Anyone here shoot models with a Nikon D3000?

I am interested in finding a lens to get up really close with my 1/72 jets. Anyone recommendations? All of those pics on dutycat.com were shot with an Olympus point and shoot. I'd like to do a little better.

I have the D-3000 and I shoot my models. Like you said about the macro lens, I think its a good option but I don't know that much about it. Sorry =(

I am interested in finding a lens to get up really close with my 1/72 jets. Anyone recommendations? All of those pics on dutycat.com were shot with an Olympus point and shoot. I'd like to do a little better.

I would just use the 18-55mm kit lens. :jaw-dropping: It can do close ups pretty well while attached to either my D5000 or D300s. From the front of the lens to your subject, I think it's about 4.5 inches for close focus or something like 11 inches from your subject to the sensor in the camera. :wacko: You can "zoom" in even more by cropping your photo in Photoshop or similar imaging software!

Here's an example with a Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18A using the 18-55mm kit lens and D5000 using aperture priority (f/22 if I remember everything right, LOL), the camera chose the shutter speed. Equipment was tripod mounted and shutter triggered with the Nikon infra-red remote (worth the $17-$20 I paid for it from B&H photo!). Lighting came from two 5000K lights bounced off of umbrellas (since upgraded to two SB-600s). You can also use the self-timer available on your camera (if you like to wait) to trip the shutter to avoid camera shake and by the way, if you tripod mount the camera and have VR (vibration reduction) on your lens, turn it off. Having it on introduces camera shake!

Stinger300-squadron-markings.jpg

Hope that helps (and saves you a bundle of $$$). Oh and most point and shoots have macro capability. Just mount it on a tripod and work on your lighting setups and it'll do almost the same thing as typed above (except that point and shoots can't use a circular polarizer). :whistle:

Ryan

Edited by PlasticWeapons

I don't have a Nikon, but I'm also finding the 18-55mm lens to do a fine job on models (too good if you ask me, it finds issues I can't see with my eye :whistle: ).

This is the cockpit from a 1/72 Albatros and I'm still figuring out the camera.

AlbatrosDV2.jpg

I don't have a Nikon, but I'm also finding the 18-55mm lens to do a fine job on models (too good if you ask me, it finds issues I can't see with my eye :cheers: ).

This is the cockpit from a 1/72 Albatros and I'm still figuring out the camera.

AlbatrosDV2.jpg

Nice seat !!! :whistle:

you should be ok with the kit lens !!

the thing you will find is

if you go macro with a dslr you will have a very shallow depth of field ( small area of focus !! )

it is better to shoot with a standard lens set to say 50mm then crop into it !!

All very informative replies. Thanks everyone. One of the problems I am having right now is light sources. I have an OTT-LIGHT on one side, a circular fluorescent on the other (one of those workbench light thingies with the magnifying glass in the middle), and overhead track lighting with four different bulbs. It all works ok, but get some weird shadows. I already have the remote shutter release and tripod.