Correct airbrush mixture for model master enamels

I use lacquer thinner, thinned to the consistency of about 2% milk. That comes out to about somewhere between two to three parts paint to one part thinner. If decide to use paint thinner, use the Testors Airbrush Thinner in the 1/2 pint, black can. Their mixture has an ingredient that bites into the plastic.

Dave Shaw hit it on the head. I should have spent a little more time giving you info. When it comes to mixing paint, I take my late Grandma's advice on cooking. She used to say, "I cook with my eyes." She had very few recipes on paper. I have said before in other posts that "I mix paint with my eyes." Dave also gave you very good advice when he mentioned that what you are painting (i.e. painting a single cover coat vs. a SEA camouflage scheme) also factors into the amount of thinning of the paint. Dave did a great job and spent some time giving you great info. Good for Dave and shame on me for not putting more thought into my answer. Good Luck.

Edited by balls47
My personal preference and experience, i use normal lacquer thinner at a approx. 3:1 thinner to paint ratio.

so 3 parts thinner to every one part paint?

That's how i do it. I have to do more passes as the paint is so thinned, but i like the control of the laydown of the paint

My two cents.

I have been using MM enamels for years, my brand of choice, and I do not use a set mathematical ratio for this reason. You would need to assume that every paint jar is the same consistency before you start. By that I mean this older jar that has sat in storage for awhile, that I used a year ago, is not any thicker than the jar I just bought for my current project. We all have opened an older jar of paint only to find that it dried up completely but if it is still usable it will be thicker. That being the case, the older paint would need a bit more thinner.

Another factor is what I am trying to paint. If I was free handing a camouflage paint job with squiggles it would require a thinner mixture for the squiggles than one that I would use for an over all solid paint scheme. To show weathering is another example of where I would use a thinner mixture, such as used for ‘faded’ paint or exhaust stains.

In the end it is only practice, and getting a feel for it, that is the best advice to be had. You should only practice on something non-porous. Practicing on paper or cardboard is not a good idea because those will soak up thinner where plastic won’t. By that I mean, you might get that perfect line on the paper but as soon as you move to your model you might get a spider effect. The 2% milk analogy is a good place to start and then adjust from there.

Some good things to know...

If you are getting splatters your paint is too thick or your tip is damaged.

If you can not keep a consistent line, it could be either too thick a mixture or possibly a dirty airbrush that needs a through cleaning.

If you are getting a spidery effect your paint is too thin or you are too close to your subject.

If you are getting a sort of grainy or fuzzy surface you too far way from your subject and the paint is drying on the way to your subject.

Of course there is much more that could be said, books have been written on the subject, but I think that this should help you some (at least I hope so).

Good luck and have fun with it,

Dave Shaw

I use MM paint with Testors airbrush thinner. Typical ratio I use is anywhere from 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner all the way to half and half. You are looking for a milky consistency to the paint in the jar, so when you get some thinned paint on the jar, it coats for a little bit before sliding back. You don't want it to slide back down like water. At least with Model Master enamels, you have a bit of fudge factor to work with, so you can be a little off on the thinning ratio and the paint will still work just fine.

Hi,

I tend to agree with Mist. I use about 2-3 parts thinner with 1 part paint and lay down several layers but it goes down incredibly smooth that way. Also low pressure of about 15 psi.

Pierre

Sounds good, especially when airbrushing the fine details in an aircraft cockpit. thanks for the input

I use generic mineral spirits from Ace or Lowes Hardware stores to thin my MM enamel and it seems to work fine. I probably thin to about the 2% milk consistency. I don't really measure, just thin it until it feels about right. Like Dave Shaw said, it depends on the condition of your paint in the bottle as well as what you are planning to do.

I'm curious why some of you guys thin enamel with lacquer thinner? Is it just to make it dry faster?

I use generic mineral spirits from Ace or Lowes Hardware stores to thin my MM enamel and it seems to work fine. I probably thin to about the 2% milk consistency. I don't really measure, just thin it until it feels about right. Like Dave Shaw said, it depends on the condition of your paint in the bottle as well as what you are planning to do.

I'm curious why some of you guys thin enamel with lacquer thinner? Is it just to make it dry faster?

I agree with your reasoning. Once you get the mix sweet, you can make the next mix just like that. Colour has a bit to do with it though. Yellow and white are a pure mongrel. Dirt colours are more forgiving.

Your query. Lacquer thinner is to accelerate drying in adverse conditions. Like cold/ humid weather. Mineral spirits when the climate is hot/ dry.

Try this, a few drops of Floquil gloss clear can act as a flow agent and paint hardener.

G

:jaw-dropping:

It dries faster and grabs the plastic better. It also seems to shoot through the brush better.

I just mix it till it "looks right" No measuring, just pour and go. I use lacquer thinner, and even pour back the rest... Lacquer thinner doesn't mess up the paint like Testors thinner. I have even recovered ruined Testors thinned paint with lacquer thinner....

Curt