Driving too fast to get a ticket?

:D,I don't know about Western Australia, but here in New South Wallistan, a police officer not only has to be driving a pursuit rated car, V8 Commodore, V8 Falcon, Lancer EVO or Subaru WRX, but also has to be pursuit rated and have had a practical pursuit assessment within the previous so many months or they can't do pursuits period. If they do and get caught they can face dire consequences. A few years ago a young female constable started a pursuit of a wanted car in a 4x4 cage truck and came to grief outside a cousin of mine's house when she rolled the cage truck right over once and injured both herself and her partner. She was dismissed from the Force for her trouble and the wanted car she was trying to pusue naturally got away. A way around havig to prove that the offender was travelling at such and such a speed would be to have the bog standard Falcon's speedo tested and then say in court that at an indicated 166km/h the actual speed was say 160 km/h , illegal anywhere in Oz these days (the fastest legal speed anywhere here now is in the Northern Territory and that is oly 130km/h) and then say that the Lambo was still pulling away from them at that speed over the required distance. The officers should also have booked him for emissions production, obviously the Lambo was burning oil to produce blue smoke and may not have been if he wasn't going so fast. If he was doing in excess of 160 km/h he may well have been exceeding the posted limit by double (depending where he was at the time).

When I first got my licence in 1970 we had de-restricted speed roads, indicated by a black diagonal stripe on a red circle. However, if you were caught exceeding 50 mph (80km/h) on one of these roads you had to be able to prove to a court that you were doing so in a safe manor. There was a bloke caught driving an Alfa Romeo on the NSW far North Coast years ago at 105 mph and he was able to prove to the magistrate that he was doing so safely. This riled the police greatly, not because he had actually been doing anything really wrong, but because they were embarassed as heck as a result, and they started pushing for a blanket limit of 60 mph on 2 lane roads and were backed up by the then Department of Transport. It didn't take very long for them to get their way and now we have blanket limits all over the country.

Another trick the police pulled in my local area years ago was to deny that a certain stretch of road, not really known as an accident black spot, was going to have the speed limit dropped from 100 km/h to 80. These denials went on for several weeks until on the Friday afternoon of a long weekend, just before knock off time, the 100 speed signs came down to be replaced by 80 limit signs. They caught thousands in that few kilometers over that long weekend after promising that nothing was going to change and if it did the public would be consulted first and info would be put into the public domain first. Cash grab? You bet it was and many of the drivers caught took their cases to court and won as these promises had been aired state wide. It ended up costing the State Government more in court costs for the agrieved drivers than they made from the cash grab, but we are still slung with the 80 km/h limit along there.

:D,

Ross.

: A way around havig to prove that the offender was travelling at such and such a speed would be to have the bog standard Falcon's speedo tested and then say in court that at an indicated 166km/h the actual speed was say 160 km/h ,

it is still no good in a court though is it ??

a good lawyer would rip them to pieces !!

you have to produce accurate evidence , whilst we all know he was speeding !!

how can you prepare a solid case saying " he was travelling at 160 or it could have been 170 or maybe 150 over a 100 yrds or it might have been 150 yrds

speed = distance therefore you have to have both correct to establish a fair case

This case has had a bit of media time/inches here in WA. Originally, the driver, who was road testing a client's vehicle gave the car a 'squirt' on a relatively safe piece of road (Reid Highway, an otherwise appalling bit of tat). As soon as he saw the cops in pursuit, he pulled over and waited. The client's car was impounded under 'anti-hoon' legislation.

The sad part is, the Falcon was just a patrol car without the necessary equipment to clock a pursuit. Sure the cops may well have hit 160kmh trying to catch up, but they didn't get to to the right thing. Magistro claims to have 'only' hit 130kmh on the 90kmh zone. Not a hooning confiscation trigger. That would be 135kmh on that stretch. There's the rub. Soccer mums and tradesmen regularly travel that bit of road in One-tonners, Tonkas and Taragos at 110kmh. That's who they were hunting.

The client kicked up a fuss about the loss of his car. So the legislation was changed to allow for the release of an impounded vehicle when the offender offered up a similar surety. Then when it hit the courts, it transpires the cops managed to wreck the ignition system while 'testing' the impounded vehicle. ?! Oops. 50k to fix.

Me, I was at work and at least he was sober.

G

edit: Perhaps the good client (doctor) needs one of these?

Edited by Grant in West Oz

Ford Falcon? I've only seen one in the last 30 years. What are they doing with those, or have they made a special one lately only for export?

When I was growing up the New Jersey State Ploice drove unmarked Stingrays. try outruning one of those. When I was int he Air Force I drove some 74 Chevy pickups that could outrun the Starksky Torino with little or no trouble. The local police were driving 440 magnums.

Falcon's are made in Australia for the AUS and New Zealand Market. Comes with a straight 6 or a V8 engine. My 06 Model is a 6 cylander baseline engine. Great smooth ride and sounds nice when ya put your foot down

The Falcon is due to get the Cayote engine from the new Mustang in the next couple of years. It should smoke any holden in its path

Our police here have been hammered for making decisions about high speed pursuits from all quarters of the community, notably from the more left winged minded. Several coroners reports have also been quite damning as as well.

Highway Patrol cars look like this;

0503-ds_vzexec-te203_00.jpg

and can catch most offenders.

Police here are damned if they do and damned if they do not. They do a fine job under great pressure. My cousin and brother in law have told me many stories about what crap they have to put up with and that is not just caused by the scum they arrest...

I vote for these... :cheers:

Speed%20Limit%20Chopper.jpg

Edited by madmike
how can you follow a vehicle doing an alleged 115 MPH in a vehicle only capable of 95 M.P.H. tops for long enough to give required estimate

you can only guess therefore you cannot give accurate evidence

it is still no good in a court though is it ??

a good lawyer would rip them to pieces !!

you have to produce accurate evidence , whilst we all know he was speeding !!

how can you prepare a solid case saying " he was travelling at 160 or it could have been 170 or maybe 150 over a 100 yrds or it might have been 150 yrds

speed = distance therefore you have to have both correct to establish a fair case

Speed is distance over time, all the 95mph car would need to do is travel over the same distance/ spot as the 115mph car to come up with two judgments of speed.

What one would then come up with is a minimum required speed the vehicle needed to travel over the distance in that time period.

Speed is distance over time, all the 95mph car would need to do is travel over the same distance/ spot as the 115mph car to come up with two judgments of speed.

What one would then come up with is a minimum required speed the vehicle needed to travel over the distance in that time period.

still too unreliable it may be a fair assesment for calculating but you couldn't get a deffinate figure

as you couldn't account for acceleration deceleration !!

still too unreliable it may be a fair assesment for calculating but you couldn't get a deffinate figure

as you couldn't account for acceleration deceleration !!

Acceleration and deceleration are rates of change of velocity over time, not the same as speed, Speed is constant.

One would not need a definite figure of the speed the car was moving since one could definitely say the car needed to be at such a such minimum speed to cover the distance.

Falcon's are made in Australia for the AUS and New Zealand Market. Comes with a straight 6 or a V8 engine. My 06 Model is a 6 cylander baseline engine. Great smooth ride and sounds nice when ya put your foot down

The Falcon is due to get the Cayote engine from the new Mustang in the next couple of years. It should smoke any holden in its path

please...fords have to supercharge their motors to beat holdens, mustang rubbish will be no better... :woot.gif:

Acceleration and deceleration are rates of change of velocity over time, not the same as speed, Speed is constant.

One would not need a definite figure of the speed the car was moving since one could definitely say the car needed to be at such a such minimum speed to cover the distance.

That is correct. In fact there are some freeways in Victoria (Aust) which have 'point-to-point' speed check cameras.

They photograph every vehicle (number plate, driver and overall view) at the start of a section of road, then again before the next exit. It the vehicle passes between the two points at less than the predetermined time, it's deemed to have been speeding, the time stamps on the two photos is calculated to a speed and you receive a citation in the mail.

The big trouble seems to be, the freeway is so congested that one may only travel at that rate when the roads are quiet and less dangerous. ?! Love that!

G

please...fords have to supercharge their motors to beat holdens, mustang rubbish will be no better... :touche:

From my own experiences, Mustangs do not need a Supercharger to beat Holdens.

This time slip is from when my car was pretty much stock normally aspirated "left lane car in my avatar" car in "right lane" is a 2005 GTO. One can tell from the GTO's 60ft times, the driver was not some goofball who has never been to a track or on stock tires etc.

We put superchargers on our Stangs to handle bigger fish like Z06s and Vipers :taunt:

PS: my car number i used was in reference to the 102nd Fw :lol:

Atco04-1.jpg

Edited by Wayne S
That's all fine and good Wayne....but you could never beat my car. :boohoo:

:rolleyes:

Found this one from 2006, My car is in the left lane my Dad is in the right with his 94 cobra pace car.

Other picture is the info from the back of the slip, the Stang has 450hp now.

Sadly I think all the newer slips and pictures got trashed when my father kicked/tripped over an oil pan when I was doing an oil change.

PS: 60FT time of 1.73 comes out to be 0-47mph in 1.73 seconds and it took a distance of 60ft to reach 47mph, that was in street trim.

As the car sits now it can do 57mph in 60ft in 1.43 seconds. Goal is to do 60mph in 60ft which should take 1.36 seconds.

NED06.jpg

Edited by Wayne S
I remember seeing a couple SMART cars passing me in the overtake lane on the M1 when I visited the UK in 2004 (I was in a 1.6L Ford Focus) and I was going at a pretty good clip myself. In that case, the problem is not so much getting one to go that fast. Rather it is what happens when one comes to a sudden stop. The things are so light that they bounce off what they hit. But recently, a friend of mine in the auto repair business inspected the remains of a SMART car after it got caught between two semi trucks. So when it impacted, it couldn't go anywhere. There was NOT much left of it.

Mine does about 90 in standard trim. Will hopefully find out what the Evil Twin tuning job does on it, and hope it alleviates a rather horrible flat spot between first and second when the gearbox is in auto mode. People sit up your jacksie due to the smallness of the things (like they do cyclists), so the jump catches the more unwary bullies.

Not too worried about stopping as I've ridden bikes half my life and the 'fold up and be crushed' thing balances against the 'lock the front and drop it at silly speed' terror. Just try and keep eyes open...

Did manage to humiliate a Japanese sports car with a full body kit recently, since, though the Smart finds speed bumps quite challenging, that was nothing to the tentative 2 mph tottering over the bumps and horrible grinding noises from the lower plastic. He disappeared into the past :rolleyes:

Patrick

Check it out Patrick....the Smart car is pretty fast........

That really isn't bad, sir SPARC. But I thought the only bike engine with a reverse gear was the OldWing's*? I suppose you stick your foot out and pedal...

Mr Bay, only 140? Can only assume you have the police magnet effect on Ferraris in the US, too?

Patrick

* And that's the starter motor (eek.)

That really isn't bad, sir SPARC. But I thought the only bike engine with a reverse gear was the OldWing's*? I suppose you stick your foot out and pedal...

Mr Bay, only 140? Can only assume you have the police magnet effect on Ferraris in the US, too?

Patrick

* And that's the starter motor (eek.)

Yup.....not sure about the reverse gear thing....my guess is you use the Smart Car Tranny with a custom made bellhousing. There is a company in the US called Hartley Enterprises that takes 2 Hayabusa engines......and mates them into a V-8 with a custom made engine block etc. Now that is a pretty hot little motor.....a bit expensive as well.

Hp is 250 for a non-turbo

Redline is 11,000

And it's a pretty looking motor as well.

Come on.....you know you want to. :rolleyes:

V-8 Hayabusa engine

105_assembled.jpg

Of course......if you want a really fast car.......take an Ultima chassis and drop 2 turbo charged nitrous Hayabusa engines and have each engine/tranny running a set of wheels making it AWD with 2 engines and two trannies......each producing 500hp.....that would be 1,000hp. The car weighs just 980 kilos, with a Power to weight ratio of 1020 bhp /tonne. Then you would have the makings of a pile of fun. No room for more than one kid at a time.......definately no room for the wife....she would only complain about the speed and noise......but kids like that sort of thing. :rolleyes:

http://www.tunersgroup.com/TunerWire_Live/zcars_ultima.html

http://www.tunersgroup.com/Videos/Z_cars_ultima.html

Add this to your bucket list......I dare ya'!!! :monkeydance:

gallery1202.jpg

Of course......if you want a really fast car.......take an Ultima chassis and drop 2 turbo charged nitrous Hayabusa engines and have each engine/tranny running a set of wheels making it AWD with 2 engines and two trannies......each producing 500hp.....that would be 1,000hp. The car weighs just 980 kilos, with a Power to weight ratio of 1020 bhp /tonne. Then you would have the makings of a pile of fun. No room for more than one kid at a time.......definately no room for the wife....she would only complain about the speed and noise......but kids like that sort of thing. :worship:

http://www.tunersgroup.com/TunerWire_Live/zcars_ultima.html

http://www.tunersgroup.com/Videos/Z_cars_ultima.html

Add this to your bucket list......I dare ya'!!! :wasntme:

gallery1202.jpg

my friend has one of those !! he's a race tuner and mechanic , except he built his with a masserati engine in it ( or for the uninitiated a ferrari enzo unit ! )

it is good to say a car like that has that horsepower and probable performance but what most forget is

physics will see that it is unlikely it can use it all

in unexperienced hands F1 cars are too much of a handfull because you have to be going fast before the aerodynamics make it weigh enough to get power down and corner well

whilst the ultima is very pretty ( and very light ) it has very little of the F1 cars aerodynamics to enable it to use that power to its potential

all a rolling road tells you is the power from a strapped down car in a wind and drag free environment

wich has very little to do with how it will actualy perform

the reason the veyron has the motor and untold cooling systems is because the laws of physics for power to speed

work on a logarithmic principle meaning the faster you go for each ten MPH step you need double etc power than it took for the Previous 10 MPH

Edited by tornado64

Yup...all that is true....but for a road car....it is the acceleration and not the top speed that interests me. If aerodynamics ever was an issue......it would mean I was driving quite a bit over the speed limit and risking losing my licence or losing my car or both.....not to mention a nasty big fine.

But the Ultima would be a cool car for dropping the kid off at school. :D