AMS - Advanced Modeller Syndrome - state of modeller, when he/she cannot build anything OOB anymore...

Ah yes I think I feel that coming on. Although I have always built OOB with the exception of decals sometimes I find myself more and more doing/trying different things.

It's only a matter of time till I spend a fortune on sheet styrene and other supplies at the LHS to start trying my hand at scratch building.

Hate what you've all made me become. :thumbsup:

In the process of respraying the tails of the A-10. Grrr

Tails repaired. Still have to go over the gray with the black chalk method I did before but otherwise it's ready for Future. I think I may have to spray the Future on for the first time. Not sure how confident I feel about that but I guess it's worth a try. Will have to spray my test bird first.

IMG_0748.jpg

This angle is close to the angle of the real picture for comparison's sake. (more mine than yours)

IMG_0749.jpg

All shiny and ready for decals. Plus another question!

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Now the question...

In what sequence would the Mavericks fire off the LAUs? I'm only putting 3 on as if one was fired but not sure where to put the one that is by itself. Also I may change my mind and have a Mav firing instead of the gun firing so I would need to know which would fire 2nd? I'm sure they probably fired symmetrically so as not to have all the drag on one wing and I'm betting they fired from the bottom first but I really have no idea.

Thanks again.

K

More questions. Been trying to find the patch that the 2rd TFW 76th TFS wore during DS

All I've come up with so far is this

23fg.gif

I think that's for the wing though so not sure if there was something different for the 76th or not.

Never being in the military I don't know how these things work. Thinking about buying a patch and putting it on the base once completed.

There's also this but it just doesn't seem right.

Ebay link...

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Bigasshammm
More questions. Been trying to find the patch that the 2rd TFW 76th TFS wore during DS

All I've come up with so far is this

23fg.gif

That is the post war badge for the 23rd Fighter Wing. Back in 1991, it would have said 23rd Tactical Fighter Wing. I might be able find

something for the 76th Tactical Fighter Squadron "Vanguards" when I get home.

Alright been working a much as I can on the 10 between dealing with work and 2 little girls my time is limited. Got the pit painted up and installed the tub in the fuselage. It fit rather well for being designed for the Monogram kit. Sanded the main fuselage (no putty) and have been working on some other bits. Not much picture worthy to show but I did find this picture while searching for pics during painting and I laughed my butt off.

firing-30mm-cannon-shells-a10-demotivational-poster-1265843387.jpg

one of those would sure ruin you're day lol, great build by the way

Seems like everything is dying down in this GB.

Got this almost completed. Should be able to pickup a base this weekend and probably order a patch and also a DRA from Netz.

Decals went on great aside from the shark teeth. I'll have to add some paint to blend it all together. They did finally snuggle down after about 3-4 solvent applications.

IMG_0777.jpg

It must be said that with every model there is a major F up. With this one I switched the unit patches on the plane. The ones on the fuselage are supposed to be on the tails and vice versa. Oh well.

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

The tail letters and codes are too small when compared to the real thing. Again oh well.

Time to finish up the Mavs and do the ECM pod and weather the bird then dullcote.

sweet, you're almost there with the finish line with this one :) BTW, I actually used mostly Tamiya decals on my Hobbyboss A-10 as Tamiya kit decals are quite extensive with the stencils.

Seems like everything is dying down in this GB.

nah, just not worth showing pics of the work I'm doing. Sanding / putty over and over isn't worth taking pictures of.

sweet, you're almost there with the finish line with this one :lol: BTW, I actually used mostly Tamiya decals on my Hobbyboss A-10 as Tamiya kit decals are quite extensive with the stencils.

nah, just not worth showing pics of the work I'm doing. Sanding / putty over and over isn't worth taking pictures of.

Yea I'm eager beaver to get this done!

Sanding pictures can be interesting to show people's techniques and such. I'll be sad when this GB is over. It's been a fun ride.

Yea I'm eager beaver to get this done!

Sanding pictures can be interesting to show people's techniques and such. I'll be sad when this GB is over. It's been a fun ride.

lol, I don't think there's much technique to that, just slap on putty in a smooth fashion, sand with 320 grit, repeat too many times until desired surface is achieved, then sand with 600 grit.

well I'm slowly working on Tonka, forward fuselage has been glued together, but there's still some work to be done... will post pics soon...

My A-10 is waiting for the decals to arrive...

I see your Hog is nearing the finish line! Good work!

Practically completed. I have to reattach the wing pitot I broke off while painting. (never should have put it on in first place stupid me) I also have to paint and finish up the ECM pod that I'll hang on the left wing. sand and refinish a few of the pylons I cut the tabs off of since I won't be hanging anything else on her. I decided not to get the DRA but may add that in the future as that wouldn't be hard to do.

After that I'll throw a white sheet behind her and try to take some honest good pictures for a change. Those will be up soon.

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

I had weathered the whole thing with some brown pastel to simulate sand wear but then when I clear sprayed it with flat that all went away. I do like the look of it now as it is though since the way I did the grays with chalk made it look weathered from the outset. I won't touch it with any more weathering.

This was my first time putting an inflight model on a stand and I like the way it turned out. I won't be finishing the wood base till this summer when I can get it outside and stain and poly it. At that time I'll either add a unit patch like I talked about or pick up a 144th A-10 to put on the base.

Next pictures will be the completed work.

Kris

PS. thanks for all the answers and help throughout this!

that looks cool, did you have any problems mounting it? .. or how did you do it? just drill a hole and shove the stick up? I've never mounted my builds, was thinking of possibly doing it.

I used the "In Flight Display" tutorial on ARC by Ken Middleton as my reference. Since the model was already built when I did this and having never done this before I didn't know to do things before closing it up. Either way what I did was get 1/2 inch brass tube. Cut a small section of that to put into the A10. Cut a half inch hole into the aircraft and then epoxied the length of brass tube inside. I also purchased 7/16th plastic styrene tube to mount the plane on but decided to get a wooden dowel instead to keep the look. I couldn't find anywhere here that had acrylic rods for sale and would have had to order them so I didn't. I repeated the same procedure with the base gluing the brass tube in and then finally today glued the wood dowel in after it had been cut to desired length.

This was what I was going for and I think I achieved it rather well. Ken's tutorial is perfect and easy to understand and this was taken directly from it.

21.jpg

congrats on reaching the finish line :D

So what did you think of the kit overall? I built one long ago and thought it was a great fitting kit that was an ease to put together. My painting sucked though :)

Well, you learn stuff from seeing other people's builds, I'll have to try mounting like you did. nice presentation.