Alaska F-22 crash thread

Coworker asked me about this a few minutes ago. Google gave me this link.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/no...ighter-overdue/

I didn't see it posted, so I thought you guys and gals may know more about it. Fingers crossed if it is real.

B

edit: renamed the thread at the suggestion of another member, so multiple threads on this issue wouldn't be made.

Edited by BrittMac

For those that can't get to the link:

Alaska military base says F-22 fighter overdue

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 3:52 AM EST

Updated: Nov 17, 2010 3:52 AM EST

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - A spokeswoman for Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson says an F-22 fighter jet based at the military facility near Anchorage is overdue.

Spokeswoman Corinna Jones said Tuesday night that the jet, with one pilot aboard, was on a training mission out of the base and lost contact with air traffic control at 7:40 p.m. Alaska time.

She says a search is under way. Jones declined to identify the pilot, but says the aircraft is assigned to Elmendorf's 3rd Wing.

Edited by Murph
Looks like the first crash of the F-22 has occurred. SAR crews have confirmed the wreckage found belonged to the F-22. The pilot is MIA

It's not the first. The 422nd TES lost one several years ago while the 411th FLTS lost one last year. This would be number three- leaving the USAF with a fleet of 185 planes. Hopefully the pilot is alright... Glad to hear it wasn't Waco.

F-22 aircraft crash site found

11/17/2010 - JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska -- Search and rescue aircraft have discovered the apparent wreckage of an Air Force F-22 assigned to the 3rd Wing at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.

The aircraft lost contact with air traffic control at 7:40 p.m. Alaska time yesterday while on a nighttime training mission.

To continue searching for the missing pilot, a rescue team is being dispatched to the area, approximately 100 miles north of Anchorage, by the Alaska Air National Guard Rescue Coordination Center, the 3rd Wing and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.

Air Force Col. Jack McMullen, 3rd Wing commander, held a press conference at 1 p.m. to make a statement and answer questions from the media.

"Last night a 'two-ship' of F-22s, Rocky one and Rocky three, were finished with training ... about 100 miles north of here," McMullen said.

Everything was normal until about 7:40 p.m., McMullen said, when Rocky three fell off the radar scope and the pilot lost communications.

"The other pilot (Rocky one) went to a tanker, got gas and then continued to look for the mishap pilot," McMullen continued. "He could not find him. At that time, the Alaska Air National Guard scrambled a C-130 and rescue helicopters. They searched the entire night."

About 10:15 a.m., an Alaska Air National Guard helicopter found a site that fits the data and the description of where we thought the mishap probably occurred, McMullen said.

"They found the crash site. They were unable to land at the crash site and take a closer look. We scrambled another helicopter that should be in the area in the next few moments." McMullen said.

McMullen thanked the Alaskan community and Alaska Air National Guard for their support at such a difficult time.

The name of the pilot is being withheld until the pilot's status is determined.

More information will be released as it becomes available.

http://www.jber.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123231357

Edited by RockyController
It's not the first. The 422nd TES lost one several years ago while the 411th FLTS lost one last year. This would be number three- leaving the USAF with a fleet of 185 planes. Hopefully the pilot is alright... Glad to hear it wasn't Waco.

I believe six airframes have already been lost or retired, so now we're down to 180. I have a feeling the fleet is going to get pretty thin over the next fifty years.

Brian

The Jackson Citizen Patriot (in Michigan) is reporting that the pilot of the F-22 is Captain Jeff Haney, a former resident of Jackson and went to flight school at Western Michigan University School of Aviation before joining the USAF. The Air Force hasn't confirmed the identity yet though.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ss...s_capt_jef.html

I believe six airframes have already been lost or retired, so now we're down to 180. I have a feeling the fleet is going to get pretty thin over the next fifty years.

Brian

But weren't a few of those frames the initial F-22s that were used in development program and retired once not needed? There is already 1 F-35 retired.

The Jackson Citizen Patriot (in Michigan) is reporting that the pilot of the F-22 is Captain Jeff Haney, a former resident of Jackson and went to flight school at Western Michigan University School of Aviation before joining the USAF. The Air Force hasn't confirmed the identity yet though.

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ss...s_capt_jef.html

Wow, I'm from Jackson, and I went to Western as well. It looks like he would have graduated a year before me. Different program, and I never knew the guy, but that hits kind of close to home.

Its official who it is...

Missing F-22 pilot identified

www.af.mil

11/18/2010 - JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska -- The pilot of the F-22 aircraft that crashed Tuesday night has been identified as Capt. Jeffrey Haney, assigned to the 525th Fighter Squadron. Capt. Haney's current status is missing.

The aircraft lost contact with air traffic control at 7:40 p.m. Alaska time Tuesday, while on a nighttime training mission. Search and rescue teams discovered the wreckage of the F-22, assigned to the 3rd Wing at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Wednesday at 10:15 a.m.

Rescue teams from the 11th Rescue Coordination Center, Alaska Air National Guard, the 3rd Wing and Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson continue to search the area, approximately 100 miles north of Anchorage.

The family was notified on Tuesday evening and continues to receive support from the JBER family and leadership.

"This is a very uncertain and difficult time for the family," said Col. Jack McMullen, 3rd Wing commander. "We ask that the public continue to work with us to respect their privacy and keep them in your thoughts and prayers."

Edited by RockyController
But weren't a few of those frames the initial F-22s that were used in development program and retired once not needed? There is already 1 F-35 retired.

Yes, that's correct, but they are part of the 187 total, so we do have fewer aircraft than many people think.

Brian

A "Raptor" though very expensive, is replaceable (whether or not they do remains to be answered); the pilot however is not another aviator sure, but a human life no matter what that person does is priceless, one loss can never be replaced. :) they find him alive. Does anyone know if they found the seat, if not he probably got out, I know he was/is missing (Very thankful Waco is still among us :cheers::pray: ).