If it's bottom-fed (suction) you need a certain amount of pressure just to get the paint through the brush as well as wastage if the siphon tube

does not go all the way to the bottom of the jar. With Gravity-fed you can use lower pressure which usually yields finer lines when used

in conjunction with working closer to the subject and thinner paint. Plus you can use less paint because there's none wasted in the

bottom of the bottle.

Apart from the siphon vs gravity thing there is single-action versus dual-action. Dual-action gives more control and some Badger dual action

brushes have set-screws built into the trigger that essentially convert it to single-action.

I prefer gravity-fed, double-action but I have a single-action, siphon-fed brush that works better with

wide coverage (gloss, matt coats) and some brands of metallic paints.

:thumbsup:

Edited by ThatJeffGuy

I just reread Don's page and I have to agree with most of what is there.

I have a siphon fed Badger 175 and it worked and works great. But I wanted to be able to do more precise work, and I opted to buy a gravity fed Harder and Steenbeck Infinity duo, rather then to go for a finer needle for the Badger. The infinity is very nice piece of equipment and it works great. Also, the cup is removable, making cleaning even easier, and there's a bigger cup in the box, so that is also an advantage. To be honest, I haven't used the Badger since I've had the Infinity. The advantage with the Duo version, is that there are two needles, so I can use the brush for fine work and for larger surfaces as well. If you're building big models, the ability to use a bottle with a siphon fed brush might be an advantage though.

I just reread Don's page and I have to agree with most of what is there.

I have a siphon fed Badger 175 and it worked and works great. But I wanted to be able to do more precise work, and I opted to buy a gravity fed Harder and Steenbeck Infinity duo, rather then to go for a finer needle for the Badger. The infinity is very nice piece of equipment and it works great. Also, the cup is removable, making cleaning even easier, and there's a bigger cup in the box, so that is also an advantage. To be honest, I haven't used the Badger since I've had the Infinity. The advantage with the Duo version, is that there are two needles, so I can use the brush for fine work and for larger surfaces as well. If you're building big models, the ability to use a bottle with a siphon fed brush might be an advantage though.

I have a H&S Evolution Silverline Solo and found that to be a much higher quality made in handling (precision in control) and in finish (easier to clean).

In Belgium, the decision is easy becasue the Infinity costs about the same as the Badger Renegade.

In the US, H&S costs three times more than the Badger. Is it worth it? I think so, but the buyer has to check it out and decide himself.

As has been said, gravity fed brushes are generally capable of finer work thanks to the lower air pressure that they are capable of operating at - the air is only use to propel the paint from the tip of the brush in a gravity fed model, whereas in a bottom feed brush it is also used to suck the paint from the jar into the brush.

If you plan to do plenty of small detail work, the gravity is also a better option as less paint is required to initially get going, as there is no "pipework" in the paint path to fill first.

As for side feed brushes, they are a half way house between gravity & siphon - when in siphon "mode" they are little different to any other siphon airbrush & when they are in gravity "mode", the offer the gravity's air pressure benefits but not its ease of cleaning. An unusual trait of side fed brushes is that they can be used in any orientation, such as vertically or upside down, although how much benefit this may be is questionable.

We sell predominantly to the modelling & craft markets & although we do shift some siphon & side feed brushes, the vast majority of customers seem to be looking for gravity airbrushes.

Hey There, I started with a Paasche H and it works great for modeling. When Paasche came out with their Talon (gravity feed), I decided to take the plunge and get one. Paasche parts are readily available, and I decided to stick with the same manufacturer. Once I got that Talon in my hands, I was amazed at what I could do after 15 minutes of "playing" with the thing. I still use the H a lot, but the Talon is great. Get on the web and check out reviews of different airbrushes. As you have been told, previously, Don Wheeler has a great website on airbrushing and airbrushes. Good Luck.

Thank you for all the feedback and advice. I have a Badger 150 and it seems like I have had it forever, the only airbrush I have ever owned. Right now I am starting to get into German WWII 1/48 props so I thought it was time to get a new airbrush for painting the german camo. I think I have decided to get the Badger Renegade Velocity gravity feed.

I think I have decided to get the Badger Renegade Velocity gravity feed.

Spitfire88,

If you can hold out just a bit longer, Badger is releasing the Renegade Krome that's currently in production and should be out soon. See this thread. This was 1 of 4 prototypes I received from Badger to help improve the standard Velocity. There are a couple of changes not pictured on my sample that will be included on the production version. A cut-away handle and a micrometer.

Edited by Cyrus Tan
Any idea how much longer? Have a little cash burning a hole in my pocket and don't know how long I can hold out. If it's too long I'm going to end up with an HP-C.

Or the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2-in-1. I like the H&S quality in manufacturing and material. The spare parts cost a little more, but it may be worth it if you need it a lot less frequent.

Any idea how much longer? Have a little cash burning a hole in my pocket and don't know how long I can hold out. If it's too long I'm going to end up with an HP-C.
Or the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2-in-1. I like the H&S quality in manufacturing and material. The spare parts cost a little more, but it may be worth it if you need it a lot less frequent.

Those guns are great too, I own both. The odd thing about the Velocity is that it has a 0.21mm tip, but I was able to spray as fine of a line as the Infinity with the 0.15mm setup.

Ken just got back from the UK on business and will contact me next week. Last we spoke, the plan was before X-mas so anytime now though I haven't received my production sample yet. :thumbsup: Maybe it's sitting at his desk? I'll let you know when I hear back from him. Btw, I believe MiddTenn Hobbies will be the first to carry them.

Edited by Cyrus Tan