48th scale convert

Hey ARC This is my first post!! I have been building 1/72 scale models (prodominantly US Navy aircraft - F-14s, F/A-18s etc) all my life and am keen to tackle my first 1/48. Any ideas on what would be a good 48th starter kit??? appreciate your input. cheers!

Very expensive, your Tamiya F-16. If you want something interesting, naval and Tamiya, I recommend their F4D-1. It's out of production but easy enough to find and it's less than half the price.

Very expensive, your Tamiya F-16.

Not really. Compare it to, say, anything by Trumpeter. Pound for pound it's a steal, and light years better than anything they've put out. The F4D is a nice kit though.

J

The Revell F-15E. Extremely good quality, very good fit and detail. Very good price (at least in the U.S., don't know about NZ prices of kits) as it can be had for under 15 bucks. A half to a third of the price of a Tamiya Viper (again, here in the U.S.). Many would say that dollar for dollar, that is a better deal than the Tamiya Viper (dollars vs. how good a kit you get). Now, my second choice (and first choice if price were no object) is indeed the Tamiya Viper, and I would get the Aggressor/Adversary kit as it has all the options you need and would allow you to do the N, as you like Navy stuff.

If you want something interesting, naval and Tamiya, I recommend their F4D-1. It's out of production but easy enough to find and it's less than half the price.

I second the Ford nomination. It's a great kit of an interesting subject:

F4D_b.jpg

If you're feeling bold and enjoy using profanity then try a Hobbycraft F7U Cutlass or a Grand Phoenix F3H Demon:

F7U_a.jpg

f3h_1.jpg

I second the Ford nomination. It's a great kit of an interesting subject:

If you're feeling bold and enjoy using profanity then try a Hobbycraft F7U Cutlass or a Grand Phoenix F3H Demon:

WOW, those are truly gems, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup::whistle:

Its about time you made your first post Aaron!

Haha thats right - think I might have to line up a A-4 to start my 1/48 journey (maybe in the RNZAF scheme??, although I will find it difficult to stray from my US Navy trend :cheers:)... then the Skyray, Falcon, Strike Eagle etc etc!! I am gonna have heaps of questions to ask you kind folk on ARC.

Haha thats right - think I might have to line up a A-4 to start my 1/48 journey (maybe in the RNZAF scheme??, although I will find it difficult to stray from my US Navy trend :cheers:)...

Well, you will be glad to hear that I just ordered that Prowler and the decals with the Darth Vader scheme...

Well, you will be glad to hear that I just ordered that Prowler and the decals with the Darth Vader scheme...

Nice one! Can't wait to see what your Prowler turns out like - those markings are pretty sweet! You going with the aftermarket pit? ps I tried out that oil wash in the weekend - its a bit heavy in black but getting the hang of it. Might need your assistance to make sure I have all the paint/turps ratios nailed.