Revell 1/144 Shuttle/Stack build/STS-133 - Finished!!!

Thanks Manfred and Ralf! :)

I applied the Polly Scale SP Lettering Gray right out of the bottle with no white added. It's darker now but I'm still not 100% sure I like the color. I'll most likely have to order some more paint to finish it and might order another gray color or 2 to experiment with.

Christmas is coming so I'll take a break for a couple of days and get back to finishing it up.

Merry Christmas! :santa:

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t
  • 2 weeks later...

Y'know Mike, I look at the modifications you've made to your MLP, and all I can think is "Why couldn't Revell have done that?" Now, I've read and re-read your thread a number of times and I know how much work you've put into it, so I know the improvements you've shown in your photos look deceptively easy; believe me, I know better. And I'm sure Revell wanted to keep the costs down, keep the focus on the Shuttle Stack, blah, blah, blah, but I look at what you've done and can't help but wonder about what could have been.

Needless to say (I hope), I'm blown away by the work you've put into this and the results you've achieved. Regardless of the compromises you've made (all of which were well-thought-out and reasonable, I might add), I think all but the most impossible-to-please, inflexible, anal-retentive rivet-counters would look at this and be very impressed, especially if they're familiar with this particular kit. Your work is truly inspiring and, as several have stated above, I'm really looking forward to seeing the completed build!!!

:worship::worship::worship:

Al

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Troy, Manfred & Al for all your compliments and support on this project! :)

Now that the holidays are past I'm concentrating on finishing this one. I painted the gray on the MLP today. As soon as it's done I'll post pictures of the completed build.

Below are some pictures I took of the shuttle and the ET/SRB's before they are glued together. I took a couple of the bottom of the shuttle next to the tile decals showing the difference with the weathering. I also took a few close ups of the ET that show some of the details that, unfortunately, won't be seen much when the shuttle is attached.

Mike.

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

This is beautiful, Mike and your build will surely be the gauge by which all other 1/144 shuttle stack builds are done. I would be disappointed if your shuttle were not included in Finescale or other modeling magazines. You should try and submit it.

Hello Mike,

now the time has come where unfortunately some details are no longer visible from all sides, and I can feel with you how it is. :crying2:

Thank you for the great photos to the comparison. :worship: The painting and the weathering of the whole stack is unique and looks fantastic. :thumbsup:

Please show us now finally the stack on the MLP, I can wait no longer. :wacko:

:wave:

Absolutely stunning work so far - each assembly (ET, SRBs MLP and orbiter) is done as if that was the only model you were building. I've said it before but this is going to be the main reference I will use when I get round to building my stack (and of course actual photos...).

It would be nice if Revell had made a more concerted effort with their MLP, but the cost for the mould would not have justified it. Instead it's up to great modellers like Mike to show us what can be achieved.

Great work and sadly, I am looking forward to seeing it all complete but I'll probably feel like I did after I watched the last ever shuttle launch - a feeling of huge excitement and euphoria tinged with sadness because "that's it, it's all over..."

Jeff

Mike, just catching up on your truly epic build, and congratulations all around.

You have taken this kit to the next level, and it will be THE build to emulate, or at least, inspire. I can attest that it was your build that gave me the courage to attempt this very complex project for myself, and I hope it does so for others as well.

Please post some pictures of the whole assembly at the soonest!

Marco

This is beautiful, Mike and your build will surely be the gauge by which all other 1/144 shuttle stack builds are done. I would be disappointed if your shuttle were not included in Finescale or other modeling magazines. You should try and submit it.

Thanks for the compliments! I'll submit it here to the ARC gallery soon.

Hello Mike,

now the time has come where unfortunately some details are no longer visible from all sides, and I can feel with you how it is. :crying2:/>/>/>

Thank you for the great photos to the comparison. :worship:/>/>/> The painting and the weathering of the whole stack is unique and looks fantastic. :thumbsup:/>/>/>

Please show us now finally the stack on the MLP, I can wait no longer. :wacko:/>/>/>

:wave:/>/>/>

Manfred, Thanks for all of your support and help with this project! I just have to glue the SRB's and shuttle on the ET and wait for a nice sunny day to take some pictures.

Absolutely stunning work so far - each assembly (ET, SRBs MLP and orbiter) is done as if that was the only model you were building. I've said it before but this is going to be the main reference I will use when I get round to building my stack (and of course actual photos...).

It would be nice if Revell had made a more concerted effort with their MLP, but the cost for the mould would not have justified it. Instead it's up to great modellers like Mike to show us what can be achieved.

Great work and sadly, I am looking forward to seeing it all complete but I'll probably feel like I did after I watched the last ever shuttle launch - a feeling of huge excitement and euphoria tinged with sadness because "that's it, it's all over..."

Jeff

Jeff, Thanks for the many kind words! The Revell MLP leaves a lot to be desired out-of-box and even with all the work I did it's still not a scale MLP. However I feel it looks better and will make a nice display stand.

Mike, just catching up on your truly epic build, and congratulations all around.

You have taken this kit to the next level, and it will be THE build to emulate, or at least, inspire. I can attest that it was your build that gave me the courage to attempt this very complex project for myself, and I hope it does so for others as well.

Please post some pictures of the whole assembly at the soonest!

Marco

Marco, Thanks again for all the nice compliments and support! I originally didn't set out to do as much as I did but had some fun with this project and did make quite a few mistakes.

I'll post pictures of the completed build, hopefully soon.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

I just saw this thread. Very nice build although it's going to take me some time to read it all. I ordered an Airfix shuttle kit to go with the card MLP etc. after Manfreds build convinced me I have to have it. :rolleyes:/>

I couldn't believe my cat being in your photos (post 36) :D/>

Anyway, thank you for the detail build. Hopefully I might be able to close to replicating your work. :thumbsup:/>

Manfred

Hi Mike,

I just saw this thread. Very nice build although it's going to take me some time to read it all. I ordered an Airfix shuttle kit to go with the card MLP etc. after Manfreds build convinced me I have to have it. :rolleyes:/>/>

I couldn't believe my cat being in your photos (post 36) :D/>/>

Anyway, thank you for the detail build. Hopefully I might be able to close to replicating your work. :thumbsup:/>/>

Manfred

Hi Manfred,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm actually finished with this build and will hopefully get to take some pictures today and will post them here.

I'm looking forward to seeing your paper card MLP and Airfix stack build up. Spaceman(Manfred) has inspired us all with his current build and I'm sure there will be more of those combination builds to follow.

That's my cat, Harley! She was checking out one of my Airfix shuttle kits.

Can you post a picture of your cat?

Mike.

STS-133, Discovery's final mission, launched at 4:53:24 p.m. EST on Feb. 24, 2011.

Below are pictures of my tribute to the STS-133 mission. It took a while but it's finally finished! :yahoo:

IMG_2366b_zps043c231f.jpg

IMG_2391b_zps5bea6740.jpg

IMG_2416b_zpse56af3ca.jpg

IMG_2417b_zpsda441064.jpg

IMG_2377b_zpsefc30ea0.jpg

IMG_2419b_zpsbfd6f3ec.jpg

IMG_2369b_zpsd7de7291.jpg

IMG_2401b_zps049b3874.jpg

IMG_2397b_zps7b3c8e85.jpg

sts133-s-001-1_zpsf8a9010a.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Awesome!!! This came out soooo great. I think you've set the bar on how these 1/144 shuttles can be built. And while I'm happy you're done, I'm also sad to see it come to an end. It was becoming part of my ARC routine. Turn on, log on and look to see how Crowes shuttle is coming. Now I'm going to have to re-work out my daily routine. Sooo....what ya building next? :woot.gif:

Seriously, thanks for taking us along this wonderful journey. You should be very proud of it!

Bill

Thanks for the compliments Bill. :)

I'm happy to have this one finished, however, now I'm thinking about starting an Airfix stack build as STS-135 soon.

I'll post some more pictures of this build in another day or so.

Thanks,

Mike.

Awesome Mike! How happy you must be to reach this point. Your work is definately magazine quality if you asked me. As Bill said, you have set the bar for 1/144 builds, this will be the new benchmark. It has certainly inspired me.

Looking forward to seeing your build of the General Lee (another favorite subject of mine, Mopars!).

Hi Mike,

congratulations on your artwork, :boohoo:

:jaw-dropping:That's smashing!

Your build is really an eye-catcher and a 1:144 shuttle stack milestone. :thumbsup:

And the weird thing is, the small Revell MLP fits very well, because you have it so ingeniously detailed, with banner and the flag and the checker patterns and, and, and ... :woot.gif:

What I especially like your painting with the shades and the great weathering is, so it looks like a tableau, which may be really well part of an art exhibition. :worship:

I can understand your feeling now and that you might be down a little bit to let go, right? :coolio:

But comforted, your joy will always remain and will not pass, and also the pride that you have built a fantastic unique stack and have thus excited many of your fans like me. And this is important and therefore don't let down!!!

I'm already looking forward to your Atlantis stack, your show must go on Mike!!! :beer4:

I totally agree with the others. Your Shuttle stack is really stunning and a real eye catcher. The weathering on the shuttle and the pad is spot on and really captures the look of a flown vehicle. And with adding all the additional details to the pad you got everything out what was possible without building the whole thing from scratch or using the Maier kit. I really enjoyed you build and I am looking forward to your next build. Great work and well done!

Cheers Ralf

Whaddaya mean ... it's DONE! ... what am I gonna do now? :crying2:

Mike, I just went thru the first 15 pages of this build and, you have made hun-n-n-dreds of modifications to this kit. And I had to laugh when I read this ... from November 2010 ...

"I'm hoping to get this done within the next few weeks. I'll do some more work this evening and finish up the ET & SRB's details. If all goes well I'll be able to get paint on these parts this weekend. "

You've certainly taken your time on this and ... it shows. Your attention to details and the care you've taken in finishing all-l-l those details, from styrene bits to delicate, subtle paint colours ... this little 144 Shuttle is flawless. Yeah I know you're gonna say 'there's a lot of mistakes, blah, blah blah" ... but just looking at the completed model, and bearing in mind you showed a lot of close-up pix during the build, this is as close to perfect as I've seen.

When you create the write-up for Model Magazines or ARC's Gallery or, I hope, many more modeling sites, inform the unwashed masses of just SOME of the improvements / corrections you've made to this old kit. Don't be shy! It'll blow the doors off of anything we've seen ... and I hope we Real Space modelers all try to, at least, get up to the same level that you've set the bar at.

Well done Mike ... very, very well done!

Thanx for sharing this model building journey with us! This has been a real treat to watch! :worship:

Pete

Awesome Mike! How happy you must be to reach this point. Your work is definately magazine quality if you asked me. As Bill said, you have set the bar for 1/144 builds, this will be the new benchmark. It has certainly inspired me.

Looking forward to seeing your build of the General Lee (another favorite subject of mine, Mopars!).

Hotdog, thanks for the kind words! :) I'm very happy to have finally finished this one. I temporarily put the General Lee build on the back burner to work on a Star Trek Enterprise and now I want to start my STS-135 build.

Hi Mike,

congratulations on your artwork, :boohoo:

:jaw-dropping:That's smashing!

Your build is really an eye-catcher and a 1:144 shuttle stack milestone. :thumbsup:

And the weird thing is, the small Revell MLP fits very well, because you have it so ingeniously detailed, with banner and the flag and the checker patterns and, and, and ... :woot.gif:

What I especially like your painting with the shades and the great weathering is, so it looks like a tableau, which may be really well part of an art exhibition. :worship:

I can understand your feeling now and that you might be down a little bit to let go, right? :coolio:

But comforted, your joy will always remain and will not pass, and also the pride that you have built a fantastic unique stack and have thus excited many of your fans like me. And this is important and therefore don't let down!!!

I'm already looking forward to your Atlantis stack, your show must go on Mike!!! :beer4:

Thanks Manfred for all your support and compliments! I'm actually pretty happy seeing this finished. It's the first shuttle I've completed and I learned a lot from this build.

I'm now working on an AMT 18" Star Trek TOS Enterprise kit and will most likely start my Airfix STS-135 build soon. I already have some ideas on a few fixes and modifications for that build.

I totally agree with the others. Your Shuttle stack is really stunning and a real eye catcher. The weathering on the shuttle and the pad is spot on and really captures the look of a flown vehicle. And with adding all the additional details to the pad you got everything out what was possible without building the whole thing from scratch or using the Maier kit. I really enjoyed you build and I am looking forward to your next build. Great work and well done!

Cheers Ralf

Thanks Ralf!

I didn't want to scratch build an MLP and figured I could add some details to the kit's under scale MLP to make it a bit nicer. I'm satisfied with the results.

Whaddaya mean ... it's DONE! ... what am I gonna do now? :crying2:

Mike, I just went thru the first 15 pages of this build and, you have made hun-n-n-dreds of modifications to this kit. And I had to laugh when I read this ... from November 2010 ...

"I'm hoping to get this done within the next few weeks. I'll do some more work this evening and finish up the ET & SRB's details. If all goes well I'll be able to get paint on these parts this weekend. "

You've certainly taken your time on this and ... it shows. Your attention to details and the care you've taken in finishing all-l-l those details, from styrene bits to delicate, subtle paint colours ... this little 144 Shuttle is flawless. Yeah I know you're gonna say 'there's a lot of mistakes, blah, blah blah" ... but just looking at the completed model, and bearing in mind you showed a lot of close-up pix during the build, this is as close to perfect as I've seen.

When you create the write-up for Model Magazines or ARC's Gallery or, I hope, many more modeling sites, inform the unwashed masses of just SOME of the improvements / corrections you've made to this old kit. Don't be shy! It'll blow the doors off of anything we've seen ... and I hope we Real Space modelers all try to, at least, get up to the same level that you've set the bar at.

Well done Mike ... very, very well done!

Thanx for sharing this model building journey with us! This has been a real treat to watch! :worship:

Pete

Pete,

I forgot I had written that back in November of 2010. When I started this build I set out to make a few fixes and then got carried away. It sort of 'snowballed' after I said that. The other problem I had was, I hadn't used an airbrush yet and needed to learn that. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Then as the months rolled on the compressor I had stopped working and a few other things came up and I added a few more details and this build seemed like it would never end.

I won't mention any mistakes, but there were quite a few along the way. :lol:

I'd like to thank you for your help and answering the many, many questions I had along the way.

I'm now waiting, again, for a nice sunny day to take a few more pictures to post. I couldn't get some of the weathering to show up too well with the lighting I had available. In the mean time I attached some more pictures I took yesterday. At the end are close ups(front & back) of the supports I made for the flag and banner. They are removable and just slide over the tops of the railings.

Thanks,

Mike.

IMG_2398b_zps89ebe5eb.jpg

IMG_2395b_zpsd2aa1de5.jpg

IMG_2394b_zps20c17cad.jpg

IMG_2426b_zpsc2bb8a08.jpg

IMG_2425b_zpsbd672723.jpg

IMG_2431b_zps60cc4b64.jpg

IMG_2407b_zps30a409e9.jpg

IMG_2408b_zps5695df2b.jpg

Edited by crowe-t