Airfix 1/24 mosquito

• 2 weeks later...

This may be entirely my opinion, and could be incorrect, but to be honest, I did not find the 1/32 scale built mosquito in my LHS all that attractive of an airplane. Perhaps the scale was off or the modeler was not that good yet, i guess Ill have to check the gallery of skilled modelers to see what I think.

Paragon does a load of stuff for the Airfix Mossie like

New mainwheels to replace the kits rubber ones

New accurate exhausts and inner shrouds

New U/C doors and hinges

100gal underwing long range tanks

Lower ID lights

.303 ammo shutes

There is more I am sure but just cant think of it just now.

A guy on LSP does a nice set of light lenses/bulbs for the underwing and to fit the paragon belly ID lights (he posts as David 66) they are really effective. I just fitted a set to my underwings today.....very cool.

Radu (also on LSP) does an awesome set of harnesses for the kit

Cammet also do an etch set for the carb intake mesh as well as all the fasteners around the engine cowls.

Master do a set of amazing .303's for the nose and have just released a set of amazing 20mm cannon barrells with recoil springs.

After all that, there are still things we need like, longer single stage tropical intakes, fuel cooler, a nice new crew entry and bomb bay/cannon doors. Oh and a 'Monica' fairing for the lower tailcone....some new cockpit bits would be nice as well.....Neil???

I know I know, I can make them myself, but I am sure there is a market for them.

Superjew, was the one you saw 1/32 or 1/24? I have seen a 1/24 one made up and OOB it looked amazing and accurate shapewise. Having said that, my fuse seems to have a slight'hump' on the top about where the dinghy hatch is. But nothing that cant be easily fixed with a file.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ
This may be entirely my opinion, and could be incorrect, but to be honest, I did not find the 1/32 scale built mosquito in my LHS all that attractive of an airplane. Perhaps the scale was off or the modeler was not that good yet, i guess Ill have to check the gallery of skilled modelers to see what I think.

I think that if the modeller managed to make a 1/32 model of a Mossie out of the 1/24 Airfix kit you should cut him some slack...

Shane

I think its a simple matter of opinion. It was 1/32, but he had no weathering and it just looked kinda plain jane to me. No washes, no exhaust stain, nothing to make it really stick out, it almost looked like a fresh off the assembly line Mosquito, outside of the heavy coating of dust layering it.

On the other hand, as far as twin engined planes go, Im a P-38 man, I love D-Day stripes and I love twin booms.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually enjoying the kit and experimenting with it. I recently aquired some humbrol metal polish paint( Gun Metal and Bare Metal.... Not airbrushing but hand paint then polish..) and have been useing that one the detail of the engine... im pretty happy with the results... what im trying to achieve is .... im doing the non metal parts if your will in tamiya flat aluminium, and the metal parts undet the wing , the engine cowls and a few other bits bare metal silver, it is making a nice difference and once again happy with the results. I have the fuse together and cockpit in with a few bits to touch up and what not...the wings together and one engine nacelle and engine/undercarriage togther, me being my own worst critic ... I feel Ive rushed it and not applied enough detail so I have halted and worked on something else. I reckon that for what it is? Its a Beautiful thing, two nice engines and a timber airframe, sleek design and just.... wow!!!..... going to have to get the better engined aircraft tho'..... the fokke wolf 190..... love the howl of a german engine , the straight cut gears.