Revell 1/144 Shuttle/Stack build/STS-133 - Finished!!!

Good work my friend! That is some mighty fine decalin' if I do say so myself. Thanks for sharing the images.

Thanks again Hotdog!

I'm actually having some fun with this part. The 'United States', Discovery, & Meatball are from the Revell of Germany sheet. IMO they are nicely sized and pretty accurate looking but the markings and payload hinge decals are about all I'll be using from the RoG sheet. The RoG decal sheet is nice but a lot of the other decals appear to be there to make things simple. Still the 'markings' are very well done. I'll be using decals from a number of sources including home made.

Mike.

Mike,

Everything is looking great! I am slowing working on my 1/72 scale stack. I had the tank and boosters from the Monogram kit I built back in 1985 that I am refurbishing and I bought a Revell orbiter kit. Now I'm wondering if I should just sand the tile details off (some of it is already missing from filling and sanding the seams) and using decals for the tiles. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Troy

Hi Mike,

you're just a real shuttle gourmet, :rolleyes: true to the slogan The best is just good enough, that's okay. :thumbsup:

:wave:

I feel like a cook! :lol:

Mike,

Everything is looking great! I am slowing working on my 1/72 scale stack. I had the tank and boosters from the Monogram kit I built back in 1985 that I am refurbishing and I bought a Revell orbiter kit. Now I'm wondering if I should just sand the tile details off (some of it is already missing from filling and sanding the seams) and using decals for the tiles. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Troy

Troy,

The raised tiles on the 1/72 Revell orbiter are somewhat based on the Enterprise so they are out of scale. I'd say to just sand them off since you're using the tile decals anyway. The raised tiles won't match the decals and will just get in the way.

BTW, you should start a build thread. I'd love to see the progress.

Mike.

Mike,

MEGA SUPERB. :worship:

Thanks for the compliments!

Edited by crowe-t

I diffused the OMS LRSI tiles with some thinned white. The outline of the tiles looks better then the picture shows. It was late when I took this picture and I was getting a glare on the OMS pod from the light.

IMG_5511.jpg

And here's where it's at now...

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

Troy,

Thanks for the very kind words! :) You're very lucky to have seen Discovery so close up. One day I'll get to the Smithsonian to see her up close and I can't wait to see Atlantis on display.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

congratulations to a perfect orbiter, I've never seen before, simply unique. :worship::worship::worship:

I'm already curious to see how it looks in the stack together with ET and SRB's. How do you attach the stack on the MLP keep in balance? Do you also indicate the TSM Umbilicals, which might provide yet additional grip? :rolleyes:

Manfred,

You're too kind! It's not done yet. I still have some decals to apply and then the weathering.

I'll use 1/8" brass rod epoxied into the MLP. The SRB's will rest on the brass rods. I installed some styrene tubing inside the SRB's for the brass rods. I still haven't figured out if the orbiter will need any support. If so then maybe some styrene rods attached to the rears of the TSM's to support the orbiter's wings.

I won't be making the TSM umbilicals. I hadn't planned for those and I can get away with leaving details out due to the limitations of the Revell MLP.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Mike,

It was a real honor to get so close and I can't say enough kind works about the KSC PAO staff. I was able to see STS-135 through most of the major milestones, as well as a tour of her on the MLP/RSS the morning after the rollout. Words just can't describe how massive it is and the photos just don't show it.

I saw STS-134 from the Haulover Canal about 12 miles north of the pad, as I wanted my son to have a chance to see a launch and they don't allow kids at the press site and I wouldn't change that. It was a great experience with my son!

I was also lucky enough to see Discovery off to the Smithsonian at mid-field just a couple hundred feet off the runway. I just wish it wasn't over! I hope you get to the Smithsonian one day soon to see her! I've included a link to my shuttle galleries below.

Take care,

Troy

Shuttle Photo Galleries

Mike ... I mean Chef Mike ;) ... the Orbiter looks Fan-Tass-Tik!

Absolutely gorgeous!

The way you've knocked down the tile lines on the OMS and cockpit area decals, looks nice and subtle!

I hope you're pleased with it, so far, 'cuz it's a real thrill to watch it coming along so nicely!

Pete

Mike ... I mean Chef Mike ;) ... the Orbiter looks Fan-Tass-Tik!

Absolutely gorgeous!

The way you've knocked down the tile lines on the OMS and cockpit area decals, looks nice and subtle!

I hope you're pleased with it, so far, 'cuz it's a real thrill to watch it coming along so nicely!

Pete

Pete, You're very funny! :lol:

I am pleased although I've made my share of mistakes on this one. Hopefully by my next build I'll have learned a thing or two.

Mike.

Magnificent! I see you even got the little black triangle at the bottom of the vertical stabilizer. Most people overlook that!

Thanks! :) Considering all the hours I've looked at reference pictures I'm still finding things I missed.

Here's another update with pictures. When I applied the LRSI tile decals on the OMS Pod triangular areas I had the tiles going in the wrong direction. :doh: Needless to say I noticed this after I applied the wash of thinned white.

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

I painted over these areas white and re-applied the decals as well as the HRSI tiles on the bottoms of the triangles.

IMG_2069.jpg

Today I applied the cockpit window decal. I had a small issue with the placement of the windows. :doh: For some reason the windows(I masked) were slightly farther apart(mostly at the bottom) then they should be. I used 3 decals for the application so I would have some extra length in the 2 center windows' lower frames. I made the adjustments and it all worked out OK.

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

The black HRSI tiles are applied to the fronts of the OMS Pods.

IMG_2070.jpg

I also applied the Payload door hinge decals as well as a few others.

IMG_2071.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

jaw-dropping.gif Amazing!!! :worship::worship::worship:

Me missing words, I'm just excited, your decals are now the high point of your work of art. When do you attach the SSME engine bells, probably not quite the end, right?

Thanks a lot guys! :)

I still have to finish cleaning off some flash on the resin SSME's and then apply some paint. I'm not sure what color I'll use. Maybe a base coat of Gunmetal and mist on some Interior Black to tone it down.

I'm still trying to figure out the best and easiest way to represent the white circles at the base of the SSME's. Those areas are hard to mask so maybe some white decal paper cut into the circular shapes. Any ideas will be appreciated.

I'm getting excited now. Now that the window decal is in place it feels like it's almost done.

Next I have to start spraying on the darker shades of the ET and I still need to finish the SSWS piping on the MLP.

Edited by crowe-t

Mike ... I keep trying to push First Aid tape ... because I've got shares in 'First Aid Tape R Us', and I keep hoping everyone will buy some to put on their Shuttle models! :yahoo:

All kidding aside, it works really well. It provides a good texture, can be cut out using a blade and a circle template and doesn't look too bad either.

Here it is on the 1/100 Shuttle.

DONE-AFT-ENGINES-CLOSE.jpg

And it can be painted and weathered to look good.

And I'm curious as to how you're gonna treat the aft RCS nozzles, paint, decals? I know, I know, "just be patient Petey", but ... it's ... killin' ... me! :bandhead2:

Never mind Mike ... I'll wait and see ...!

Pete

Mike,

You've done a amazing 1/144 Shuttle Discovery with great details..... :woot.gif:

All your efforts, time and hard work pays off...and the model is a true work of art and science!!

Hope you finish her up with the full stack soon.

Can't wait to see the MLP too.

All the Best,

George

Mike,

I don't know if they will be too large, but possibly those 3-ring notebook ring reinforcement labels. Office Depot Reinforcement Labels

They might be the wrong size, but it might work.

Troy

Those might be too large and have too small of an inside diameter but still might help. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike ... I keep trying to push First Aid tape ... because I've got shares in 'First Aid Tape R Us', and I keep hoping everyone will buy some to put on their Shuttle models! :yahoo:

All kidding aside, it works really well. It provides a good texture, can be cut out using a blade and a circle template and doesn't look too bad either.

Here it is on the 1/100 Shuttle.

DONE-AFT-ENGINES-CLOSE.jpg

And it can be painted and weathered to look good.

And I'm curious as to how you're gonna treat the aft RCS nozzles, paint, decals? I know, I know, "just be patient Petey", but ... it's ... killin' ... me! :bandhead2:

Never mind Mike ... I'll wait and see ...!

Pete

Pete,

I never considered First Aid Tape but now that I know you own the company it'll be good to help you pay the bills. :lol:

Don't the RCS nozzles have white covers during launch configuration? I may be wrong about this. If so I'll just apply a light wash of thinned black to fill in around the white centers.

Mike,

You've done a amazing 1/144 Shuttle Discovery with great details..... :woot.gif:

All your efforts, time and hard work pays off...and the model is a true work of art and science!!

Hope you finish her up with the full stack soon.

Can't wait to see the MLP too.

All the Best,

George

George,

I'm working on finishing this one up soon. I can't wait to see it finished soon.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

once more please: When do you attach the SSME engine bells, probably not quite the end, right? :woot.gif:

Manfred,

I'll attach the SSME's after the painting is done. The SSME's will be painted separately and then glued in place.

Mike.