Awesome! Thanks Mods! Here we GO! Just a repost of the general idea and I'll get some more stuff up tonight, including some banners. Stay tuned and Fly Navy!

Centennial of Naval Aviation Group Build

14 Nov 2010 to 14 Nov 2011

Well Gents (& the occasional lady) - Welcome to the Centennial of Naval Aviation Group build which promises to have a bit of everything for everyone. As many of you know, 2011 marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of Naval Aviation. We’re starting the group build a bit early to celebrate the events that lead up to it. On November 14th of 1910, Eugene Ely made the first ever take off of an aircraft from a ship when he flew his Curtis Pusher off the USS Birmingham. Two Months later he landed his Curtis aboard the USS Pennsylvania. These feats lead to the US Navy putting in a requisition for its first aircraft on May 8th, 1911, what the Navy celebrates as the birthday of Naval Aviation.

So what does that mean for us here? Well, we’re kicking off a year long group build on November 14th. That’s right, year long. Should be enough stuff going on and new stuff coming out to keep the momentum going. We’ve all seen some of the great Centennial paint schemes the Navy’s doing and more are on the way. When you start seeing these aircraft show up at airshows and in print, a lot of you guys are gonna wanna build’em. But there’s a lot of history here too, and thats the main thing. Its a celebration of the rich history and yes even culture, this part of the service has given all of us. It really should be something great. So lets get down to it. As I said earlier, its really got something for everyone.

If you’re into -

Yellow Wings from the 1920s & 30s - You’re in there

The Battle for the Atlantic - You’re in there

The Pacific Theater - You’re in there

Land based Patrol Squadrons - You’re in there

Fighters - You’re in there

Skyhawks - You’re In there

The Korean War - You’re in there

Vietnam - You’re in there

Adversaries - You're in there

The Cold War - You’re in there.

If you’re a slow builder - you’re in there

if you’re a one person production line - you’re in there

Basically anything from 1911 - the present if it says US Navy, Marines or Coast Guard - its all good. Jets, Props, biplanes, monoplanes fighter, rotary wing, support, etc.

The only, only, thing that is not going to be allowed is “What ifs†with a bit of modification. If the US Navy considered it and you have a pic of say the VF-41 F-16s you want to model - thats AOK, but the Navy SU-33’s from that magazine article are out as they were never officially considered. That is the guildline on WhIfs.

Your hosts for this event will be long time ARC resident, Ken Middleton and myself. You may refer to us as the Toxic Twins - I’m sure there are those that already do. Sponsors I am happy to announce are Deployment Productions, TwoBobs Decals & TwoMikes Resin. There will be some drawings for prizes and some of my prints and even a contest.

Contest? Seriously? Yes a contest. There will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd selected by you, yes, you and your fellow modelers. For those that wish to be entered, we will have a forum thread for that and when the year long build comes to an end, we’ll post those that have entered up for judging by you, those with the most votes win - I’ll have an email set up to receive the votes. Also there will be an Admirals Choice award chosen by Navy personnel - active duty and retired and yes, even an admiral will be on this board. That will be above and beyond the first second and third, so if you missed out on placing from your fellow modelers, the Admiral's CHoice is still fair game. Remember participation in the contest in voluntary. Plaques have been graciously donated by Mike Reeves. Everyone thank him please and the rest of the sponsors.

You DO NOT have to enter into the contest part of the build to qualify for the raffle prizes. These are two seperate things in a way. This way those of you that build for fun also get a chance at some swag. I want to keep the raffle for those that finish a model - the more you finish in this year long event, the more you're entered. its literally like buying a raffle ticket. Those that enter the contest will also be entered into the raffle.

Completed builds will be displayed on a separate webpage, in addition to the thread here.

Completed Builds Page

How to submit your build for the webpage

That’s it in a nutshell. Its going to be a soft start as I have had the worst two months in a very very long time recently and am a bit behind the airplane. I'm working on some banners, but feel free to design your own. I'll be keeping my present one up for a bit longer.

I’ll repost this in the group build forum as soon as the Steves hook us up with one. Feel free to send out your questions and start thinking about what you want to build. That’s it for for now

Fly Navy!

EDIT**

We will be doing a mid build raffle for all those who finish some projects by the half way point to keep the drive going and because we've had some great sponsors throw their support behind the build, including Darren Robers, Craig Sargent, Ro-Gar Hobbies, and Vagabond & Lucky Model. Thanks again to all!

Edited by Ken Middleton
Are Blue angels allowed for this GB?

And how much progress is allowed on a started build?

Cheers

Neo

Blue Angels are a GO! Post and image of what you have done and Lego and I will confer and get back to you.

Fly Navy

Where do I "sign-up?" :rolleyes: And can I also enter a partially built kit (about 2 weeks old)?

You sign by saying "I'm in" and starting your build. As for a 2 week start, depends on how much progress you've made on the build. Post a pic or two of it and Lego Middleton and I will decide if its too far along or not. Thanks for being a part of the build!

Do we have to decide at the start of the build to go for the contest or not ?

Or are all build automaticly in the contest ?

We will have a separate pinned threads for those that want to enter the contest and those that just want to show off. Some people would rather not compete and I can appreciate that. BUT, if you don't want to compete and finish off a model or two, you're still in for the raffles. Pretty sweet huh?

Aloha,

You mentioned Adversaries, but not Allies. I was waiting for this GB to open to start my 1/32 Sea Fury (probably in Aussie markings).

Does that fit the rules?

ND

ND, I'm sorry, I know this says "Centennial of Naval Aviation" but its geared toward US Naval Aviation. I know the Royal Navy celebrated its Centennial recently as well, but unfortunately, the Sea Fury is out as I don't think the USN ever evaluated it. My apologies.

is there a sign up sheet for this contest or . do you just say what you going to build?

catfan, this is Fuji's post earlier in this thread

You sign by saying "I'm in" and starting your build. As for a 2 week start, depends on how much progress you've made on the build. Post a pic or two of it and Lego Middleton and I will decide if its too far along or not. Thanks for being a part of the build!

We will have a separate pinned threads for those that want to enter the contest and those that just want to show off. Some people would rather not compete and I can appreciate that. BUT, if you don't want to compete and finish off a model or two, you're still in for the raffles. Pretty sweet huh?

I must admit that I was a little disappointed that the FAA aren't included as I tend to make aircraft in British markings.

However, my other interest is Vietnam so I am sorted. Also, looking through the proposed builds I can see there are going to be some unusual and interesting aircraft within this GB.

Making this GB a year long is a good idea as it allows modellers to make several builds through the year, whenever the mood takes them.

I hope to enter a 1:72 Phantom F-4, just as soon as I can find which ones I have got.

So thanks for creating this GB, and I may well be asking a few questions on proposed builds as your knowledge of American Naval aircraft far outways mine, so apologies now. :D

Cheers

Deacon

You often see these aircraft termed as "Aggressors". Like yours Ken, American aircraft with cool Warsaw Pact etc camo.

Deacon

Hey Deacon! Navy calls the opposing players in their DACT program Adversaries & are pretty picky about it. Think of it like the difference between the USAF having pilots & the Navy having Aviators.