Bristol Beaufighter

hi

I have just bought a tamiya 1.48 beaufighter mk VI which i would like to build as a T.FX, as i understand it at the moment the only visible difference would be the lack of m/g's in the wings and the torpedo carrying capability,as i want to build it as a rocket carrying banff aircraft so im not worried about the torpedo side of things so its just the external differences im looking at.

cheers, chris

Pretty much identical, apart from the weapons as you already know. The only real differences are the weapons fit and engine fit and there are no external differences arising from these. The later X's were fitted with radar in a thimble nose housing and extended fin.

peebeep

Pretty much identical, apart from the weapons as you already know. The only real differences are the weapons fit and engine fit and there are no external differences arising from these. The later X's were fitted with radar in a thimble nose housing and extended fin.

peebeep

knew the engines were different to improve low level performance but im guessing this cant be modelled, so if i paint and mark up as a TF.X i should be ok

According to SAM Publications Modellers Datafile 6 on the Beaufighter comparing the Mk VIc and the Mk X:-

Mk X first production batch had an extra whip aeriel aft of the observers cupola.

Very early TF Xs had a gunner's cupola rather than an observers and lost the filters on the carburettor intakes and the DF loops. Some were fitted with a thimble radome.

Early TF Xs retained the gunners position (as did all TF Xs) but regained the filters and the DF loop.

Mid production aircraft came in 3 variants. All had the thimble radome and the extended dorsal fin. Variant 1 had NO filters and replaced the DF loop with a strike camera housing above the rear cockpit. Variant 2 had filters and the strike camera housing but replaced the rear wing lights with stem mounted wingtip lights. Variant 3 was a target tug with jump wires guarding the empennage and deletion of all armament, cameras and radar.

Late production Mk Xs replaced the large port wing light with a smaller oval one. Some had spinners fitted

Final production Mk Xs used the Mk XI wings which reintroduced the wing MGs.

By definition all TF Xs were capable of being armed with a torpedo so while the shackles and releasing gear would not have been fitted in rocket using sqns the removable panels which would have allowed such fitting would be. I can see no differences in the panel lines comparing plans of a TF X and a VIc Torbeau but I have no plans of a standard VIc or VIf available so cannot say if there are any differences there.

Hope this helps.