??? What just happened?

Tis no use, I have to ask. What's happened to that latest thread about the royal weeding? Last I looked - all of three hours ago - it seemed to be very decent and restrained.

Same question about the thread from a couple of days ago addressing the N Korean artillery strike. I saw nothing that was out-of-bounds when I read it in the AM, later that day, it was gone.

Even if there was, just eliminate the offending post(s), don't delete the entire thread.

Seems the mods are getting a bit heavy-handed.

The same thing happened with the thread about the USAF tanker program after it was announced that proprietary info was released to both bidders. I made a comment to the OP and within a few hours the thread had disappeared. Not even sure what transpired there.

Didn't see the weeding thread, but I can assume that it degenerated into politics and it violated the no politics rule of this forum. The Korean thread was certainly political, and although I didn't see it, I can't see the tanker thread not being political.

This forum clearly states NO POLITICS (see the title). Just because people talk about political topics in a calm manner doesn't mean that they aren't violating the rules that this board has choosen to have. No politics means no politics, period, not some politics is OK if it's done in a calm manner or has a certain viewpoint.

I do agree with the no politics rule. But wasn't the Korean thread more of a "World news" thread than a political thread? At least that was my take on it. I didn't catch the end of the thread so I don't know if it went political or not towards the end.

I don't mean to stir up any trouble....just curious.

Didn't see the weeding thread, but I can assume that it degenerated into politics and it violated the no politics rule of this forum. The Korean thread was certainly political, and although I didn't see it, I can't see the tanker thread not being political.

This forum clearly states NO POLITICS (see the title). Just because people talk about political topics in a calm manner doesn't mean that they aren't violating the rules that this board has choosen to have. No politics means no politics, period, not some politics is OK if it's done in a calm manner or has a certain viewpoint.

So any discussion on world current events is off limits? Let's get rid of the F-35 thread and half the other threads on this forum then. Get rid of the thread on the latest Medal of Honor winner, there are definately politics there as well. I saw nothing in the thread on the Royal wedding that was "political" unless of course any discussion of world leaders is considered political and is now forbidden.

Whatever happened to just deleting the offending post(s)? There was some good discussion on the Tanker thread and the others, seems heavy-handed to delete an entire thread.

Maybe we should just play it safe and restrict any threads on this forum to one's computers, pets or social problems.

Whatever... the people that run the site can do as they please, just my $0.02.

Hey, it's like TV or radio. If you don't like it, change the station. No one is forcing anyone to be here. There's tons of sites out there that discuss daily world news and politics.

In some folks' defense, I'm not certain many U.S.ian Americans were aware that it was at all a contentious topic. In America, the British Royal Family is looked upon by many as a harmless historic curiosity, so it does not occur to us that people in Britain may have strong feelings about the subject, and may even become irritated at what Americans think is merely light-hearted humor.

This occasionally happens in other directions, too, where somewhat from, say, Europe or Asia asks about something dealing with the U.S., and it starts an ugly fight among U.S.ians. On an international forum, where we don't all have the time to read each others' domestic news, these kinds of gaffs are bound to happen. No offense intended, folks.

11B add this to the PM I sent ya.......since he question apparently asked what the reaction in the region would be....I think that made it just a bit political and we all know that politics are "verboten hier mein freund" . It's OK with me and probably better that they did. I just hate that some turn any subject like that into a political sounding board.

11B add this to the PM I sent ya.......since he question apparently asked what the reaction in the region would be....I think that made it just a bit political and we all know that politics are "verboten hier mein freund" . It's OK with me and probably better that they did. I just hate that some turn any subject like that into a political sounding board.

And that's just what the problem is. I used to be a moderator on quite a large forum in the days when the internet was powered by steam, and it was the same thing. Close it down from the first sign of political talk, or it gets out of control every time,because some people see politics behind every phrase.

And without wanting to offend anyone, but it was in those days that I learned a lot of US citizens are extremely easy to offend.

Either that or I'm very hard to offend :jaw-dropping:

We used to remove offensive/political posts, and put the offenders on moderator screening. Removing a whole thread seems hard on all the other people.

If I recall correctly, one of the issues is number of posts/day vs # of Mods.

ARC is a fairly busy place and one of the issue I seem to recall was mod overload.

So by the time a mod winnowed through a thread, many other comments had been posted.

I stand to be corrected on this.

This is me going by memory the last time one of these types of threads popped up.

Thread number 343 on why posts/threads got deleted.

The short answer, something happened, somebody did something about it.

The longer answer, cleaning up other people's messes is time consuming. If people can't keep things within boundaries, wholesale elimination is sometimes just a whole lot easier. It's not like any useful information tends to get lost in the vacuuming, just opinions.

Al P.

Heavy handed moderator with a large stick and an even bigger delete key.