Revell 1/144 Shuttle/Stack build/STS-133 - Finished!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Marco & George for the nice words! :)

I worked on making the Tail Service Masts today. They are in the beginning stage and need shaping and a few more details but here they are so far.

The TSM on the right side was a bit off in shape at the top so I added some extra .5 mm styrene that I'll sand down tomorrow.

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

I started taping off some areas on the ET to paint on some darker shading. I'll make a few adjustments to the tape before painting this week.

IMG_4785.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

yours TSM's look already great, even with the doors. I think, above you could round it off some more (upper arrow) and taper the sides beside the umbilical openings (lower arrow) something.

tsmpfeile.jpg

:wave:

Edited by spaceman

Hi Manfred,

Thanks for the pictures and tips. I plan on tapering the sides by the umbilical openings. I just haven't finished the details on the back yet. I'll have some more pictures posted soon.

I agree the tops looks a bit too squared off. I'll round the tops off a bit more too.

Thanks,

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

I managed to get some work done on the Orbiter cradle. I built up the rear struts to more resemble the cradle on STS-133's ET.

Here are some pictures showing how the cradle's rear struts look in the Revell kit.

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

I built up the rear struts using .40 x .40" styrene strips.

IMG_4801.jpg

Here are some pictures of where I'm at with the cradle.

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4813.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4838.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

You look exactly, your detail look good. I have here still this photo of the STS-133 for you, with which you can compare again everything.

halterungb.jpg

source: NASA

Edited by spaceman

Jay & Marco thanks!

I'm pushing to get this project finished. However I took a small break to complete a Polar Lights TOS Enterprise I'd been working on so I can get back and focus on this shuttle. I'm in the process of applying decals to the Enterprise so it should be done in a few days.

I'll get some updates on the shuttle stack up here soon.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t
  • 2 weeks later...

I added some details(catwalks, stairways and railings) to the front of the Revell's MLP. I still have a few more details to add so it's not finished yet.

:) I want to add that I'm in no way attempting to make an accurate MLP. :lol: The Revell kit's MLP is not accurate and vastly under scale. I'm only attempting to make it into a nice display stand. I do feel it really needed some Tail Service Masts and had some fun adding the details on the front. I used 'eyeball' engineering and just approximated how I felt it should look given the smaller size. The additions are very basic in shape. To see an accurate MLP check out (Manfred) Spaceman's excellent MLP build here on the forum.

Here are some pictures of the added details, so far, on the Revell MLP.

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

your details on the Side 1 can also be able to be seen nevertheless and look great. Thus that pleases me Revell's MLP already much better. What kind of material you used for the catwalk lattices?

Thanks Vince, I really appreciate it. :) As far as accuracy goes, on this build I'm focusing on the shuttle stack. Maybe someday I'll scratch build a more accurate MLP.

I did some more work on the MLP today. I added some more detail to the front and top.

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

Edited by crowe-t