How Many Kits In Your Stash?

Exactly 30, not counting partially builts; all are 1/72 aircraft except for a 1/72 fire truck, a 1/144 DC-3, a 1/600 warship and a 1/700 sub. This also doesn't count my railway stuff, and my various other collecting obsessions (books, bottles, hello kitty, flags, hockey stuff... I'm way too much of a packrat! Only my wines get a dedicated space) are fighting with the stash and the built models... though we're planning a move in March so I probably won't be adding to this for a while, and hopefully there'll be a bit more space in the new house for storage and display - but I'm not the only one here with a collection of stuff, so... :D

though we're planning a move in March so I probably won't be adding to this for a while, and hopefully there'll be a bit more space in the new house for storage and display - but I'm not the only one here with a collection of stuff, so... :D

Out of Langley area...eastbound or back in towards town? If only I had stopped at 30. :(

I think I'm around a 100. With the exception of the Ventura there isn't a whole lot I'm buying these days new. My main focus for the past year or so had been OOP kits, decals, and resin. Usually old Monogram Pro-Modeler kits catch my eye at swap meets/shows and anything well priced.

Talking about adding up the stash value, I was round a friends house and counted the amount of CD's he had then worked out how much they were worth considering at the time when he bought the CD's they were quiet expensive and mostly albums at an average price of £14, I estimated he had £8000 worth of CD's in his collection, so I would imagine that some people may have a large collection of models worth even more that £8000

I also collect music, and have roughly 1200 CD's and around 5200 LP's (amount changes weekly). Had special racks built just for the LP's alone, and they held about 4000 Lp's. It obvious that we need to get back in the rack business again! That will be a summer project, and plan on adding another 2500 LP capacity. The CD collection is going thru a change right now, and all will be loaded into several hard drives and run theu a servor that is tied into an I-Pad. Once that's done I will put them in storage till the end of time. The LP's are probably worth more than my house right now alone. Some are very rare, and worth a good bit of money (several are worth well over $500 a piece).

gary

Aaron, the two women involved (Anne and the insurance agent) practically twisted my arm to do it

according to the agent "it wouldn't be a true household value without including the hobby"

so, I sort of low balled it, to keep the premium down (even though it's cheap per year)

I carry a special insurance policey on my audio system ($25K) and another on the music alone ($100K). It wasn't that expensive in the end.

gary

Please let's not discuss other collections. I currently have around 6,000 CD's and another 1,000 vinyl singles and albums. Let us just say that my music collection alone is insured for over $100,000. This after I sold most of my Beatles LP's after I left the USAF for $3,000. That was rock bottom at the time, but that collection now would fetch at least 5 times that amount today, as most of those LP's were rare/collectible and are now long OOP. Optimistically my model stash is worth probably $8,000 or so. Fortunately, most of those have been bought second-hand, at a fraction of retail. They still represent a significant investment, but when I retire I have all I need to keep me busy!

if you want to start a new Beatles collection right now, you can buy most all the stuff brand new (never redid the Butcher Block and IVJ stuff)for about a grand or even less. Jazz LP's can be very valuble and a worth investment. Classical LP's can be bought on the cheap, and also seem to appreaciate rapidly in the right circles. Lables have much to do with it, and lables like Columbia Six Eyes and ECM really command a premium if they are out of print.

gary

61 in the stash plus 7 for sale.

1-1/144

3-1/72

22-1/48

27-1/32

8-1/24

I have pretty much all I wanted so I've been (mostly) good about not buying more.

I'd like to thin the stash even more since I build very slowly.

if you want to start a new Beatles collection right now, you can buy most all the stuff brand new (never redid the Butcher Block and IVJ stuff)for about a grand or even less. Jazz LP's can be very valuble and a worth investment. Classical LP's can be bought on the cheap, and also seem to appreaciate rapidly in the right circles. Lables have much to do with it, and lables like Columbia Six Eyes and ECM really command a premium if they are out of print.

gary

I'm going to definitely have to put an insurance policy on my camera equipment (lenses and bodies). Especially when you put the equivalent of $16,000.00 into equipment with the acquisition of the 600mm with more to come (eventually, I hope that I will acquire a 14-24mm f/2.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8 for landscapes, 300mm f/2.8 VRII for birds in flight and a D400 body (or the equivalent DX version when I'm ready to upgrade). This will definitely require insurance as a single theft of one of those lenses could put a significant dent into the equipment.

As far as model kits are concerned, I have a few limited edition models but nothing that I couldn't really replace if I needed to and frankly "if" I wanted to...that is.

Cheshire. I have a few old LPs, but all the classical LPs went out in the trash, courtesy of my mother. The only classical stuff I have is CDs and I don't know how much that's worth considering that a lot of the CDs are easily replaceable.

Edited by The_Animal

Looks like 600 on paper, It's time to do another physical count as I know I've sold a few, and gained a few, I try to keep them documented....

Curt

Its less than I thought!

- 58 on the shelf

- 3 in progress

- 2 are hangar queens where I really screwed up the finish and I don't want to start over again

In the last couple months I have built and given away 2, finished 2 for myself and sold 3 kits that I was never going to get to...

1009, +-2.5%

I thought I have kits I can't find, then have found kits I didn't know I had, when looking for others.

Including aircraft vehicles and boats;

1/72 - 474.

1/48 - 276.

1/32 - 32.

1/24 & 1/25 - 181.

1/12 - 12.

Miscellaneous other scales and subjects. Oodles.

G

Wow, some really busy builder's, I have 8,4 1:72 and 4 1:48's, never more than ten, 3 on my work bench. Back in school and changing career's, in per law at the moment and not much time for modeling. Considering I'm new at this craft, I can appreciate what others bring to the craft and why. If I need a new jet, I'll look here first. I do except donations though LOL.

Tonal :coolio:

By the beard of Zeus! I can't believe the size of some of you all's stashes!

I have about 10 airplanes in 1/48 scale that are in the stash and I feel like a lazy hoarder because of it. I can't imagine having over a hundred, or even 50! Some of you guys could open a hobby store with your stashes :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've spent the past 2 years revamping my stash. Sold off all of my excess and have focused on building a stash centered around my WWII uniform and artifact collection. So now I've got 30+ unbuilt kits in the stash that will be built to display alongside a uniform or next to a piece of the real airplane.

Wellington Mk.X HF485 - fragment recovered from crash site on 5 July 1944, crew KIA

Fw190A-3 W.Nr. 5467 - fragment recovered from wrecked airframe under restoration (I worked on this airplane in 1995)

P-40C 41-13333 - data plate

I've got nineteen uniforms or other artifacts that have at least one kit to go along with them too. Oh, and a few Tamiya P-47s to build from the profiles in my book!

Jon