How Many Kits In Your Stash?

Stephen, I can give you two quick examples of how I got to "stashing"

a short time ago, my collection expanded "sideways" into one of each F-4 variant in regular production,,,,when I got to the F-4G, I discovered that the Hasegawa 1/72 kit was OOP,,,,,so, I bought a Fujimi and a Testors,,,,then, Hasegawa re released the G in new decals, which weren't the famous WW tail codes,,,,so, I have the Hasegawa kit with the Fujimi decals for my collection, with a Fujimi and 2 Testors/Tamiya kits in the stash for later on

the other happened in my "normal" collection,,,,,the Fujimi A-6's got "hard to get" for awhile, so I ordered 4 of each from Hong Kong,,,,by the time they got here, I realized I still don't have quite enough for the A-6 squadrons in my "one of each USN squadron" collection, which is my main "theme" that I am building towards

now, when kits come out,,,,,,,,,,I buy them,,,,,,,,,it's either now,,,,or after they are OOP

as I said, still some that I missed out on,,,,,,I only have one F3D, and will "need" 3 more

thank goodness for other "stashers" though,,,,,they get listed now and then, and I pick up what I can

Rex

I get the impression there are a large number of shopping addicts on here rather than model builders :huh: It's been mentioned before, but what do you do with a pile of 2000 kits ( other than open a shop ). Most modellers would be dead before clearing a quarter of that number. The other thing that confuses me is why people have a pile of 10 identical kits amongst their stash. Two or three I could understand to cover a few variants, but I've seen a number of stash photos with piles and piles of identical kits. Is this really a forum for shopping addicts? :wub:

I have 5 kits ( mostly 1/48 bombers ), only two of which I bought, the others were given to me by friends clearing out their workshops. I consider that a large supply that will last me a few years. I don't feel the need to collect further kits until these are built and out of the way.

I got sick of going to buy a kit only to find out it is no longer available, so when I have the money and see a kit I want I buy it. When I see a smoking deal on a kit I grab it.

As far as multiple copies? popular aircraft are used by many people and multiple uses. I only have a few with more than 3 or 4 copies, the Sikorsky S-55 (H-19), S-58 (H-34) and Sea King, all three were used by dozens of nations and multiple services within those nations as well as civilian service. I could easily build 50 H-34s without duplicating a scheme or service, so its not like just changing nose art and tail numbers.

Is there a way to respond to this thread anonymously?

Ok, guess not, so you guys will have to agree to help keep this thread on the down low or the SWMBO will KILL me.

I currently have 217 1 48 aircraft models in the stash, with 10 of those being in various stages of completion. I also have a 1 35 cold war armor stash, but it is in storage and I haven't added anything to it for about 10 years. I have about 15 or 20 kits in that group as well, including some rare resin conversions of Soviet/Russian armor. One of these days I have to get around to cataloging the armor kits, so that I know what I actually have.

I get the impression there are a large number of shopping addicts on here rather than model builders :huh: It's been mentioned before, but what do you do with a pile of 2000 kits ( other than open a shop ). Most modellers would be dead before clearing a quarter of that number. The other thing that confuses me is why people have a pile of 10 identical kits amongst their stash. Two or three I could understand to cover a few variants, but I've seen a number of stash photos with piles and piles of identical kits. Is this really a forum for shopping addicts? :wub:

I have 5 kits ( mostly 1/48 bombers ), only two of which I bought, the others were given to me by friends clearing out their workshops. I consider that a large supply that will last me a few years. I don't feel the need to collect further kits until these are built and out of the way.

In some respects i would have to agree with you there. In my case though (see pic's above) half of my stash is a collection of Matchbox kits that hopefully are a bit of an investment/ inheritance for the kids, they will proberbly never get built. I used to build only Matchbox kits as a child so its also a nostalgia trip. The rest were picked up over time for cheap. I don't take a long time to do a kit (and it shows LOL), i think the longest was about six weeks. Anything over that and i get bored! I really admire the work by (who i would consider) professional modelers who do take a long time and work to the enth degree, and build works of art!

I on the other hand am a propellor head and just like the very act of constructing something, in the evenings after work to wind down. Don't watch TV because i find it boring and i need to keep my mind busy, and this fits the bill. Since coming back to modelling about six years ago (with the birth of my second son) ive completed around a hundred kits. Which is one every three weeks or so, and i don't show any signs of slowing down!! For six years there has always been a kit on my desk being made.

I buy anything that fires my imagination, i get the same pleasure now as when i did it as a child and that for me "floats my boat" as it were. So i proberbly will get through all my stash at some point, but i will have to move to a bigger house. That or i start putting them in the bedroom Lol!!!! :huh:

Has anyone been brave enough to add up the cost of their stash?
Oy.

If I just use an average of $20 each I'm into it for $20K.

Something tells me it is significantly higher.

I don't want to think about this any more, and we certainly won't mention this to SWMBO. :wub:

I think the Matchbox portion cost around £400 - 500. The rest i would assume was something similar. I don't think that to bad considering i don't spent my money on anything else. Don't really drink, don't smoke and i don't do shopping. I work to keep a roof over the familys head, and any bit i make on the side i spend on models!

Its my only real vice!!! :wub:

after my brother in law lost his Nascar collection in a house fire, his insurance reimbursed his loss (monetarily, anyway),,,,,SWMBO made me add my collection to the homeowner's insurance

we did it at $12 K, even though it's prolly higher

I figured with that amount, I could start to start over, after getting a new house, etc

eh, I'd just change the theme a bit, and build back up from there

Talking about adding up the stash value, I was round a friends house and counted the amount of CD's he had then worked out how much they were worth considering at the time when he bought the CD's they were quiet expensive and mostly albums at an average price of £14, I estimated he had £8000 worth of CD's in his collection, so I would imagine that some people may have a large collection of models worth even more that £8000

Aaron, if you ever want to part with one of those H-34's, please don't forget ME! I want one (yeah that's it, ONE:wasntme: ) in the worst way.

I probably should have mentioned scale... 1/72, not the ellusive 1/48 Revell H-34, sorry. :bandhead2:

Actually yes, "how much have you spent on the hobby" came up last week on another forum. If I paid full retail for all my unbuilt kits, books, tools, supplies etc I would guess $20-25,000. In reality I probably paid 1/2 that over 10 years which is nothing, I could blow $100 a month going out for coffee on the way to work.

after my brother in law lost his Nascar collection in a house fire, his insurance reimbursed his loss (monetarily, anyway),,,,,SWMBO made me add my collection to the homeowner's insurance

we did it at $12 K, even though it's prolly higher

I figured with that amount, I could start to start over, after getting a new house, etc

eh, I'd just change the theme a bit, and build back up from there

Did you have any trouble with your insurance? I've thought of doing the same thing. Not even counting the models I probably have at least $6000-8000 in books, and tools. Just the model paint is probably $600.

Just think how many other models you could buy if you took a flask of coffee to work!

Ah, but I do.

I got one of those nifty espresso makers when my old coffee maker died. It didn't cost me much more than a regular one, so now I can have espresso doubleventimochalattechinos for the price of a cup of 7-11 coffee. :wasntme:

I said I could blow $100 on coffee, I didn't say I did. I just watch people who stap at Starbucks every morning 5x $5 x 4 weeks = $100 a month.

Edited by Aaronw

Aaron, the two women involved (Anne and the insurance agent) practically twisted my arm to do it

according to the agent "it wouldn't be a true household value without including the hobby"

so, I sort of low balled it, to keep the premium down (even though it's cheap per year)

Talking about adding up the stash value, I was round a friends house and counted the amount of CD's he had then worked out how much they were worth considering at the time when he bought the CD's they were quiet expensive and mostly albums at an average price of £14, I estimated he had £8000 worth of CD's in his collection, so I would imagine that some people may have a large collection of models worth even more that £8000

Please let's not discuss other collections. I currently have around 6,000 CD's and another 1,000 vinyl singles and albums. Let us just say that my music collection alone is insured for over $100,000. This after I sold most of my Beatles LP's after I left the USAF for $3,000. That was rock bottom at the time, but that collection now would fetch at least 5 times that amount today, as most of those LP's were rare/collectible and are now long OOP. Optimistically my model stash is worth probably $8,000 or so. Fortunately, most of those have been bought second-hand, at a fraction of retail. They still represent a significant investment, but when I retire I have all I need to keep me busy!

Oh, god, I'm at 50. :thumbsup:

modelstash_11-28-2010.jpg

no new additions. Though I am drooling over the 1/32nd scale Trumpeter F-14D and the 1/48 Hasegawa Raptor. But not until after I get my bloody 600mm f/4.

The big brown box is the 48 BONE and the one hiding behind the picture is the 1/48 SR-71.

The stuff behind the grey shelf panel is SWMBO's stash. :whistle:

Edited by The_Animal