How Many Kits In Your Stash?

I was just at Hobbylobby yesterday...most of you guys here have several times as many models as I saw there!

Unfortunately, that's because they're getting out of plastic....

The Hobby Lobbys by me aren't getting out of plastic. They seem to keep a decent supply although the shelf warmers do get put on clearance at a steady rate.

Has anyone been brave enough to add up the cost of their stash?

Not only the cost (as in, what I paid for it) but what it's worth now. It's appreciated considerably over the years - although to make genuine money, I'd need to have invested twenty times what I have.

Not only the cost (as in, what I paid for it) but what it's worth now. It's appreciated considerably over the years - although to make genuine money, I'd need to have invested twenty times what I have.

I've pulled all of my money out of the stock market to reinvest. Not in gold, but in what Mr. McGuier told me years ago:

Gawd knows how many but not on the scale of you guys, probably 30 odd, mainly 1/32 etc, the odd 1/35th train and sub etc.... A whole load of 1/32 21st Century ones as they were selling them off in the UK at £1-99 each, so have now about 10 of each, you get some funny looks when you walk into a store and pick up 30 kits all the same, but they were £10-15 plus each, but have donated some and given / sold / traded some of those.... Few 200mm resin figures too, and 4 of those on order.....

I also have the ORIGINAL Frog model Box lid Artwork for the Barracuda, Blenheim and Stuka, they were on evil bay and I got them each for £20-25, have some collector wants them off me and he may well get them :thumbsup:

These ones

http://i.ebayimg.com/02/!B-eEWKwCGk~&a...pRcP6w~~_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!B-PWQlg!W...BenuEw~~_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/11/!B7G,u7!CG...t2Ulig~~_12.JPG

:)

Edited by TonyT

Not many for me...I'm at 16 total last time I counted. Five are 1/32 jets, six are 1/48 jets, three are WWII artillery, one is a 1/35 helo, and one is a 1/12 Tamiya bike. I used to have a large stash of more than 100 or so 1/35 WWII artillery kits (huge fan of those suckers) but I've reduced it to what I have now mainly by trading here on ARC and other sites for items I really want to build (i.e. 1/32 jets). I'm good now, I think, but I can't say I won't add to the stash in the months to come. There are just too many cool subjects I want. I'm also a huge fan of modeling tools so if I count those I'd be in trouble... ;)

My problem with stashing is that my modeling moods change all the time. It only takes one picture in a book or the net or a footage on TV for the spark to ignite the fire (sort of speak). After having literally abandoned aviation modeling altogether some five years ago to delve into WWII armor/artillery - all because of a documentary I saw - I am now coming back 'full throttle' into modern jets (my modeling roots) mainly as a result of a book on the Navy's Aggressor/Adversary squadrons I received as a birthday present last year. Now, all I can think about is getting the kits and decals to build as many of these aggressors as I can. I've long realized this is an addiction. I no longer try to fight it. As long as modeling doesn't interfere with more important life affairs (roof over our heads and food on the table) I get what I need when I need it. As some of you, I don't spend money on any other vices except for this one. So, I have fun and enjoy the process...

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN
My problem with stashing is that my modeling moods change all the time. It only takes one picture in a book or the net or a footage on TV for the spark to ignite the fire (sort of speak). After having literally abandoned aviation modeling altogether some five years ago to delve into WWII armor/artillery - all because of a documentary I saw - I am now coming back 'full throttle' into modern jets (my modeling roots) mainly as a result of a book on the Navy's Aggressor/Adversary squadrons I received as a birthday present last year. Now, all I could think about is getting the kits and decals to build as many of these aggressors as I can. I've long realized this is an addiction. I no longer try to fight it. As long as modeling doesn't interfere with more important life affairs (roof over our heads and food on the table) I get what I need when I need it. As some of you, I don't spend money on any other vices except for this one. So, I have fun and enjoy the process...

Rob

That is a big part of the size of my stash, I build just about everything. I was getting to the point that I had most of the cars / trucks I was really interested in, then I got into armor, then fire bombers, then helicopters, then WW1, then interwar aircraft, now WW2 /Korea. So I have 8 fairly mild stashes that combined is respectable, but nowhere near the upper end (probably 50-100 in each category, except armor which is considerably smaller). The thing is I know the interest will come around again, so I don't get into the "lost interest" stash purges of some. I have room, I'm not raiding my retirement fund to support it and my wife doesn't mind, so its not hurting anything.

I'm trying to keep the size of my pile reasonable. Currently there are about 50 boxes, all 1:72 aircraft. The main principles are - I'm only buying a kit when

- the price is bargain - most of unbuild kits are bought on eBay for less than £10

- "arbitrage opportunity" - buy Zvezda when you are in Russia and AModel when you are in Ukraine - it will be 2-3 times as cheap

- the kit is rare - resin or vacuform

- short runs - you'd better buy them when they are just released and molds are sharp

and the last but not least - I never buy a kit if I don't want to build it right away

I think I'm over 800 now. That's after being back in the hobby for less than five years. Mostly 1/48 WWII props, but some armor (both 1/35 and 1/72) and a number of 1/72 and 1/32 props. I've only got a couple of jets (MiG-15 and F-86). I've got a few figures as well, both 1/35th and Moebius / Playing Mantis types. Perhaps a few dozen cars. One or two dinosaurs. No ships.

I've thought of getting rid of some, but I do have the room (barely), so I'll probably keep them all for a while.

I don't have much aftermarket except for decals, of which I've got over 500 (I think). The decals are the only part of my stash I have cataloged, and that's just in a text file. I catalog them so I don't buy duplicates.

Edited by zeus60
... I don't take a long time to do a kit (and it shows LOL), i think the longest was about six weeks. Anything over that and i get bored! I really admire the work by (who i would consider) professional modelers who do take a long time and work to the enth degree, and build works of art!

I on the other hand am a propellor head and just like the very act of constructing something, in the evenings after work to wind down. Don't watch TV because i find it boring and i need to keep my mind busy, and this fits the bill. Since coming back to modelling about six years ago (with the birth of my second son) ive completed around a hundred kits. Which is one every three weeks or so, and i don't show any signs of slowing down!! For six years there has always been a kit on my desk being made.

I buy anything that fires my imagination, i get the same pleasure now as when i did it as a child and that for me "floats my boat" as it were. So i proberbly will get through all my stash at some point, but i will have to move to a bigger house. That or i start putting them in the bedroom Lol!!!! :cheers:

Except for the fact that I don't have a family, this describes me to a tee, although my build rate is a little slower.

I got about 100 kits / upgrade sets. Used to be around 500, but that other 400 had to go :cheers:

A lot of it ended up in the local hobby shop. I feel as if I'm in my old stash every time that I go in there.

Don't think I've got a kit since Has put their 1/48 F-16I Sufa out again.

I can type up a list of what I'd like to get if I had the $, but there's no $ :wacko:

Regards,

Gerard

I have 12 in total. I have 3 on the workbench although my 1/72 (only one of this scale in the stash) Predator has become more of a testbed for my skills. All mine are 1/48 scale jets with the exception of the Predator and a 1/350 Oliver Hazzard Perry Class Frigate that never got finished (Stupid masts broke). A lot of mine came form the annual hobby show. I'm sure that the stash will grow after X-mas. I really want the 1/48 S-3 Viking. :whistle:

I haven't counted but it's less than a dozen. I have made an effort over the past year to not buy any until I finished a few more. I promised myself back in September that I woudn't buy another kit until I had finished three that I already have. I'm down to the last few tiny details on one, have one that just needs weathering and then the last few tiny details, and then have two more that I just painted over the weekend. So the end of my own personal banishment is in sight... kind of. ;~)

I haven't counted them since probably 2003 when it was just over 100, but I imagine it's around 150 now, maybe 175. I too consider myself a collector of kits after coming back into the USAF, and wonder if I'll ever build them all. In fact, I'm waiting for the mail man to deliver a little collection of ten, 1/144 Century Series kit I just ordered, so add those to the stash. They are those pre-painted kits which I usually stay away from, but I like them, and think I can knock them out pretty quickly. I have boxes in the garage of kits that have just been peeked into the past three years. My son took a good chunk of the kits for himself -- maybe ten -- but hasn't built one for about a year. (Girls, work, school, etc.!) Me? Work, including deployments.

I do remember when I started building 35-some years ago, and could knock out a kit over a weekend at the least, and a week at the most. Of the few photos that survive of those kits, they look pretty good to me even now. I think I could build like that again, but I know so much more about the hobby now I really wonder if I could. Hmm...?

Mark

My totals are as follows:

1/144 - 1/200: 59

1/72: 71

1/48: 91

1/32: 5

Total: 226

If I build 3 models per year (which is my average), then it'll take me 75 years to build this little lot, which would take me to the ripe old age of 128!.....I think I'm gonna need to sell some kits.

I'm up to around 120+ somewhere, not counting the ones on (or around) my workbench which have been started - all 1/48 except for 1 1/72, 2 1/32, 3 1/350 and 5 1/35. I know I have 4 kits that I'm currently working on - aside from the B-58 which is on a hold for a bit... (which I guess would bring that total to 5).

The ones I'm currently working on:

1/48 A-6 (I know the in-progress thread hasn't been updated, but that's cause its been too cold to paint)

1/48 F-80

1/48 Do 335 (mostly done, just awaiting a paint job also)

1/72 EF-111A for the DS GB (pics & thread to follow shortly)

And the 1/48 B-58 which is on a temporary hold.

So that's what I got...

1/48 A-6 (I know the in-progress thread hasn't been updated, but that's cause its been too cold to paint)

I always wondered about that statement. In my old house you could find me airbrushing on the back deck year round. Except during snowstorms. Even -20 I NEVER had a problem except for fingers and toes getting chilly.

I always wondered about that statement. In my old house you could find me airbrushing on the back deck year round. Except during snowstorms. Even -20 I NEVER had a problem except for fingers and toes getting chilly.

For me its not a paint issue - its a cold issue - in the sense that being from warmer climates, and not currently having a garage, I don't like doing that particular task in the cold. Now hunting on the other hand......

I've got 173 in the stash, with 60 being 1/35 modern armor kits and most of the rest 1/72 aircraft (except for three 1/48 kits). Most of the planes are modern jets and prop-jets, with a handful of WWII props thrown in for variety. On top of that, I've got two builds in progress, a 1/72 Fujimi F-4E and a 1/35 Tamiya JGSDF LAV. At the rate I build these days (what with a busy job and an 18-month-old), it will take me 87 years to build down my stash...