How Many Kits In Your Stash?

A friend of mine passed away a few years ago. He had over 10,000 unbuilt kits. He was divorced so our IPMS Chapter helped his daughter sell of his estate.

He had a three bedroom house, there were kits everywhere, every bedroom and the basement was full. Even the kitchen had kits stacked. The official number was over 10,000 but it sure felt like more.

I almost sat on a couch once in his house only to find another kit under the cushions.

He had a couple under construction but nothing finished.

He also had books, decals, and aftermarket. It took us six months to a year to clear out his house. We had sales in the house.

Another member of our chapter had over 2,000 kits. When he saw this he started selling off all his kits. He is now down to less than 200. When he passes away he has directed his wife to invite us all over. He wants her to spread all the remaining sprues on the driveway and while we are watching he wants her to drive over and crush all the sprues with the family car.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, oh man. Whole lot of people hoarding plastic. lol. I too am curious as to how some of these folks think it's going to be possible to even put a dent in these stashes in a life time. Granted, some take less time to build than others, but even if you spent a week a piece (which I would assume would yield rather 'not so pretty' results) it would still take ages to build 1000+ models. I just started with my 'collecting', but I know what I like, and what I have an interest in building, and ultimately I wish to have a model collection that would roughly reflect all of the planes that one would see on static display at a moden day airshow. A mixture of current trainers, modern fighters, vintage, cargo haulers, and even helo's. After that, I'm not sure what I would want to build. I'm at 15, including the two that I have in work at the moment, but I plan on building all of them in a very timely fashion....down to the order in which I want to assemble them in order to build the "airshow collection". It's no cheap hobby, that's for sure, and I can't justify spending money now on something that I know that I won't need to build until at least a year down the road.

I do, however see some peoples justification in buying a model out of fear of it slipping out of production for another few years, or possibly forever, but I can't justify buying a model that I have no interest in just to satisfy that urge. I just want to build what I see when I go to airshows, and do a few customs for planes that I've personally worked on in my time in the Navy, and then after that maybe do builds for people for sentimental gifts. Because even if you were to build 1000+ models, where in the world would you possible display them all?? lol.

To each their own though. People thought I was crazy when I built a home cockpit for my flight simulator, but some just don't understand what makes others tick. I say as long as no one gets hurt, or neglected in the process, then stash away my plastic fascinated friends!!

Its hard for me to get an accurate count as I have a lot of them stored in large boxes but I believe I have 500+ 1/72 kits. I also have around 50 1/200 airliners & maybe 12 1/24 cars. Hmm... I think I have a plastic-holic problem :woot.gif:

I'm happy to hear that there are 1/72 scale aficionados in US too.

I had an impression that most of US-modellers tend to build large scale kits.

About 250 1/72 scale (including about 50 Hasegawa's Fw 190s, 15 Ju 88s and 30 Fine Molds' Bf 109s:) ), Zvezda's 1/48 Bf 109 F-2 and a few 1/32.

You've got enough there to stage a pretty good-sized raid on London. :thumbsup:

116, including Shelf-O-Doomers

5 primed and waiting for paint

7 more very close

18 on the trade shelf.

Plus a couple of paint mules that aren't counted in the total.

So, if I get my act together, I could reduce the stash to about 85ish reasonably quickly.

I wasn't going to add to it until it got down to what I felt was a reasonable level and then I went to a show....