Tamiya A6M3/3a

I just purchased this kit as well as the Tamiya Up Parts PE set and I have a few questions:

I have heard you should heat up the PE so it bends easier...how does this process work...just use a lighter and heat it up and then let it cool?

The metal guns that come in the set do they need to be painted?...they look sort of gun metal color already.

Yes, just anneal the metal parts by getting them hot over a small flame. Don't go overboard though, you can damage really small stuff. Just heat it up and let it cool.

Do they need to be painted? You seem to have answered your own question..

J

...I have heard you should heat up the PE so it bends easier...how does this process work...just use a lighter and heat it up and then let it cool?...

Jennings explained the process, whether you actually need to do it is another question. If the parts will only require simple folds, nothing needs to be bent into a curve or domed such as wheel spokes on early aircraft, etc, annealing probably isnt necessary.

I appreciate the tips and advice. One more question, process for painting realistic exhaust? Kit instructions indicate to mix metalic grey and flat red but all the finished kit pictures I have seen look to me like modelers used red/brown. Now would exhaust not be exhaust color like offered from Testors Metalizer line or even copper penny color like MM Metalizer burnt iron?

While it doesnt completely relate, look at your automobile exhaust piping - mostly dark metal not bright copper or red tones. Exhaust collector rings such as featured on many British prop aircraft started out as steel color and the heat from the exhaust gasses produced a multi-hued look that could include some blue, yellow, etc. The outlet exhaust stacks were a little further downstream and what is usually visible on a model is the outlet. I usually either paint the exhaust a redish brown and then dry bush a dark metallic grey or start with a metallic grey and dry brush a little Tamiya clear red or orange.