RAF fortress III pics ????

Well, with the B-17 group build coming up, I've been trying to find some pics of the fortress III's but cant really find any good pics on the web and see if anyone here had some in they're research stash. Me and shawnM are both planning on building fort III's, and between the 2 of us have not really found much.

I would recommend you get hold of a copy of Streetly's 'Confound and Destroy', ISBN 0354 01180 4. Only a couple of photos, but lots of good info about equipment fit and some useful line drawings.

peebeep

Hey shawn, have you played with the paragon set yet? How does the nose radome look on the kit? What all comes on the PE fret, I've only ever seen not so detailed pics of it and a few people saying it's good. I do plan on picking that up but would like some more detail on it though.

Paragon set is very very nice.

The nose radome is vac formed with panel lines and joints

the PE fret has antennae, tail gun sight, center post for the radar dish and LOTS more! I can get a pic of it if you'd like, hell I can shoot the whole thing if you want?

The resin bits include flame dampers, flare chute ports, radar dish, IR sensors for the nose glazing, ball turret block off, chin turret block off, and?

Its a great set that includes everything we need for a Fort III. Even comes with B24 bits (nose glazing, antennae, etc).

Worth the price of admission for sure.

Found this over on BritModeler:

I was planning on completing the model to represent BU*G/HB774.

The information I have indicates the cheek windows were painted out as were the lower half of the aft cockpit windows.

The reason I raised the question regarding the radio operator's windows, given the navigator's windows were painted out,

one would think that the same reasoning would have applied to the radio operator's station and they too would have been painted over.

The aircraft also had the ABC transmission mast, the LORAN trailing antenna, the Carpet III aerial, and Airborne Grocer

and Monica aerials on the tail.

The monica tail antennae seem to have been on the later G's with the Cheyenne tails, not the earlier ones like Im doing.

The ABC mast is in the Paragon kit, nice PE bits, the Grocer antennae are also in the PE bits.

Im stumped as to what the Carpet III and Lorans look like.

Edited by Shawn M
http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/v2/equip/...hst/l-g/b17.jpg

Here is a shot of a Canadian Fort. We used a few for mail service.

Agree with shawn, BUT, the antenna on the wings was also used on PBY's, and is (I'm pretty sure) included in the 48th scale PBY kit from revellogram. AND it does look similar to the "piperack" radar I've seen on the turret of the fortressIII's. So that may be useful.

Mungo: Does the second book you mention have a fair amount of pics?

Edited by B-17 guy

Just a quick update to save you any trouble Mungo, I've scanned all the detail from "Confound and Destroy" and "One Thousand Shall Fall" and sent it to Jeremy. In the future I also intend modelling a Fortress from 100 Group so any additional references will be welcome. I had the pleasure of meeting Angus Cameron who was a wireless op. with 214 squadron last June when I went to the Bomber Command ceremony in Canberra; a fascinating guy.

Max

As others have said try and find Martin Streetly's .... Aircraft of 100 Group A historical guide for the modeller

This is the one for the modeller (or the Scale Models articles that it derived from) in that they detail the modifications, antenna placement and colour schemes. The only thing about them is that they are almost 30 years old, and some new info may have come to light since they were published (some of it was still classified in 1980s, and indeed may still be!)