Waldron Punch & Die

Hi all -

I just got the Waldron Punch & Die set from Roll Models. Been pondering for 2 years on whether to spend the bucks on this thing, but after repeated attemps to fabricate something functional like it, I just threw in the towel and ordered.

Yeah, it's pricey, but as you can see below, it does make nice discs out of styrene. Looking forward to trying other materials like PE or lead foil.

Roll Models has it for $48 plus $9 shipping to east coast....pricey, but IMO, well worth it. :P

PunchNDie.jpg

Roll Models has it for $48 plus $9 shipping to east coast....pricey, but IMO, well worth it.[/i][/color][/size] :P

I'm still not sure whether I should be proud of it, but I bought a similar set two weeks ago from a modeler's estate for....... 2 euros!

Rob

Hi all -

I just got the Waldron Punch & Die set from Roll Models. Been pondering for 2 years on whether to spend the bucks on this thing, but after repeated attemps to fabricate something functional like it, I just threw in the towel and ordered.

Yeah, it's pricey, but as you can see below, it does make nice discs out of styrene. Looking forward to trying other materials like PE or lead foil.

Roll Models has it for $48 plus $9 shipping to east coast....pricey, but IMO, well worth it.

Well, that's quite a very well invested amount of money, Sean! I got it as a gift back in the early '90s, when I was 11 'n' had the faintest idea whut it was for! :lol: Many lifetimes later, I fished it out from where the set was, after havin' read on a modellin' mag 'bout all of the marvelous things ya could do with it: from fillin' those awful sink marks - especially on landing gear legs - to replicatin' whole radial engine cilinders.

I still remember the bloke who gave my Waldron set stressed the fact of the expensive price on it, so I treasured my set through the years as if it were made of solid gold, even though I didn't still know whut use to give it, really... :cheers: Then I learnt 'bout all those instrument dials 'n' placards the set was primarily meant for! :doh:

Now ya've got to get the Sub-Miniature set, which is even more expensive. :cheers: Say, Sean; whut use are ya gonna give it?

I'm still not sure whether I should be proud of it, but I bought a similar set two weeks ago from a modeler's estate for....... 2 euros!

In all honesty, Rob, were I ya, I'd go pick up Ellen Hoog at her home 'n' go celebratin' 'til I couldn't hold any more Heineken! Two Euros! Then again, I think I'd also go pick up Sophie Polkamp, Eva de Goede, Carlijn Welten, retired Miek van Geehuizen 'n' Fatima Moreira de Melo! Hell, go pick up Doutzen Kroes as well to good effect...!!! :wub: Ya lucky bloke... 'N' if ya see any of those sheilas, would ya please tell 'em they've got their #1 fan down here in the Pampas, please? My regards to Maxima, by the way.

Incidentally, whut use do ya give yer set, mate?

Cheers to the both of ya,

Unc²

A couple of years ago, after pondering for six years, I decided to suck it up and went ahead and bought both the larger and mini Waldron sets. To be honest, I am happy I did! They don't get used much but when they do they are worth their weight in gold! Looking back, this is one of the tools, like an airbrush, that now I could not live without....

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN
A couple of years ago, after pondering for six years, I decided to suck it up and went ahead and bought both the larger and mini Waldron sets.

Hmph... :) May I ask ya kindly whut the six-year-ponderin' time was owin' to, Robbie? A mate of mine thought the price on the set was superfluous for sumthin' which it could be easily replaced... Bein' hell bent to prove his silly theory, he went buyin' one of these revolvin' turret hole punchers only to dissasemble it in order to remove each one of the six steel punches in the turret, to use 'em individually with a strickin' hammer. :thumbsup:

82524_R.jpg

Not only did he almost lose his fingers in the process of settin' the steel punches free from the turret, but also, once he got 'em ready to use, he hammered his remainin' fingers each time he stroke the punches... :lol: 'N' yet; he discovered that the steel punches produced an awful cut on plastic.

Only then did he accept he needed to purchase one of these decent Punch & Die sets. ;)

Cheers, bloke

Unc²

Uncle Unc - love your comments about your mate LOL... I plan on using my P&D set a lot on my next build.... the 1:12 Mercury capsule.... I'm planning on lighting the panel and interior.

Topgun - do you really find that the mini set was a good purchase...a modeling buddy of mine is thinking about getting both, but just can't get past the $98 for the mini set.

I have both sets and yeah...it's a lot of money if you don't use them. There are plenty of times I would like to

use either set but because of the limitation of getting the work-piece under the clamp they aren't much use except

for cutting very precisely dimensioned holes and discs out of Evergreen stock :jaw-dropping:

I used the 1/32 set just the other day to knock a hole out of some thin sheet. ....the sheet/hole was then placed

over a 1/32 Me232 instrument bezel and the 'hole' was used as a template to paint the rim of the fuel gauge yellow

But both sets are really a "solution in search of a problem"...but it's also better to have it and not need it than need it

and not have it :)

Edited by ThatJeffGuy
Hmph... :thumbsup: May I ask ya kindly whut the six-year-ponderin' time was owin' to, Robbie?

:salute: Yeah..I know. Six years is a long time to be pondering about these things but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money for something I thought I'd barely use. You know, it is one of these things that you don't think you need until you really wish you have one to complete a project. I avoided it for a while, trying to do things like that mate of yours (without almost chopping my fingers though) until I just knew it was time. Looking back, I can honestly say that I did not need these sets when I was mainly doing aircraft but when I made the switch to armor, there was no way I could avoid getting the two sets I ended up getting.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN
Topgun - do you really find that the mini set was a good purchase...a modeling buddy of mine is thinking about getting both, but just can't get past the $98 for the mini set.

I've made use of both sets to make a bunch of things I know would have been next to impossible to make otherwise. I do a lot of armor (artillery mainly) so, for me, the sets are worth every penny I spent on them. Yes, $98 is a lot of money but as with everything else, having tools that help you achieve what you're after makes it all worthwhile.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

You know, I spent about 2 years wishing I had one of these sets, and using all kinds of homespun methods and alternatives to get the same results. Mostly effective, but a lot of mucking about for an inferior result. Then, last year I finally bought one - and haven't used it at all!

:thumbsup:

Kev

I bought both sets back in '94. Sometimes I use them quite often, sonetimes not for a long time.

they are very helpful when needed.

Oh, using a heavy hammer is asking for trouble. You can bend the smaller punches rather easily.

I use a stick of 1"x1" wood w/tape on the end.

Uncle Unc - love your comments about your mate LOL... I plan on using my P&D set a lot on my next build.... the 1:12 Mercury capsule.... I'm planning on lighting the panel and interior.

Oh, that bloke... :rolleyes: He uses to have smart yet dangerous ideas; he reminds me of Murray Bozinsky, the wise guy in Riptide, an old TV series of the '80s. One time we were at home tryin' to vac-form a 1/48 Stuka B2 canopy, 'n' while I was gettin' the mold ready, he suddenly disappeared into the kitchen 'n' came back bringin' one of my mum's home appliances...

ElectricGrill.jpg

An electric grill with a variable temperature switch! :cheers: I honestly thought he intended to make pop-corn to go with the Pepsi, but then I saw him get the grill inverted 'n' place the empty aluminium tin cans at each corner of the grill, in order to place the frame containin' the sheet of clear plastic under the whole gadget. :blink:

At first I thought, "This chap is SO enlightened...!!!" 'til my mum sniffed the smell of burnt plastic 'n' came to find out whut it was. Needless to say Murray was almost instantly banned from ever comin' home again. <_<

- do you really find that the mini set was a good purchase...a modeling buddy of mine is thinking about getting both, but just can't get past the $98 for the mini set.

Uh-huh... If ya liked yer regular size Waldron set, then the sub-miniature one is a must. It's impresive the stuff ya're able to replicate in a 1/48th scale cockpit with the sub-miniature set. Of course ya'll also need a set of miniature pliers 'n' a good magnifyin' glass.

You know, it is one of these things that you don't think you need until you really wish you have one to complete a project. I avoided it for a while, trying to do things like that mate of yours (without almost chopping my fingers though) until I just knew it was time.

Noooiiiceee...!!! Me thinks my mate Murray would feel much better after readin' this. :lol:

Interestin'... Can we please see any pictures? I use the hammer of my 240mm Thör Action Figure, which is strangely made of stainless steel. Gonna see if I can take a picture of it.

Cheers,

Unc²

Edith Piaf: P.S. Has anyone ever used "them" Waldron sets along with Waldron instrument dials 'n' placards or is me the only odd out in here?

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Oh, using a heavy hammer is asking for trouble. You can bend the smaller punches rather easily.

I use a small hammer that is used for leather punches....seems to give good striking on the punches without be overly strong.

'til my mum sniffed the smell of burnt plastic 'n' came to find out whut it was. Needless to say Murray was almost instantly banned from ever comin' home again. :woot.gif:

Nice - luv the smell of melting styrene....NOT!

You're all gonna laugh....I always use the bottom of my bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin :thumbsup:

Jeff - I think that's a fine idea...it's got mass, and small to hold well. I'm sure you can deliver a precise blow to the punch LOL.

Actually it's not that bad Irv...I'm dreading the day the bottle fractures in my hand though :thumbsup:....but I only use a small tap. It's

funny for me though because I'm such a 'tool-head' since re-starting this hobby 5 years ago. There's an expression

that I often quote that goes:

If the only tool you have is a hammer....soon everything looks like a nail

I don't have the damn hammer....but I do have a contour guage I picked up on spec that I haven't used yet ;)

Jeff - A contour guage! that's something I need to order from Micro-Mark....get me back on their mailing list!

Funny - I also got back into the hobby 5 yrs ago.....I take it your married w/kids, like me? LOL

Irv...I don't know about that Micro-Mark contour guage. It's a lot bigger than you think and the little 'nails' that

make up the surface are the size of finishing nails...about 1/8 inch. So it would be fine for forming bulkheads in 1/16, 1/24

etc. but I think it's use is limited in the smaller scales. Maybe there's a finer version floating around and I bought the

clunker....not sure. But right now it's definitely in-search of a problem.

Re: kids...no, I did that 26 years ago and left that wife. At the time in 2006 my current wife was travelling all over

North America for one of my clients and I had a lot of time on my hands. My sister sent me a 1/72 Hurricane for my

birthday in 06 and the card said "figured you had a lot of time on your hands" :salute: I thought she was nuts....next day

I bought my first airbrush and haven't looked back. I got her back though....that next Christmas I got her a starter-set for

stained-glass work...she's very handy/crafty and took to it like a duck to water....she curses me ever since :thumbsup:

Irv...I don't know about that Micro-Mark contour guage. It's a lot bigger than you think and the little 'nails' that

make up the surface are the size of finishing nails...about 1/8 inch.

:blink: 1/8 inch dia. each "nail" comprisin' the Micro-Mark contour gauge, Jeff? Wow, that's 'bout the size of a regular Dremel bit shank! That's big! My wise mate, Murray, made his own contour gauge out of a lice 'n' nits removin' comb which "nails" were .039 inch dia.

Maybe there's a finer version floating around and I bought the clunker....not sure. But right now it's definitely in-search of a problem.

Meanin' ya've got Micro-Mark's? I bought mine from Travis Perkins, but I don't quite like it; I'd rather have one with "nails" made of steel, provided not 1/8 inch in dia... :rolleyes:

Tile Profile Gauge 140mm

In case ya can't see the picture on Travis Perkins' site

My sister sent me a 1/72 Hurricane for my birthday in 06 and the card said "figured you had a lot of time on your hands" I thought she was nuts...

:) Noooiiiceee...!!! At least the kit was delivered unbroken to ya; my ex girlfriend brought me the 1/48 Promodeller PBY-5A Catalina a few years ago. When I went to her house to fetch my gift, I rang the intercom, she leant outside her window in the second storey 'n' tossed the kit down to me on the street on pretense that with the price it cost, the box ought to have flown by itself all the way down!

Tried catchin' the box's fall, but tree branches, TV cable lines, passerbies 'n' the box's aerodynamics itself botched up my ever attempt. :crying2: Some parts inside broke...

that next Christmas I got her a starter-set for stained-glass work...she's very handy/crafty and took to it like a duck to water....she curses me ever since

Oh, of course there was no Christmas present whutsoever from me to that insolent sheila... ;)

Cheers,

Unc²

One word of warning Uncle...I suck badly at estimating sizes of stuff. My dad, you could hold your hands 'x'

distance apart and he would tell you within a 1/4 inch. He even used to guess the size of feeler guages without

looking when I used to hand them him back in the day when we gapping plugs on his father's tractor.

Suffice to say...1/8 _may_ be an exaggeration on my part. But I do have the MicroMark tool and it's all

metal and the 'nails' (or whatever they're called) look to me like they're about the size of 1/8 inch finishing

nails.

Actually..I just placed it against a ruler and there are 32 nails per inch..so they're 1/32 finishing nails

and you can see light through it. I really do suck at guessing dimensions :cheers: . Looks like Murray

may have been on the right track there.

From the looks of the one you posted there are no gaps so maybe it would be better for

our purposes than the MicroMark version. One of these days I have to take this tool out

of my bag....it's beginning to look like a graphite 2-iron I paid big bucks for and never used

make up the surface are the size of finishing nails...about 1/8 inch. So it would be fine for forming bulkheads in 1/16, 1/24

etc. but I think it's use is limited in the smaller scales. Maybe there's a finer version floating around and I bought the

clunker....not sure. But right now it's definitely in-search of a problem.

I looked again at the MM contour gage...yes, I agree with your 1/8th assessment...did a quick search for a high fidelity gage and came up empty....maybe a drafting store would know where to get one for finer measurements.

Re: kids...no, I did that 26 years ago and left that wife. At the time in 2006 my current wife was travelling all over

North America for one of my clients and I had a lot of time on my hands. My sister sent me a 1/72 Hurricane for my

birthday in 06 and the card said "figured you had a lot of time on your hands" :) I thought she was nuts....next day

I bought my first airbrush and haven't looked back. I got her back though....that next Christmas I got her a starter-set for

stained-glass work...she's very handy/crafty and took to it like a duck to water....she curses me ever since ;)

Ha ha...great story...did you finish the Hurricane? I got back into the hobby when I found a partially completed Hasegawa F-105 that I was working on in the late '80s with a buddy who had all the tools....I moved away, boxed that thing up and it sat in storage for 16 years.