Painting Propellers

Following what the others have said, I prime the prop (usually while still on the sprue) with Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer. Then I spray the yellow tips, mask them off, and airbrush the black. General rule of thumb; light colors first, followed by each successive darker color. (Note that there are exceptions to every rule.)

cheers

Old Blind Dog

you dont mention scale, but if you are buiding 1/72, trying to mask the tip can be troublesome. Considering the yellow stripe was only 4" wide, I usually just paint the prop and then use a brush to paint the yellow. If I decide to spray paint the tip, I will almost alays mask the prop itself leaving the tip exposed. While this runs counter to the 'light color first' idea, it turns out to be much easier as far as masking is concerned.

In larger scales, masking the tip becomes progressively easier.

you dont mention scale, but if you are buiding 1/72, trying to mask the tip can be troublesome. Considering the yellow stripe was only 4" wide, I usually just paint the prop and then use a brush to paint the yellow. If I decide to spray paint the tip, I will almost alays mask the prop itself leaving the tip exposed. While this runs counter to the 'light color first' idea, it turns out to be much easier as far as masking is concerned.

In larger scales, masking the tip becomes progressively easier.

For 1/72, I don't even mask. I bush on some white, then yellow on that for the tips. Then I brush-paint the black without masking the yellow. As Chuck said, masking in 1/72 is very difficult. With care, I've gotten it to work just fine.

mauler4.jpg

:cheers:

Mike

Putting way too much dependency on airbrush and masking. I use a plain brush and do mine and have never had any problems. and I quite frequently paint the entire prop black then paint tip after the black has dried for at least 2 days.

Frank

ATL

I'm in the tips first camp.

1) spray tips white.

2) spray tips yellow.

3) For a 4" yellow stripe, I cut some masking tape .060 inches wide, that's 1.5 mm. I use a dial caliper to measure the width. I cut the strip into pieces a little wider than the prop. If you don't have a dial or digital caliper, go get one. It's only about 20 bucks for a digital one, I use mine just about every day.

4) Place a piece of tape on the prop tip so it's just even with the very edge of the tip. That's the 4" yellow band. Match up a piece of tape on the backside. Put another around the prop tip to cover the little bit left peeping out.

5) Spray the black.

6) Pull off the tape and, viola, a beautiful prop!

ps, I know it's voilà

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
Putting way too much dependency on airbrush and masking. I use a plain brush and do mine and have never had any problems. and I quite frequently paint the entire prop black then paint tip after the black has dried for at least 2 days.

Frank

ATL

Very much agreed!!! I paint the whole blade black, wait for it to dry, usually an hour or so. Then use a flat tipped brush dipped in yellow then use the little raised "panel line" that's on most props as a guide for the yellow tip. Done. I dont have half the skills some of you have and this an easy thing to do.

Do it the easy way...paint prop whatever colour necessary...clear coat...add yellow decal to the tips...when dry use 400 grit sandpaper and lightly remove excess decal.

Far better than masking , painting, cleaning airbrush, making big smell, use of bad language when paint runs...you get the idea.

Barney

I don't even use the white stage! Black then mask (which takes less than 2 minutes), flat yellow.

Yeah, but your yellow is not true yellow and takes multiple coats to cover. Been there and done that. The wise use white underneath.

Agreed larry!!!! It's not rocket science here, just a tiny yellow tip. Digital calipers and 3 coats of paint?! :monkeydance:

That 47 looks nice, got more pics?

Yea, here's a few more of it. This is the plane I used in the "How to Build a Model Airplane" manual (It's pinned in at the top of the General Discussion board here. For the most part it's an OOB build.

008.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

292.jpg