Revell 1/144 Shuttle/Stack build/STS-133 - Finished!!!

Manfred and Marco, thanks for the support and kind words!

I'm pretty sure I'm done with the tile decals on the rear. The Cutting Edge decals provide tiles for the rear of the RSC pods but those details are so small I don't feel it's worth putting them on and having to do the extra masking again. I'll take another look at it.

Mike.

I will have to mask off the white areas again to do the wash. It's a lot of extra work but it's necessary in order to use the airbrush.

Any reason why you didn't do the wash when you had the tail fin and wings masked the first time?

Sorry if I'm being a pest! Trying to learn from the master.

Any reason why you didn't do the wash when you had the tail fin and wings masked the first time?

Sorry if I'm being a pest! Trying to learn from the master.

Thanks but I'm still learning myself. I could have saved myself a lot of masking if I had planned properly which decals I'd be using. :doh:

I had to remove the masking tape to apply the decals. I didn't want to take a chance that the decal setting solution(Solvaset) might dissolve the masking tape into the paint. Now that the decals are applied I sprayed some Testors clear flat Acryl over the decals to seal them. I'll let the clear cure for a couple of days and then mask off the decals and apply the wash. The masking won't take as long this time.

Edited by crowe-t

I masked and sprayed the thinned interior black over the tile decals. The paint went on a bit heavier then I wanted but it looks good in person. It's probably a bit more accurate in appearance then I originally planned. The impression of the tiles show through but it's a bit hard to photograph.

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Wow, this looks superb!

I have to say, before you sprayed the thinned black on, the tiles seemed to be a bit blueish/lilac and too obvious. But now, it's just perfect!

I really like how this one develops.

Wow, this looks superb!

I have to say, before you sprayed the thinned black on, the tiles seemed to be a bit blueish/lilac and too obvious. But now, it's just perfect!

I really like how this one develops.

Thanks for the compliments!

The tile decals do look a bit blueish in the pictures but I think it's the lighting. They look gray in person. I agree they were too obvious but they do blend much nicer now. I'll do the same with the nose tiles. I'll apply them tomorrow.

Mike.

Wow Mike, I can't even see the tiles at all now. Is it just the photos or me? Maybe I just need a shot that shows it more close-up and in more detail.

Mike, DUDE! This is coming along GREAT! I am almost speachless. The black overspray is perfect. The masking, the subtle shades of whites...Just incredible! Keep it up man.

Bill

Wow thanks Bill! I've been trying to get some steady work done and would like to finish this one soon.

Wow Mike, I can't even see the tiles at all now. Is it just the photos or me? Maybe I just need a shot that shows it more close-up and in more detail.

The tiles still show. I wanted them to look black as they should with just a hint they are there. I'll try and take some better pictures soon. When it gets the final clear coat I'll mix in a few drops of semi-gloss with the flat clear so the tiles should be a bit more visible.

Mike.

Hello crowe-t,

That looks a lot better, if you don't mind me saying? As was commented by SMN, the tiles did have a slight blue tinge to them but now they look so much better - with just a great subtle colour variation.

Getting a shuttle model to look accurate is really difficult - in some pictures the underside looks almost silver and shiny but if you did that on a model it would look completely wrong :wacko: but painting it flat black is just as wrong too!!! And as for the upper surface tile and blanket weathering? :woot.gif:

I am following this part closely, my Revell model is primed and asking me for some detail...I'll try and copy what you do :thumbsup:

Jeff

Hi Mike,

great job done with the masking, but I fully agree with Hotdog, I also can't even see the tiles at all now. You should show it in more details by some close-up photos. :worship:

:wave:

... I can't even see the tiles at all now. Is it just the photos or me? Maybe I just need a shot that shows it more close-up and in more detail.

Gee, you guys are being wa-a-ay-y-y too critical. I mean if you click on Mike's photos the enlargement is, like, 4 times the size of the model ... just how much closer do you need? :coolio:

And please refer to some, I mean a LOT of, photos of the actual Orbiter ... you won't see too many details either, 'cept for the 'gaps' between the tiles themselves.

I think this is the best 1/144 Shuttle model I've yet seen! His attention to the finish, to the paint details, to accurate colours, not to mention his masking, has set the bar nice and high.

Keep up the superb work Mike! :worship:

Pete

I wasn't trying to be critical at all, I just thought I was missing some detail.

I agree that his build so far is the best I've seen on a shuttle model at this scale. I can only hope my build lands in the same ballpark as this one.

The black tiles do show but it's hard to see in pictures. In those areas on the real shuttles all of those tiles appear black. Those tiles don't turn gray as they do on the bottom. It's a nice effect but hard to photograph.

And please refer to some, I mean a LOT of, photos of the actual Orbiter ... you won't see too many details either, 'cept for the 'gaps' between the tiles themselves.

Couldn't agree more. Excluding the effects of re-entry on the ventral tiles and the nose cone, at this scale tile details should barely be noticeable, and even then only when you get "up close and personal" to the finished build. Until Mike applied the thinned overspray the tiles were far too obvious; now, with only a hint of detail, they look far more realistic. Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. ;)

Excellent work as usual Mike! :thumbsup: Yeah, there are times when projects like this seem to be never-ending and you're not sure you'll ever get to the finish line, especially when the other concerns of life take precedence. But when you finally get there, I'm sure you'll be glad you put in the extra time and effort to get it right.

Edited by Zombie_61

Zombie,

This project does seem to be going on forever. I'd like to see the finished results but more recently I'm starting to get a better idea of what it'll look like. I've been trying to envision it all along but I've made several changes along the way. Sometimes an idea seems to make sense but doesn't quite look right when carried out. I also get many ideas from the great builds here at ARC and other forums.

Below is a picture of the bottom tiles applied. The seam down the center is from the edge of the white decal paper. I've since applied some pastel chalk and will maybe touch it up with some thinned gray paint. After the flat clear is applied and the white/gray pastels it should all blend nicely. Later I'll finish applying the tiles to the nose and wing tops.

The ET close out doors will be painted. I just have to scrape off the tiles. I cut an 'x' in those areas so the tiles would snuggle down nicely around the doors so the doors look a bit choppy now.

Mike.

IMG_2017.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Manfred!

I don't think I'll have to spray on any black or other color to tone the bottom tiles down. The overall coloring looks good to me. I tested a small area with white pastel chalk and it tones the tiles down real nice.

Mike.

The ET close out doors will be painted. I just have to scrape off the tiles. I cut an 'x' in those areas so the tiles would snuggle down nicely around the doors so the doors look a bit choppy now.

Rather than scrape the decals off, and risk scratching the surface, try Windex or setting solution applied with a small brush or Q-tip.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Rather than scrape the decals off, and risk scratching the surface, try Windex or setting solution applied with a small brush or Q-tip.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the tip!

Thanks guys for the compliments!

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Can't wait to see how you deal with that seam down the middle of the belly tiles. I fear this is going to happen to me on my build, unless I come up with some kind of new belly decal solution. Looking forward to seeing more of your wizardry!

The rest of the tile decals are applied. I'll spray on some flat clear in a day or so to seal them and then mask and spray on the thinned black. I'll go a bit less on the thinned black since the nose tiles appear a bit more weathered then the rear ones.

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

Hi Mike,

your baby comes more and more proudly and nicely, so it's really a feast for the eyes. :rolleyes: It's a pity that your shuttle is soon away finished. :crying2:

I wish there would soon be a continuation project. :worship: