Navy 100 year paint list

TC-12 ...

web_101213-N-2728S-001.jpg

101213-N-2728S-001 CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (Dec. 13, 2010) The Centennial of Naval Aviation Commemorative TC-12 arrives at Training Squadron (VT) 35, assigned to Training Air Wing 4. The paint scheme reflects aircraft that participated in the Battle of Coral Sea. After an acceptance inspection the aircraft will be ready to conduct training events and logistical runs. (U.S. Navy photo by Richard Stewart/Released)

>>> Hi Res <<<

Gregg

• 1 month later...
You sure you're not thinking of the white top with gull gray bottoms? I believe that there may be a few P-3s or EP-3s still around with gull gray. That scheme followed the white/seaplane gray scheme. Seaplane gray is pretty dark, I think the shade is the same as engine gray (36081?).

P-3's were pretty much all converted to TPS from white over LGG during the 80's. In the late 90's, they were all painted back to overall Gull Gray, which is how they are now.

The Blues should paint one of their aircraft in the Beetle Bomb scheme, overall yellow with blue markings.

THAT would be neat!!!!

Daniel

Painting the solos in overall yellow with blue trim would look pretty good, I think.

in-progress of a P-3, from their Facebook page

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...4_3776765_n.jpg

For all the fans of Maritime Patrol, our first Centenial P-3 is moving right along. THe second one went to paint today too. The color you see here is Seaplane Gray, the color the first P-3s wore. (rd)
We haven't forgotten the Maritime Patrol community in the Heritage Paint Project. This is the first of three P-3s. White on top, seaplane gray on the bottom. (rd)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc...9_5477818_n.jpg

Edited by Ken Middleton

Nice links, Ken, Thanks ! :thumbsup:

As for the Blues, I don't recall them doing anything special for their own 50th Anniversary on the aircraft nor, for that matter for the 75th Anniversary of Naval Aviation ...

They should at least put the Official Logo on their ...

Gregg

Nice links, Ken, Thanks ! :worship:

As for the Blues, I don't recall them doing anything special for their own 50th Anniversary on the aircraft nor, for that matter for the 75th Anniversary of Naval Aviation ...

They should at least put the Official Logo on their ...

Gregg

I agree Gregg

But, considering that they didn't make a big deal over their own birthday, I won't expect anything

Just came from my local IPMS chapter meeting here in San Diego. The topic for the night was the Centennial paint schemes. A club member, an active duty navy officer, is in charge of the whole project. We saw photos of all of the completed aircraft, there are 4 still not done. All were cool but for me it was the 1960's China Lake A-4 Skyhawk scheme that blew me away. I hasn't left the paint shop yet but the in-process shots were way cool. Gull grey, white and dayglow orange. Wow!

We got a run down on the entire celebration, sounds like quite a show. If I remember correctly there will be over 180 aircraft on display or doing flybys. The finale will be a 45 plane flyby from a current naval airwing.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

From Facebook:

"F/A-18C, BuNo 165210 assigned to VX-31 at NAS China Lake. Aircraft represents test schemes used by aircraft at China Lake in the 1960s."

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...8_8316957_n.jpg

"Significant progress on our VFC-12 Hornet. We're painting her in the colors of the VF-12 - USS Randolph Air Group circa 1945. One pilot assigned to VF-12 was Hamilton "Mac" McWhorter, the U.S. Navy's first Hellcat ace. (rd)."

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...6_4752488_n.jpg