Galland's Me 109 in Battle of Britain

Tamiya has a Galland bird in their 1/72 Bf 10-109E-3 boxing. The main external difference in the E-3 and E-4 is the windscreen and canopy. The E-4 canopy and windscreen uses heavier framing and flatter panels.

This is an E-3 windscreen and canopy.

Clicky

This is an E-4 windscreen and canopy.

Clicky

Tamiya has a Galland bird in their 1/72 Bf 10-109E-3 boxing. The main external difference in the E-3 and E-4 is the windscreen and canopy. The E-4 canopy and windscreen uses heavier framing and flatter panels.

This is an E-3 windscreen and canopy.

Clicky

This is an E-4 windscreen and canopy.

Clicky

Not exactly. The heavier framed, squared off canopy and improved pilot armor actually began appearing on late E-3s, and subsequently became standard on the E-4. (this was also retto-fitted to many E-3s and even some E-1s ). The 'new' feature was that the E-4 did away with provision for the engine mounted MG/FF cannon.

hopefully, I'm not out of place here, but go over to Hyperscale, and page George Morrison. He knows more about the German Aces than anyone else I know. Crazy Don Flynn's also very good. Hal Sr

I'm not big into Galland Hal (he dissed the Hurricane and that's my all time fave), so what he flew I really never kept track of.

Ok, kitwise the only difference on any kit on the market will be the canopy, and even then as mentioned those got refited to E1 and E3's as needed.

I don't think Galland flew a E-1 during the Battle.

I would suggest Hyperscale also

Here is the aforementioned Mr Morrison's answer to a similar question posed recently on Hyperscale.

(Login G.R.Morrison)

HyperScale Forums

98.217.40.104 JG 26 Bf109Es of Galland November 6 2010, 3:31 PM

Galland flew a number of Bf 109Es during 1940-1941,but none were E-3s (one E-1, the others E-4s). His earliest regular machine (and by this I mean used with some frequency, not just one flight) was WNr.0936 which he brought with him from Stab/JG 27, and flew through 20.July 1940. Then he flew WNr.2764 through 13.Aug. 1940.

WNr.5398 was his through 7.Sept. 1940., but THE machine that most people associate with Galland is WNr.5819 which he used from 7.Sept. 1940 through 14.April 1941. But during this period he also flew WNr.5816, WNr.5965, WNr.5966, and WNr.4958.

He had also acquired early Bf 109F-2s during early 1941, WNr.5776, WNr.6713, WNr.6714, WNr.6750

HTH, GRM

Steve

I understand Galland flew an E-1 and several E-4 versions, but no E-3. Is that correct? How many different planes and camo schemes did his mounts display? Were his later E-4s yellow nosed? And what is the difference between the E-3 and E-4?

I got a nice decal sheet of several of his birds in 1/4th. I used one of the sets of markings but if your interested you can have the rest for a postage stamp.