This was an idea I came up w/ the other day, when I pulled these figures out and started working on them, and realized they would fit into this theme.

Figures are Verlinden 1/35 scale Desert Shield/Storm era figures. The Humvee is Italeri's M998 Desert Patrol Hmmwv.

Roadblock_01.jpg

Not sure what else I'll work into the scene, but these are the main parts. One figure is standing w/ his hand out, so I'm going to have him at the edge of the scene, like he's signaling to an oncoming vehicle that's out of the scene. I'm also planning on scratch building some concrete barriers out of high density foam or something similar and then going from there.

This is going to be my first attempt at figures and a vingette/diorama, so its gonna be interesting.

Adam,

As you say this will be an interestiing build and vignette.

I am attemptinng my first one in 1:72, although the builds will be seperate. I am also looking to make a few Humvees and any info you can give on markings and camo would help a great deal as the kits I have got don't come supplied for 'Desert Storm'.

Any updates by the way mate?

Deacon

Ive spent the week working on the Hummer. I pulled a muscle in my back Monday morning, so its really slowed down my modeling capabilities for a few days.

I did decide to change the kit Im using. The kit shown in the picture above apparently was a prototype version that never went into production. So now Im using Italeri's Commando Humvee kit. But Im thinking about making a slight change, and instead of putting hte ragtop on it, leaving the top & doors off of it, but Im not sure if Im going to do that or not. I have most of the body assembled, and part of the frame & drivetrain assembled.

I also have 2 of the 3 figures at least partially assembled, but since this is my first real go at figures, they are going to be slow going. Once I have them assembled, Im going to prime them and then work on filling seams & such. I'll post pic's tomorrow afternoon hopefully of the hummer assembled but unpainted.

One thing Im thinking about, is possibly changing the hummer again. I'd really like to have a hummer that has a 50 caliber on the top. I think that would be something that would be pretty common at roadblocks, and I think it would look better than just a plain jane type hummer. I just have to figure out how to pay for the kit. I thought about taking the gun from the Desert Patrol hummer, and making it work on the one Im using, but Im not sure how it would look. I dunno, I still have quite a ways to go, and a lot to decide still.

Edited by Adam Baker
  • 2 months later...

I thought that I'd post up what little progress Ive been able to make on this one.

Almost have the figures done being assembled. Now its time to prime them so I can figure out where all I need to try cleaning things up. Hopefully the priming will happen this week, but a lot depends on how the weather goes over the next couple of days.

Sorry for the less than stellar pic.

Roadblock_02.jpg

Im questioning whether Im going to use the Humvee like I originally planned. Im really not happy w/ either of the Italeri Humvee kits that I have. What I'd really like to find, is a standard Humvee w/ a .50 cal machine gun, which is something I think would be perfect for a road block. For the concrete barrier Im going to use expanded foam that I will cut to shape, and then cover with wall putty. I will then sand them smooth and then add the various things you'd see on a concrete barrier.

I was really hoping to be much farther along w/ this dio by now, if not done completely. But Ive had a very difficult time over the last few months getting motivated to model at all. I have a couple of builds that Im working on that have really turned into a major chore and its sapped a lot of the enjoyment out of my building, but Ive moved past some of the issues I was having w/ those builds, so its helped make me more motivated to build.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, unfortunately Ive come ot the realization that I will not complete either of the builds I set out to do for this GB.

Prior to Christmas, I just wasnt motivated to do any building, and since Christmas, between being too stressed to feel like building, and spending 3 weeks out of town on business since the last week of January, I havent had the time to do any building.

Congrat's to everyone who was able to finish a builds, lots of excellent models have been put out.