Revell 1/144 Shuttle/Stack build/STS-133 - Finished!!!

Very...Very..very Well done Mike!!

Seems every details and aspects in your Discovery shuttle is captured down-right..!! :woot.gif:

Even the MLP itself is a stunning model and the combo looks very real... :boohoo:

Bet if you get it in a well placed photo-shoot, you could fool anyone thinking its the REAL Shuttle stack!

Once again..Amazing model..!!

George

Absolutely fantastic. I’ve spent the afternoon reading your build and now I am inspired to build my kit, but only as an OOB build as I’ve not done much modelling in the last couple of years. Unfortunately I can’t find the tile decals anywhere on the internet. Do you possibly know if anybody still makes these decals or can make them? I think the tile decals make a big difference to the finish of the kit.

Once again, an amazing build.

Chris

Absolutely fantastic. I’ve spent the afternoon reading your build and now I am inspired to build my kit, but only as an OOB build as I’ve not done much modelling in the last couple of years. Unfortunately I can’t find the tile decals anywhere on the internet. Do you possibly know if anybody still makes these decals or can make them? I think the tile decals make a big difference to the finish of the kit.

Once again, an amazing build.

Chris

Quite right, Chris, what kit and scale you're going to build? :coolio:

:wave:

Chris,

What mission will you be building?

Will you be starting a build thread here at ARC?

Mike.

Mike,

I have not given any thought to a particular mission.

I’ve decided to do the Atlantis after 1988.

I’ve just download some general shuttle pictures of the web for reference and thought I’d go along with that.

My only real worry is how to do the tiles.

Yes, I will start a build thread here. I’ve never posted any builds before as I feel my modelling skills are not good enough yet but I’ll post this build anyway.

Chris

Really Mike? All that time and effort, and that's what you come up with? Save yourself the embarassment of displaying that thing in your home--pack it all up and send it to me! :D

Okay, seriously this time, that is truly a masterpiece! I've read and re-read this thread, so I knew it was going to be spectacular, but after seeing the results of your labors finally assembled as one piece I'm pretty much speechless...or perhaps awestruck would be a better word. And I have to agree with the statements that, if it was photographed under the right conditions (i.e., lighting and the proper background), you could easily convince almost anyone that it was the real deal. I could list every positive adjective in the book, and that still wouldn't adequately describe what I think of your build-up. Your attention to detail and paintwork are second to none, and you've really set the bar high for us ham-fisted modelers. Truly inspirational and aspirational!!! :worship::worship::worship:

Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Mike-

I recently finished absorbing this thread and your build.  Absolutely magnificent effort.  Is there any chance that you've compiled all of your full-size photos such that a humble modeler like me might be able to use them for a similar project of my own?  Please let me know if you could help.

Ken A.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello Michael

I know this threat is old... I just spotted your finished Discovery in the gallery section and I am blown away! I am about to start painting my Revell stack. Is there amy chance that you could restore the pictures of this threat? Or is there a place they can be looked at?

I am now using this place for my picture sharing http://postimages.org/ 

It is (so far) free and easy to use. I also never use those pages to store the originals, I still have all my pics on a HD here at home..."the cloud" is not trust worthy IMHO.

thanks

Uwe

• 1 year later...

Six years have past since you gave birth to this baby... 😉

A deep bow for your model skills. Thanks for the hours of joy reading these pages and seeing this model taking shape. Hats off!

I recently aquired this Revell kit and this build and Manfred's (although Manfred is going berserk with details... 😂 I mean that in the nicest possible way) are sort of the standards to what I hope to archieve. I'll start my build later this year, since I have to move to another place and there I'll have a real model/hobby room for myself. Since I've never attempted scratch building, I'll cheat a bit and use the New Ware detail kit for my model. But this topic will serve as my extended building guide for effects, painting and techniques used.

My model will be a Challenger STS 51L. I have a lot of references already to make the model as accurate as I can, although I'd be more than happy if I arrive somewhere in the vincinity of your and Manfred's skills. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Mike for your nice compliments, :worship: 

but please not too much understatement of yourself. top.gif

Nothing is impossible, therefore Learning by doing is the way to go, and with the New Ware detail kit you made a good choice, because this kit is an amazing help for pimping the Revell Shuttele stack, smiley250.gif  which is why I try to use it myself for my Airfix stack. up045518.gif

BTW, I don't know if you know it, but check out the thread of our friend Mike (egt95), who did use this Newware Kit for his Space Shuttle Discovery STS-41D successfully. up040577.gif

7 hours ago, spaceman said:

but please not too much understatement of yourself. top.gif

Nothing is impossible, therefore Learning by doing is the way to go, and with the New Ware detail kit you made a good choice, because this kit is an amazing help for pimping the Revell Shuttele stack, smiley250.gif  which is why I try to use it myself for my Airfix stack. up045518.gif

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I can manage some of what you two have done. I picked up modeling again recently after a long time. When I was more active, some years ago,  there was no internet, so you just figure it out by yourself. Now I can read so much about how others did it and look up reference photos, so it's a bit overwhelming sometimes. I won't go the total 150% detailing way like you and Mike, but I'll try to make a decent model and take my time for it. Taking time and planning the steps are key I guess. It's not like I'm short of reference material... 😉

7 hours ago, spaceman said:

BTW, I don't know if you know it, but check out the thread of our friend Mike (egt95), who did use this Newware Kit for his Space Shuttle Discovery STS-41D successfully. up040577.gif

I might have seen it, but I'll check it. I've read so much over the past months that I'm not sure what I've seen. 

• 11 months later...