Alaska F-22 crash thread

My prayers go out for the safe recovery of Capt. Haney.

The local Kalamazoo TV news reports that students at Western Michigan University here are currently having a candlelight vigil for the pilot. Capt. Haney was a graduate of Western Michigan's School of Aviation (I think they reported he graduated in 2002). The report says that although the wreckage was found, no one has yet been on the ground at the site because of the rugged terrain. Our prayers go out to him and his family.

Seems he's a native Michigander. Prayers for Capt. Haney and his family.

From the WMU website:

Campus candlelight vigil set for missing pilot

Nov. 19, 2010

KALAMAZOO--A candlelight vigil will be held at Western Michigan University late Friday, Nov. 19, for Air Force Capt. Jeffrey Haney, who is missing following the crash of his F-22 Raptor during training maneuvers in Alaska.

The vigil is set for 5:30 p.m. at the Campus Flagpoles, a gathering area at the center of the main campus. It is being organized by faculty, staff and students of the College of Aviation.

Haney's F-22 disappeared from radar late Tuesday while on maneuvers in the interior of Alaska near Denali National Park. A search and rescue operation was initiated by the Air Force and wreckage of his plane has been located, but he has not been found. Search and rescue efforts continue in the area surrounding the crash location.

Haney, of Jackson, Mich., is a 2002 alumnus of the University who earned a degree in aviation flight science. A standout pilot during his years at WMU, he was co-captain of the Sky Broncos precision flight team in May 2002, when the team last won the National Intercollegiate Flying Association championship. He joined the U.S. Air Force in 2003.

Missing F-22 pilot update

www.af.mil

11/19/2010 - JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska -- Air Force officials here announced that search and rescue teams have found conclusive evidence the pilot of the F-22 Raptor missing since the night of Nov. 16 did not survive the crash.

Capt. Jeffrey Haney, assigned to the 3rd Wing's 525th Fighter Squadron, has been missing since the crash, however, a thorough search and rescue operation continued until today.

Captain Haney, from Clarklake, Mich., was commissioned in the U.S. Air Force in August 2003 and has been stationed here since June 2006.

"Based on evidence recovered from the crash site, and after two days of extensive aerial and ground search efforts, we know that Captain Haney did not eject from the aircraft prior to impact," said Col. Jack McMullen, 3rd Wing commander.

A recovery team at the crash site found a part of the ejection seat, along with several life support items that Captain Haney wore during the flight.

"Sadly, we can no longer consider this a search and rescue operation, but must now focus on recovery operations," Colonel McMullen said.

"We are all extremely saddened by the loss of this great American, Airman and friend," the colonel continued. "Captain Haney will be missed by the entire 3rd Wing and the (Joint Base Elmendorf) community.

"Right now, our focus is on Jeff's family," Colonel McMullen said. "We mourn their loss, and they are in our thoughts and prayers. We are doing everything in our power to offer them support and aid them during this time of grief."

The aircraft lost contact with air traffic control at 7:40 p.m. Alaska time, Nov. 16, while on a nighttime training mission. Search and rescue aircraft from the Alaska Air National Guard's 11th Rescue Coordination Center discovered the wreckage of the aircraft Nov. 17 in a remote, rugged area approximately 100 miles north of Anchorage near Denali National Park.

Airmen and Soldiers from the 3rd Wing, the 673nd Air Base Wing and U.S. Army Alaska's 3rd Maneuver Enhancement Brigade converged on the site Nov. 17 and 18 with assistance from the Alaska Air National Guard to continue the search for the pilot and prepare for recovery of the aircraft wreckage.

Recovery operations are currently underway and are expected to last several weeks. Air Force officials are standing up a safety investigation board to determine the cause of the mishap.

The Air Warrior Courage Foundation has set up an education fund for Captain Haney's children. For information, please contact Capt. Tyler Ellison at 551-5250 or via e-mail at ellisonTM@hotmail.com.

:shaking head:

I had a feeling it wasn't going to be a happy outcome. It sounds like Jeff's parents are with his wife and kids right now though, so we can pray for all of them in this sad time.

I look at Jeff and I see somebody like me, a person who loved to fly. I look on people like that with admiration, envy and gratitude for doing a job like that. I look at his pictures and I see a guy who worked a lifetime to fly the hottest fighter jet in the world and I am in awe. I am also saddened that his life was cut short, but he probably enjoyed more in the over two decades on this planet then many of us will in our lifetimes. He will be missed.

Damn.

(Words, words...?)

This is the first I've heard of it, but I had a feeling as a USAF aviator myself. I know how it works. We'd have heard from him the minute he ejected if he did, so in my heart I just knew this was the outcome I expected when I first read of the crash. I've been holding out until I actually read the news.

Damn.

Mark

Guest Hoban Washburne

Tragic loss indeed. Sadly based on the picture the Air Force has posted online of the crash site, it looks like there will be a very difficult challenge ahead for the safety investigation as they attempt to piece together what happened. I have to believe it will be incredibly challenging to determine what happened to this flyer when faced with the harsh terrain of Alaska, the remoteness of the site, and the onset of an Arctic winter. I imagine they are racing against time to get anything out before it freezes into the earth for many months to come:

101117-F-3745E-005.jpg

Thoughts and prayers to this man's family...

This is the last thing I wanted to hear. I sincerely held out hope that he had ejected and survived. These days, you just cannot tell what will happen. I pray for the next crew that needs it, no matter if it is military or civilian.

I hope his family someday knows how much we admired their father/husband/relative. Godspeed to you sir. Thank you for what you did, we will do what we can to carry on what you did.