Looking good

Always liked the A-10

Rgds

Mr b

Thank you. I always have liked it too. Sure it's "ugly" but you can't knock the beatings that it takes and still gets home safe. I had a book growing up that was about an A-10 squadron in combat. Purely a fiction book but it was a good read for an early teen and I think I still have it. If anyone's interested I'll pull it out of the attic/library and take a photo. Can probably be found on Amazon now for a couple bucks.

As for progress just put the front canopy on after the rear canopy sat overnight wrapped with rubber bands. With the Black Box cockpit set the only fit issue was getting the canopy snug so I had to trim it some. Won't be noticeable since it will be closed so all is well.

I'll primer it today and then hopefully get some real paint n it tomorrow. Gotta check my paint stores and hope I don't have to buy some. If so will have to wait till I can get to lhs Friday.

Anybody got any good pics of the weapon pylons with nothing on them? I'm sure they're not supposed to be just flat but Idk if I'll be able to replicate how they'd really look after expending there stores.

Basically I'm doing an in flight model and will either have the front cannon firing (replicated with very stretched cotton around the airframe) or I may try n have a Maverick firing off. Either way I'm not going to have her completely loaded with weapons because I want an in action appearance.

inspiration photos

214890-bigthumbnail.jpg

A-10A_81st_TFW_firing_cannon_1987.jpg

A10.jpg

Edited by Bigasshammm

Threw some paint at it today over the period of A LONG TIME. My poor compressor was humming for a nonstop period that drove the wife crazy. Anyway the gray turned out to be too light but I still think it looks ok. I can add some black chalk over the entire model later on to give it a dirty look and also darken it up. Aside from that I'm happy with the result for using basically paints I had on hand.

I also got the mount and tube for the display stand. Installed the brass tube into the plane so that's ready to go. Next weekend I'll have to get a base to display it but by then I hope it to be done.

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Tomorrow I'll put the wings and such on and decide what loadout I'll put on. I want it to be "during a mission" so the loadout will be sparse and I plan on trying to replicate the gun firing with severely stretched cotton balls down the length of it. Any suggestions for loadout? Also what do the pylons look like after they have dropped or fired their ordnance?

oh yeah, painting real camouflage schemes take me a really long time too; it's certainly not like the all gray schemes now.

what color did you use for the gray btw?

Tamiyas neutral gray. The bottle makes it look darker then it is but it was still the darkest gray I had on hand. It's a little darker in person. Pictures make it look even lighter.

Effectively the gray look too light but great camo anyway! :thumbsup:

:pray: Gianni

Yeah I'm gonna try n darken it up.

If I have to go so far as to respray it with a darker color then so be it. I think chalk will help though. I'll try on the inboard of one of the tails to see what happens.

Ok so the chalk might work.

Before

IMG_0735.jpg

After

IMG_0736.jpg

I'm basically just brush painting the chalk on as if it were paint. Keeping it localized over the gray then rubbing it in till it's good and part of the surface. Should hopefully keep it from coming off with the Future.

Camera still lightens up the gray but to the naked eye the gray is almost no different than the greens which is what I wanted.

Edited by Bigasshammm

Been busy this morning.

Drybrushed (literally) the black chalk onto all the gray areas and blended it as best I could. This darkened the gray and also gave it a dirty shaded look so I'm definitely happy with it now.

Wings and tails dry fitted.

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

I love this stage of modeling cause you get excited and power through to the finish. At least I do. It's like when you get to the last 75-50 pages of a book and you just don't put it down till you're done.

Nice recovery with the gray; the euro paint scheme of yours looks good.

Thank you sir.

Coming from you guys any compliments are well appreciated.

Using 3 Tamiya paints I painted the overall aircraft Olive Green. Then came back over top of that with Dark Green. Then finally the Neutral Gray. I followed both the kit instructions and the printout from Cybermodeler. The printout though was rough because the printer lost the difference between two of the shades so thats why I got back out the kit instructions. It took a while but I'm definitely happy with it. I love the look of the bottom of the aircraft and am now Thinking I may have to mount a mirror on the base or if it will be supported properly leave the model so that it can be removed.

So now I have a new question. Was looking at the site that gives the loadouts and I'm gonna do this bird from the kit decals.

23rd TFW 76th TFS England AFB LA aircraft number 790176

Now the loadout site gives this reference...

23rd TFS weapons loadout

11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

AN/ALQ-119 No pylon LAU-88 Mk.82 LDGP Mk.82 LDGP No pylon Mk.82 LDGP Mk.82 LDGP LAU-88 No pylon DRA

R - AGM-65 R - none

B - AGM-65 B - AGM-65

L - none L - AGM-65

In the other loadouts it shows that they would have 2 Aim-9s on the DRA but it doesn't list anything for the 23rd TFS?!? DId they not have Aim-9s or was this a typo when doing the website?

I'm thinking I'll have the ECM pod, probably at least 1 AGM I may have the other's already been fired off, then Idk if I should have an Aim-9 on the DRA or just the DRA empty or no DRA at all.

I want this in mission specs and basically in the middle of the mission so I don't want the entire loadout on there.

Feedback!

So now I have a new question. Was looking at the site that gives the loadouts and I'm gonna do this bird from the kit decals.

23rd TFW 76th TFS England AFB LA aircraft number 790176

Now the loadout site gives this reference...

23rd TFS weapons loadout

11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

AN/ALQ-119 No pylon LAU-88 Mk.82 LDGP Mk.82 LDGP No pylon Mk.82 LDGP Mk.82 LDGP LAU-88 No pylon DRA

R - AGM-65 R - none

B - AGM-65 B - AGM-65

L - none L - AGM-65

In the other loadouts it shows that they would have 2 Aim-9s on the DRA but it doesn't list anything for the 23rd TFS?!? DId they not have Aim-9s or was this a typo when doing the website?

I'm thinking I'll have the ECM pod, probably at least 1 AGM I may have the other's already been fired off, then Idk if I should have an Aim-9 on the DRA or just the DRA empty or no DRA at all.

I want this in mission specs and basically in the middle of the mission so I don't want the entire loadout on there.

Feedback!

Jakub's site is very useful and gives you an idea of the weapons load, but it doesn't have every weapon configuration they used during the war. For instance, the LAU-88 was used only on a few aircraft, almost all had the single shot launcher rail. I do have a few pictures of A-10s with 4 Mavericks loaded, I think they look cool that way.

In practically all my pictures of DS A-10s (not all), they have the DRA with two AIM-9 missiles ... this includes the two squadrons the 23rd TFW sent.

"no pylon" doesn't actually mean, no pylon, it means no weapon on that pylon.

BTW, this is the plane you're building right from the kit decals ?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-phot...3/7/1335736.jpg

Edited by Benner

You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge. That is in fact the exact plane. I was looking for a pic but no dice and u get one right away. But looking at that now I have another question. The small pod that looks like a bullet and hangs off that fuselage extension by the nose gear appears to be missing?!? What is it and why wouldn't it be there?

Also back to the weapons. Were mavericks white or odg in DS? Were the LAUs white? I read that they never went operational with more than 2 mavs per LAU due to problems w the LAUs and also the exhaust from the mavs burning the gear wells. As for the DRA I don't have one so that pylon will be clean apparently.

You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge. That is in fact the exact plane. I was looking for a pic but no dice and u get one right away. But looking at that now I have another question. The small pod that looks like a bullet and hangs off that fuselage extension by the nose gear appears to be missing?!? What is it and why wouldn't it be there?

That's the Pave Penny laser spot tracker. It can be removed if neccesary.

Also back to the weapons. Were mavericks white or odg in DS? Were the LAUs white? I read that they never went operational with more than 2 mavs per LAU due to problems w the LAUs and also the exhaust from the mavs burning the gear wells. As for the DRA I don't have one so that pylon will be clean apparently.

Mavericks were both white and olive drab, with the AGM-65B being white with a clear lense and using a TV camera for guidance (Scene-Mag), and the AGM-65D being OD with a yellow-ish/golden lense and using IR guidance. These days, you will see the OD ones, and Light Ghost Grey ones.

That small pod is the Pave Penny laser spot tracker. It's not loaded on that plane in the picture because that A-10 was on its way to AMARC for storage. They all had them during Desert Storm.

Maverick color is dependent on the version. The TV guided ones were painted white, the IR guided ones were painted OD green. Most pics show the LAU-88 was painted OD green, I did see one where it looks white or maybe camouflage gray which is very close to white. Yes, they only carried at most 2 Mavericks on the LAU, the rail closest to the gear well was empty.

80-0248_2.jpg

I think I'll do the Mavs white then and I'll probably do the LAUs white as well but really dirty them up so they'll be grayish white. That'll give some contrast to the plane. The ECM pod I see can be white or ODG also so I'll probably do that ODG. I put out a feeler for a DRA rail from someone in the spare parts bin. If someone comes up with one in a reasonable time I'll probably add an AIM-9 otherwise I'll leave that pylon free.

I masked and brush painted the tail tips red so I'm hopeful that turns out ok. Usually I don't brush paint but it was such a small area I didnt want to go through the hassle of setting up and cleaning the air brush.

Another pic since I can't get enough of this paint scheme. This is how it will look on the stand. Any suggestions as to what color to paint the stand? I wanted clear acrylic rod but couldn't find it anywhere near me.

IMG_0743.jpg

BTW, this is the plane you're building right from the kit decals ?

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-phot...3/7/1335736.jpg

Well I just noticed I totally F'd up the red on the tails if it was like this during the engagement. I painted the red all the way around and have it a little lower than pictured. To completely respray the tails or no? GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well I just noticed I totally F'd up the red on the tails if it was like this during the engagement. I painted the red all the way around and have it a little lower than pictured. To completely respray the tails or no? GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

your model, your call .... but now that you have a pic of the real plan and know what it really looks like .... :thumbsup: AMS?

your model, your call .... but now that you have a pic of the real plan and know what it really looks like .... :thumbsup: AMS?

excuse my ignorance but what is AMS? remember I've only been on ARC since mid October.

I'll probably respray it because i didn't like how it turned out anyway. At least the air brush is still out and everything's set up. I sprayed the LAUs and Mavs today.