May take the plunge...what scale?

Some direction,please. I haven't built a ship kit since the 70's and I find myself doing more "tribute" models than anything else these days. I'm interested in the Arizona, of course (in the 1/200 or 1/350), and also the USS Johnston but I'm not sure of the scale I want to use. I'd like to get a feel for how tedious the 1/350 is for a subject the size of a DD before I pull the trigger. I'm also considering the 1/144 Revell offering of the Fletcher class DD, but I don't think the bridge structure is right for the Johnston and I know there are 1/350 Johnston's out there.

Jeff

My feeling is that smaller ships in 1/350 can be tedious, depending on how detailed they are and the paint scheme. New kits like the Dragon WW2 US destroyers can have a surprisingly high parts count for such a small ship, which makes for a lot of detail, but a bit of work dealing with all of the little parts. Tamiya makes a 1/350 Fletcher which is older, and a simpler build, but still adequately detailed. Personally, I prefer cruiser and above sized ships for 1/350. 1/350 destroyers are just too small for my tastes.

the matchbox / revell flower class corvette is superb although in 1/72 also large

and if you are so inclined you can also install r/c ( i did !! ) it is now awaiting diorama status

alongside a vosper M.T.B.

Hi Jeff,

Why not hang out a bit at some of the ship modelling sites like Steel Navy (http://members.boardhost.com/Warship/index.html?12568690220) or Modelwarships.com (http://www.modelwarships.com/index1.html). I think there has been a discussion about USS Johnston lately on the latter site. You'll find some good, helpful folks at both sites (and there are others out there as well). You can certainly feel free to peruse our website to see the sort of details and other goodies that are available. Finally, fee free to contact me directly if you have specific questions about kits, details, camouflage, etc.

Size(of the models) is my limiting factor and I have went with 1/700 scale which though small has a huge selection to choose from. My primary intrest is battleships and cruisers so it's not too small. I have gotten the Dragon Gearing and Tamiya Fletcher in 1/350 both very good kits. What ever the scale they all have fiddely bits.

TC

Thanks to all, I saw a 1/350 Johnston yesterday along with some others that caught my eye like the old Houston (CA-30), can't remember the manufacturer right off but I'm getting a little bit more comfortable with the idea. If I could see one up close and personal, I would know pretty quickly. Maybe I'll stumble upon one soon.

Jeff

I'm of the same mind on ships as aircraft - small ones in bigger scales, big ones in smaller scales. I've got a 1/200 Arizona on order, and I also have a Revell Fletcher to be done as DD446 USS Radford (someday).

J

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took the plunge and got a Dragon 1/350 USS Laffey (1942) on sale from Sprue Bros., saved about $12. Upon opening the box I was fairly intimidated by the delicate and small parts, but if I could build these as a 12-year-old, I figure I can do much better with them now. Still need to get a PE bending tool, have a couple in mind.

Jeff

Took the plunge and got a Dragon 1/350 USS Laffey (1942) on sale from Sprue Bros., saved about $12. Upon opening the box I was fairly intimidated by the delicate and small parts, but if I could build these as a 12-year-old, I figure I can do much better with them now. Still need to get a PE bending tool, have a couple in mind.

Jeff

Two single edged razor blades works great.

Jeff

I recommend THIS. It's all aluminum and is very well made. Easy to use with multiple bending surfaces, even has grooves to bend those pesky round parts. At $40, it's also a good deal.

Edited by indydog

Normally for ships I'll build 1/350th. I have the Musashi done and the Mikasa, King George V, and the Missouri in the stash. For a tribute I have the 1/700 Ruben James 4 stacker as well as what I think is a jeep carrier for my wife. I think they'll be getting done before the big guys.