I have never seen a cheap knock-off perform as well as the original, and that applies to any product. For a serious modeler on a budget, the $73 Iwata Revolution BR with a 0.3mm nozzle is all he/she needs for fine line, freehand camouflage, and large coverage. Again, 99% of the time, you get what you pay for.

I think the term"serious modeler" is the key here. Someone who has a significant investment in the hobby is more likely to go for a genuine Iwata or other major brand. It looks to me like Iwata sees an opportunity to cash in on entry level hobbyists, who have been buying brushes like Master or Harbor Freight, by putting their name on a Chinese brush, hence the name Neo. I don't think they intend it to be as good as the genuine article, but good enough to do a decent job, hoping that the buyer will eventually upgrade to a real Iwata. It's a way of getting more exposure for their brand. I don't think they expect it to hurt sales of their main product line.

Don

So what's the verdict on the NEO? Yeah or Neah? Are you guys happy with them?

I have never seen a cheap knock-off perform as well as the original, and that applies to any product. For a serious modeler on a budget, the $73 Iwata Revolution BR with a 0.3mm nozzle is all he/she needs for fine line, freehand camouflage, and large coverage. Again, 99% of the time, you get what you pay for.

The only other clone I heard that works pretty good is the DH-103 from Sparmax, but the average price is close to $100 so it's not really budget friendly and parts are not readily available in the States. I still think the Iwata Revolutions are the best bang for the buck eventhough I like the feel and balance of the HP-CS better. Good equipment is important, but an airbrush is only as good as the user's capability. I say spend a little extra if you can and get a Revolution. Here's my test sheet using the CR I converted to 0.30mm. I could have just picked up the BR, but I prefer a larger cup.

HP-CR_2.jpg

Edited by Cyrus Tan
With the Iwata, Harder & Steenbeck or similar design, you can cover a wide range of line width by controlling the trigger. You can use any nozzle from 0.2 mm to 0.5 mm which will all work well for general modeling tasks. It does not have the inconvenience of the Aztek to change nozzle size in normal painting. They still offer different nozzle sizes for extrmem situations if you want to change paint type for different applications.

For painting really fine lines, you may want to get an airbrush with a preset handle. The Neo does not have it. You can buy an optional (about $25 extra) preset handle for the Iwata Eclipse. The H&S Infinity, Evolution Silverline and Paasche Talon has the pre-set handle included.

I don't think that you can take the Aztek apart to clean without voiding the warranty. The other metallic airbrushes are designed to allow thorough cleaning without damaging the brush. Of cource, you need to do it with care.

I haven't used the other two, but I really like the Paasche Talon. I have always used the Paasche H (single action), and decided to get a Paasche Talon. Within 15 minutes, I was amazed at what I could do with the Talon. I am sure that there are better gravity feed, internal mix airbrushes, but like I said, I have never used anything but a Paasche airbrush. I really like the pre-set handle. It's also easy to clean, once you get used to cleaning it. It's not like cleaning the H, but it still cleans up and goes back together with ease, after getting used to cleaning it.

Edited by balls47

Good work guys. I did some comparison work myself and found this to be a little different animal then the other brushes. It has some things I like, such as the air line valve capable of being changed out if it goes bad. The detachable color cup is also a nice idea, allowing me to get deeper into the brush with a Q-tip for cleaning without having to open it up. I think for my uses at this time, it will do the job. If I need to upgrade later, I will.

I consider myself a "serious" modeler, but that term can be applied somewhat broadly. Maybe a more correct term would be serious airbrush modeler/artist as I've seen some things done with airbrushes that I could never hope to do at my current level of experience. But at the same time, I know I don't need to necessarily take it quite to that level to enjoy my hobby and have a certain level of success at contests.

I consider myself a "serious" modeler, but that term can be applied somewhat broadly. Maybe a more correct term would be serious airbrush modeler/artist as I've seen some things done with airbrushes that I could never hope to do at my current level of experience. But at the same time, I know I don't need to necessarily take it quite to that level to enjoy my hobby and have a certain level of success at contests.

I didn't mean to slight anyone with my serious modeler remark. That's why I used the phrase "more likely". I know there are modelers doing beautiful work with simple external mix brushes, and I would certainly call them serious.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to buy an airbrush too.

They do have that model (Neo) in stock at the Hobby Lobby in my town.

what is verdict? Should I go for it or the other model they carry which is an Iwata eclipse?

Thanks

Vivek

I am looking to buy an airbrush too.

They do have that model (Neo) in stock at the Hobby Lobby in my town.

what is verdict? Should I go for it or the other model they carry which is an Iwata eclipse?

Thanks

Vivek

If you plan to use the airbrush for modeling task in the long run, get the Eclipse.

I have had the Eclipse for about 2 years and am very happy with it as my main modeling airbrush.

I bought the Neo, but have not put it to actual use yet. It feels good in my hand and the control seems to be adequate. But the parts do not show the type of quality that the Eclipse uses. The Neo will be a good beginner's choice when the user is no certain about his/her long term interest in modeling.

• 1 month later...
If you plan to use the airbrush for modeling task in the long run, get the Eclipse.

I have had the Eclipse for about 2 years and am very happy with it as my main modeling airbrush.

I bought the Neo, but have not put it to actual use yet. It feels good in my hand and the control seems to be adequate. But the parts do not show the type of quality that the Eclipse uses. The Neo will be a good beginner's choice when the user is no certain about his/her long term interest in modeling.

Just wanting to know if there was any other feedback on the NEO? Though I am probably going to go with a Revolution or Eclipse I am still getting pulled toward the NEO especially with that 40% coupon!

Just wanting to know if there was any other feedback on the NEO? Though I am probably going to go with a Revolution or Eclipse I am still getting pulled toward the NEO especially with that 40% coupon!

Don't let the bargain price and the box stamped "Iwata" fool you. The NEO is not a genuine Iwata and is very misleading. You're much better off with the Revolution or Eclipse IMHO. Just keep in mind - you get what you pay for.

• 2 months later...
Don't let the bargain price and the box stamped "Iwata" fool you. The NEO is not a genuine Iwata and is very misleading. You're much better off with the Revolution or Eclipse IMHO. Just keep in mind - you get what you pay for.

i got that AIR BRUSH and i took it back to hobylobby. first of all had to crank the PSI up to get it to blow paint. then when it did it bubbled blopped paint out..

after it got going smooth it would not paint small thin lines. and it would stop and start. it would not work right to me. so i took it back and explained to the manager how it was, he got a attitude and said that was not grounds to return something. i was like YES, so after a short arugument i got my refund for 65$.

i bought a Iwata HP-CR Revolution got that AB in, tryed it out OMG nice fine smooth lines no stopping and starting amazing.

neo by Iwata 2 in my book. for huge spray jobs like RC bodys big areas it would be ok i guess.

The Iwata Revolution BR (and CR) are very good quality airbrushes and are not that much more expensive than the NEO, I can't see why anybody would get the NEO just to save a few dollars when you can get a real Iwata and not have to worry about getting quality replacement parts.

I have been using my Iwata Revolution BR for over a year now and so far it can do anything my other more expensive airbrushes can do and is now my favorite for painting models. The only trouble I ever had with the BR was my fault for losing the spray nozzle during cleaning at the end of the day, five days later I had the replacement delivered to my home.

Matrixone

The Iwata Revolution BR (and CR) are very good quality airbrushes and are not that much more expensive than the NEO, I can't see why anybody would get the NEO just to save a few dollars when you can get a real Iwata and not have to worry about getting quality replacement parts.

I have been using my Iwata Revolution BR for over a year now and so far it can do anything my other more expensive airbrushes can do and is now my favorite for painting models. The only trouble I ever had with the BR was my fault for losing the spray nozzle during cleaning at the end of the day, five days later I had the replacement delivered to my home.

Matrixone

Where do you get your Iwata replacement parts from? I may need some parts for my Revolution CR.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

The only replacement part for an Iwata airbrush that I needed was a spray nozzle which I lost during clean up, I ordered my replacement nozzle from Dixie Arts the very same place where I bought all my Iwata airbrushes. Sorry I don't have a link.

Matrixone

Where do you get your Iwata replacement parts from?

I get mine from Hobby Lobby, but they only stock Iwata parts for the Eclipse series (HP-BS, HP-CS). It is cheap. The problem of order spares on the internet is that the shipping can cost 2-3 time more than the part itself.

I may need some parts for my Revolution CR.

Thanks,

Rob

The Iwata Revolution series is not as popular in US. You can order parts from the Iwata Gold Crown Dealers.

• 1 month later...

i give products a try before talking smack about them and honestly this brush isn't that bad. i got one for cheap so, im not complaining. if you haven't tried it then don't say anything.

Do you have some painting samples to show "Don Wheeler" style? It would be very helpful to others.

I bought the airbrush awhile back, but have not tested it out very well yet. The trigger is smooth and the atomization looks good. Below are some pictures I took after taking it apart. There is no question that the Neo for Iwata is a higher quality product than most Iwata knock-offs.

5407146809_4a6a5560a6.jpg

5407147311_8d593523da.jpg

However, when you compare its needle to a real Iwata, the springiness is not there. The Neo needle feels more like that of the knock-offs.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to drag the Neo topic up again but I wonder if there is an update on this AB.

I saw one at my LHS last weekend and was impressed by it's look. Big question, does it spray as well as it looks?

Rob

Well, I've been using mine on a couple model projects of late. Back in October, my Aztek 470 seemed to have a seal problem, so I decided to pull a Neo I bought about a year before out of storage to see how well it would work. For my compressor, I use an Iwata Smartjet.

Initially I had some difficulty with the spring load on the trigger pull as it felt a bit clunky. But I figured out how to back the tension off and it feels better now like most every other double action brush I've tried. I have sprayed acrylics (Tamiya and Testors thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinner) and enamels (Testors and Floquil) through it. It seems to spray fine on the higher pressure settings. On lower pressure it works well too as I can usually dial it down to about 15 PSI for some nice up close mist painting in tight spaces. Any lower than 15 and I tend to get more splatter effects, but it should work fine with inks I would imagine. Only thing I do NOT recommend spraying through it is Mister Surfacer as that stuff is kind of thick. Now if the brush were retrofitted to carry the larger bore needle and tip from the Neo BCN (the bottle version), maybe it would work better. But I would recommend a cheaper brush for Mr. Surfacer 500 unless you have a really good thinning technique. Same thing goes for spraying on clears, such as Microflat. That stuff can be sprayed, but paint buildup likes to clog the tip. So I use an old Paasche H series brush to spray on my clears and keep the Iwata for just painting.

I've not tried to spray pencil thin lines with it. I think it can do that, but it comes down to being more of a practice of the technique than the brush itself. Admittedly though, the best guys who I know can do that tend to use the Iwata Revolution or Eclipse brand brushes, and they have access to more needles and tips to custom dial in the setting they desire. As such, I don't know if I'll be able to freehand camouflage with my brush. I think I can do it, but using poster putty snakes does the job for me just fine for a slightly feathered edge I've never been able to achieve otherwise.

Only problem I had with it was during my first cleaning (after attempting to spray Mr. Surfacer through it), after I took the needle out and got the main nozzle off, I dropped the brush and mushroomed the tip. After I had a new tip installed though, it was fine and I exercise more care and delicateness when I disassemble the thing for cleaning. Most of the time I can spray straight thinner through it and that cleans it enough for the next pass (using Q-tips to help remove paint residue from the cup).

I would say the biggest key for buying the Neo, or for ANY airbrush for that matter is making sure you can get parts. The brush itself has no parts listing, but you can download a PDF direct from Iwata's site (which I recommend doing and printing it off). So while the shop you see it at may have a good deal, make sure they have parts on hand for it (needles AND tips) as it is always a good idea to know you can get a couple spare parts on the same day if you need to.

In a nutshell, yes it seems to spray as well as it looks. I would say it won't be a direct replacement for a higher dollar brush, but I think its vices can be overcome if you are operating more on a budget. And if you've never owned a higher dollar brush, you will likely never notice what you are missing.