F-15C Avionics Bay Green

Hey guys,

What sort of green do you use for the avionics bay of USAF F-15C's? Are there any specific shades, or do they change colour with wear and use like zinc chromate?

Also, what is the cockpit colour for USAF F-15C's?

Thanks.

Lim

Photo of a MSIP A model Bay 5 (courtesy of Ken Middleton)

F-15AMSIPBay58.jpg

The color on 1978 and 1979 C models would be the same, while 1980 C models and later would be gloss white when they left the factory. There has been some repainting of Bay 5, on a case by case basis, but unless you have proof to the contrary I would go with how it left the factory. You'll notice the bay has not been repainted during the MSIP upgrade; although, some people keep making the claim that all MSIP jets had the bay repainted. I have an old bottle of Polly Scale metallics that is matched to it, but it's long OOP. I believe that Xtracolors may offer a match in their enamel range, and Gunze offers a close match in their acrylics colors, also Model master may offer a match too (not sure on that one). The cockpit color is Dark Gull Gray FS #36231.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Thank you for your kind replies. One more question: Does the avionics bay behind the radar and the gun bay have the same shade of green as well? And did the same pattern of repainting it to white apply to those bays?

Thanks!

Lim

Thank you for your kind replies. One more question: Does the avionics bay behind the radar and the gun bay have the same shade of green as well? And did the same pattern of repainting it to white apply to those bays?

Thanks!

Lim

Others could chime in on it, pretty sure other bays stayed greenish blue, not sure about the gun bay tho.

Lim,

There was no pattern of repaints; the ones that had Bay 5 repainted were the exception not the rule. I had a friend check the Kadena jets, and he sent me this e-mail back in 2005:

I took a look at 6 of the jets out on the line today and they all pretty much have the light green interior aluminum coloring to them. The bottom of the Bay is a lighter almost yellow color.

The Kadena C models were all '78 and '79 models at the time, and the floor color was probably a result of wear and touch ups. As far as the avionics bays and behind the radar, they stayed the same metallic green, the gun bay changed to gloss white though when bay 5 did (1980 models and later).

Regards,

Murph

• 1 month later...
Xtracolor X159 is the number for the enamel. I can't speak to it's authenticity.

Rick L.

I have a paint tape text panel for the paint used for the F-15 interior and the Xtracolor is pretty much an exact match. The hydraulic actuators are painted with the same primer.