Help! Paint-creeping

Hey guys

I'm having a problem with Tamiya masking tape and my Humbrol enamels. The paint is creeping under the edge of the tape, and leaving a "jagged" line. I made sure it wasn't lifting in any places, but here we go.

I managed to "save" my work by pushing back beyond the demarcation with a brush wet with thinner, allowing me to try again after it has dried. It has not harmed the underlying paint layer.

So, what am I doing wrong? Is the paint too thin? I thought the consistency had to be "like milk", but I guess mine must be more like skim milk, rather than like whole :rofl: The paint also seems to bleed regardless of the direction of my brush strokes.

I would appreciate any advice guys, this is somewhat disappointing me right now. :rofl:

Before you paint make sure you burnish down the tape securely.

Extra precautions is to move the airbrush away from the tape. So if (TAPED SIDE) | (NON-TAPED SIDE), you move left to right. Addtionally if you find your paint too thin you may want to tip the model so the non-taped side is down a little bit. This allows Cpt. Gravity to be on your side.

Edited by Zotted

It sounds as though your paint is the right consistency (like milk). Burnishing the sides is an excellent idea but it could also be that you are applying the paint too thickly. Try and use a lot of light coats, lightly misting it on, wait a couple of seconds, next light coat and build up the paint as opposed to a heavy single coat. It will take patience and practice.

HTH

Regards

I should add that I'm using a "hairy stick" for this build.

I have been burnishing with a fingernail only. Should I try something else?

I will try to take advantage of gravity next time, that may do the trick.

Thanks, and if anyone's got any more suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them!

Try wetting your brush and then on a surface away from the masking tape brush off most of the paint. As the brush is getting light with paint brush gently over the edge of the tape to seal it.Do tjis several times until the paint builds up on the edge of the tape. Works for me.

Hi there.

Long time listener first time caller.

I have just found success with masking for my cockpits in 1/144 scale with 'burnishing' (as well as I can in the space) then applying a coat of two of 'future' to seal that tape/canopy area then painting - waiting for the 'sealer' to dry completely, however.

Then carefully dragging a sharp knife along that tape/non tape area and peeling off the tape.

So far, I have tried it just twice... it seems to be working though.

Now, I just have to work on masking better... ah well.

Edited by Wege

Thanks guys. I haven't gotten to the canopy frames just yet, but if the paint will creep, then we've got a big problem.

I tried holding the model upside down, and painting with an un-loaded brush. This has helped a lot, but the line still isn't perfect. I hope it will come with practice

Thanks for the tips so far guys.

Another strategy is to apply a light coat of the first color of paint around the edges of the tape before applying your next coat. The progression might look like this (for example):

1. Prime

2. Apply light grey

3. Apply masking tape (burnishing edges)

4. Apply light grey at the edges of the tape

5. Apply dark green

The second application of the first color sort of seals the tape to the surface of the model.

I'll echo the Goodsgt. After you mask, spray some more of whatever color you have just under the tape. That will seal the edges and any paint that does bleed through won't show! After that dries, then paint your next color. Car modeleers do this all the time when 2 toning a model car with different highly contrasting colors.

How do you spray when you're using a paintbrush?

The same approach can be used by those who don't have an airbrush. Simply apply the second layer of paint with a paintbrush along the length of the masking. (I'd use a small paintbrush with a minimal amount of paint.)

• 4 weeks later...