Revell 1/144 Shuttle/Stack build/STS-133 - Finished!!!

I sanded/filed down the flat part on the lower strut and it fits nice and flush so I don't need to fill that area on the ET. It's also easier when I paint the cradle, I won't have to mask, just paint and glue it into place.

I just placed the cradle on the ET for the pictures so it looks to stick up a bit but it'll be nice and flush when glued down.

Edited by crowe-t

I see.

Here is a close up of my model http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/140/3/5/et_model_strut_by_onigojirakaiju-d3gtd7q.jpg This one will need to be modified as you can see it all sticks out, compared to the photo of the real ET. An easy fix as it's glued on, with no notches to fill in unlike the 1/144 kits.

Have you thought of scribbing tiles on your shuttle orbiter? 1/72 scale is easy. 1/144, I don't know.

I see. yeah, certain details are difficult to impossible to even attempt. The tiny ice frost ramps are one detail that would be entirely up to the modeler, no matter the scale.

You mentioned you're making the MLP. Will you add weathering details to it like faded paint in some spots or rust stains?

Mark, I'm adding some details to the kit's MLP. I know it's severely under scale and not accurate but I'm using it as a 'glorified' stand. I'm adding the Tail Service Masts and some details to the front. When I paint it I'll use pastel chalks to weather it a bit. The lighter pastels should help to fade the color a bit and I'll use some earth colors to show some rust.

I see. you can make it accurate, a few modifications will need to be made. Lengthen the MLP as well as make a bottom for it. I remember as I used to have a kit like yours as a kid-until my little cousin shattered it. :(

Here is a site with helpful reference for the MLP in the same scale as yours. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t60603.html and http://www.daveayers.com/Modeling/RealSpace.htm

Edited by MarkD

Mark, It would be easier to just scratch build a new MLP then to start lengthening it and making a bottom. The kit's MLP is actually a better size for me since I need it to fit on a shelf. Otherwise the cats will get to it so I'll put it on a shelf high enough on the wall. :lol:

Here are some pictures of the SRB's with the white painted. I'll paint the cones and lower skirts with a mix of white and Radome Tan. The only problem I've encountered is my compressor made a noise that sounded like a 'clunk' right after I was done painting the white. It stopped the airflow so I'll open it up and see if it can be fixed, if not I have to get another compressor. :(

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Good grief those turned out gorgeous. I can't wait for the Airfix stack to hit shelves again. I only hope it comes with a proper stand this time, or I'm likely going to have to recycle my old Minicraft stand.

Good grief those turned out gorgeous. I can't wait for the Airfix stack to hit shelves again. I only hope it comes with a proper stand this time, or I'm likely going to have to recycle my old Minicraft stand.

Thanks for the nice words. :)

They have a few rough spots but luckily the lighting was low when I took the pictures so they appear a bit nicer.

Here are some pictures of the SRB's with the white painted. I'll paint the cones and lower skirts with a mix of white and Radome Tan.

IMG_3893.jpg

awesome build so far...

what brand of white do you use and is there any tricks for painting white as what you did with the SRB?

i'm also making one at the moment and following your build as a guide just need to get some guide on how to properly paint white.

The white i'm painting so far never give me a satisfactory result.

thanks in advance

kuman

Your SRBs look great Mike! ... poor lighting or not, you've done a terrific job on 'em!

And did you use flat white or gloss?

And ... do you have an Estimated Time of Completion? Any deadline at all? and are you, even tentatively, planning on entering it into a contest? ( you should ... )

Take your time ... but I can't wait to see this done! It's gonna be lovely!

Pete

kuman/Pete, Thanks a bunch for the compliments. :)

I used Testors Model Master Acryl Flat White thinned with a few drops of Testors Acryl Detail thinner. I really like how the Testors Acryl flat paints go down. When they fully cure they are almost like lacquer and will not budge if Windex or alcohol is wiped on.

The shuttle, SRB's and ET are done and basically ready for paint. I just have to add a few details to the orbiter cradle and the MLP. And now my compressor crapped out and the weather is getting humid here in NY. I'm also waiting for my friend to finish the artwork for the window decal. With any luck, maybe, within a month it'll be completed.

Maybe if a contest comes to the New York area I'll consider bringing it but I don't think it'll win any awards. A lot of what I'm doing is eyeball engineering, not exactly perfect work.

Edited by crowe-t

I was able to fix the compressor yesterday and paint the cream color on the SRB's. I painted the cones, systems tunnels that run down the sides and the lower skirts. I added a few drops of Radome Tan to the flat White to get a subtle difference in the color. I'll try and get some Future on these and decals in the next couple of days.

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3941.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Here is a reference for the boosters I stumbled on doing my own reference look for my model. :) http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassaway/GRP/Scale/ShuttleData/SRB.html

In the photos of the real booster you posted on the start of this thread, there is a foam spray at the edge of the aft skirt. You can see it in those photos and photos of recovered boosters. Also there is a black strip that separates the nozzle extension from the rest of the booster. The diagram on the link above shows it's location with a blue stripe. http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassaway/GRP/Scale/Drawings-shuttle-G/SRB-colors.gif

More reference at http://www.mach25media.com/spacecraft1.html

Edited by MarkD

MarkD, Thanks for those reference links. :)

I think the drawings in the second link represent SRB's from earlier missions. They show the top ordnance ring at the base of the cones in red like on the earlier SRB's. Those rings on the current missions are now white.

I'll be adding the insta-foam on the bottom of the SRB's after all the painting and decals are applied.

Here are 2 pictures from STS-121. The black strip isn't shown on the nozzle extension.

121AftLift9.jpg

121AftLift10.jpg

No problem helping a fellow shuttle modeler. :)

The black strip is now painted white, but it's there. Hidden by the flame curtain that protects the hydraulic system inside the aft skirt. http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassaway/GRP/Scale/ShuttleData/SRB/TC_closeout.jpg

Those curtains are gone when the boosters are recovered, probably pulled loose during the free fall to the ocean or torn off with the nozzle extension near/ at splashdown.

From the SRB videos, you see the debris from the explosive separating the nozzle from the booster. This vid shows it happen, the first view looking down the booster.

Looking very good. Glad you were able to fix your compressor, and can continue with the painting. Keep it up, it's getting close. Thanks for the postings, and I'll look forward to the next installment.

Marco

Dude! I don't know if I want to thank you for posting this greatness or curse you for making me want to strip mine and add the stuff you're doing. You definately are raising the bar of 1/144 scale shuttle builds. I only wish you would have started yours much sooner than mine and I could swipe...I mean borrow from your work. :woot.gif: Oh well, I can transfer your lessons to the 1/72 scale build and I'll be happier.

Bill

P.s. I know it's proably too late to mention this now, but ya know what would be really cool and maybe not too hard to do? Hollow out the triangler shape around the SRB mounting bolts and add the bolts. I think that would be neat to see how these 8 relatively small bolts are holding this massive structure. I wouldn't tear this one up to add it but maybe on the NEXT build... :whistle:

:)

Looking very good. Glad you were able to fix your compressor, and can continue with the painting. Keep it up, it's getting close. Thanks for the postings, and I'll look forward to the next installment.

Marco

Thanks Marco! BTW, how is your build coming? Did you ever get your order from Real Space?

Dude! I don't know if I want to thank you for posting this greatness or curse you for making me want to strip mine and add the stuff you're doing. You definately are raising the bar of 1/144 scale shuttle builds. I only wish you would have started yours much sooner than mine and I could swipe...I mean borrow from your work. :woot.gif: Oh well, I can transfer your lessons to the 1/72 scale build and I'll be happier.

Bill

P.s. I know it's proably too late to mention this now, but ya know what would be really cool and maybe not too hard to do? Hollow out the triangler shape around the SRB mounting bolts and add the bolts. I think that would be neat to see how these 8 relatively small bolts are holding this massive structure. I wouldn't tear this one up to add it but maybe on the NEXT build... :whistle:

Bill, you are being way to kind! :)

After I painted the SRB's I thought the same thing, that I should have included the bolts. I'm toying with the idea of adding the bolts but at this stage I may just leave that detail for the next build. I don't know why I missed that. :wacko:

Edited by crowe-t

I started to apply the black decal stripes to the SRB joints. The decals are 1/32" wide black stripes from Microscale. I sprayed a coat of Future on for applying the decals. I never used Future before this but so far I'm liking it. :) I'll spray clear Testors Acryl on top when all the decals are applied.

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Crowe, you asked on the new 1/72 scale model kit decals. I posted them on the thread on the model as well as a photo of my model I got. go look. :)

I also was told what those extra bands are on the left SRB and bit of on the right SRB, as your photos show. Those are sensors to detect stress on the booster. I have no idea why the left booster has more though.