipes actually went together quicker then I thought they would and I'm very pleased with the results. I decided to add the cameras to give the deck some more detail. It looked a bit too plain without them.

I've been working on the MLP today and will post some more pictures soon. I was hoping to get some primer and paint on it last week but I'll be up to that part this week instead.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Marco, thanks for saying all that! :)

I've had to make several compromises due to the smaller size and limitations of the Revell MLP in order to make it 'look' correct. There's also a bit of 'eyeball' engineering going on here. It's unavoidable on this MLP.

I do have to draw the line somewhere though. To go any further with the details I would have to build a full size 1/144 MLP. I didn't want to invest the time in a full size MLP right now and I have to admit the smaller size is easier to display. I'll be leaving out the connections to the orbiter's umbilical panels as well as several other details. I just don't feel I should go that crazy on an already undersized MLP.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

I'm inching closer... :woot.gif: I finished adding the straps on the SSWS pipes around the SRB chambers. The rest of the raised details are now added to the center rainbird. After some sanding I'll attach the rainbirds and the railings around the top deck as well as the brass support rods in the center of the SRB openings and it's on to the painting.

IMG_5844.jpg

IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

well done, you have realistically represented all details of the SSWS pipes, so the SSWS looks great. :rolleyes:

Are the straps from rod or are they sanded from stripes? All pipe connections look very clean, :coolio: what kind of adhesive did you use?